Michigan Men's Basketball: AKA the Michigan revenue sport that doesn't have an uber jaded fanbase waiting in the dark for failure.

romad1

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

In the final analysis, as big money sports have evolved they have become more a mismatch to the core mission at a school like UM than ever, but that won't make any difference to them.

I'm perfectly happy to be entertained as fan, but the truth is that as someone with almost 50 yrs of skin in the game with the University community here, if it all went away tomorrow the truth is I wouldn't shed a tear over it.

Likewise. I think the majority of the academics who pull the strings at Michigan are the same, but at the same time, money talks. In a big money sport, money yells.

Schools across the US are perfectly content to contribute to questionable ethics within athletics on one hand while publicly praising their commitment to integrity and academic excellence on the other. Seldom are they put into a position where they have to choose though, and that’s where M finds themselves now.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The players had to restrain the coach.  That's a bad, bad look.    

I’ m anxious to see how UM administration and Big Ten respond. I would expect this will lead to pretty severe consequences. We’ll see.

6 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I guess we're just not allowed to have good things. A year ago we all thought and hoped Juwan was the second coming but things haven't been so rosy this year to say the least. 

Sophomore slump maybe?  I'll withhold judgment until year 3. If year 3 is like this, it may be time to call Beilein back. 😉

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Weak.

I hope more is done behind the scenes that isn’t seen by the public. A Michigan-Wisconsin rematch in the B1G tourney is a real possibility, can Juwan keep his cool for that? The more time passed, the more I wanted to see him fired, or at least indefinitely suspended through the postseason.

I was thinking of Game 6 of the 1997 Western Conference Finals in the NHL when the Wings were winning 6-0 and Brendan Shanahan beat Rene Corbet to a pulp and Marc Crawford was leaning over the divider between the benches and screaming at Scotty Bowman.  He was less than a foot away from his face.  If Crawford had reached over and slapped Bowman in the head he would have been fired immediately -- and that's hockey. 

5 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I was thinking of Game 6 of the 1997 Western Conference Finals in the NHL when the Wings were winning 6-0 and Brendan Shanahan beat Rene Corbet to a pulp and Marc Crawford was leaning over the divider between the benches and screaming at Scotty Bowman.  He was less than a foot away from his face.  If Crawford had reached over and slapped Bowman in the head he would have been fired immediately -- and that's hockey. 

Yeah - Marc Crawford was pretty nuts. (Of course hitting Scotty in the head might hurt - doesn't he have a metal plate in his head?)  

13 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Yeah - Marc Crawford was pretty nuts. (Of course hitting Scotty in the head might hurt - doesn't he have a metal plate in his head?)  

Yes.  And I think Marc Crawford made a couple of comments about it during the exchange.   And Crawford and Bowman were actually friends at one point. 

I have to admit to a failure.  The incident was not Game 6, it was Game 4.  I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by ignorance.  I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future. 

I think Juwan is very lucky to still have his job.    This was not his first meltdown.    And I don't think the timeout had anything to do with it,  I think a bad season had everything to do with it he better learn how to deal with that quickly because every team is going to have some bad years. 

Next time they play Wisconsin I am sure Juwan and Gard are going to be all hugs.  I don't think they hate each other. 

I think some attention needs to be turned to Warde Manuel because things are not healthy in that department and they need more than a Harbaugh buddy to do that job.  

17 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Weak.

I hope more is done behind the scenes that isn’t seen by the public. A Michigan-Wisconsin rematch in the B1G tourney is a real possibility, can Juwan keep his cool for that? The more time passed, the more I wanted to see him fired, or at least indefinitely suspended through the postseason.

I agree....I have loved the Howard hiring from day 1, and I was shocked at his outbursts before, but this is insane...in a short period of time he has turned into Bobby Knight without the legendary results....and frankly results don't matter to me when a coach is lashing out like this repeatedly.

He needs to go.  I realize this will suck for U/M basketball on several levels, but I cannot cheer for a guy who thinks he can physically threaten people when he gets upset about something.

I realize that Gard grabbed him, but it was very momentary, and Howard grabbed Gard's sweatshirt and started to yank Gard towards himself like he was going to jack him up.  Then they were separated and Howard had plenty of chance to reset himself or walk away, and instead Howard lunged back several times and swung his hand.  Just insane.

Howard needs to go.

...all of this over some stupid unwritten rule BS....Howard should be upset at himself for the state of this team, not projecting his problems on other coaches.  Unwritten rules are excuses for losers to act self-righteous as if the violation of the unwritten rule somehow overshadows their failure.

howard overreacted and there is a good case that he should be fired, but he's not bobby knight in terms of behavior.  

mgoblog writes up the "he's a black guy who was grabbed by a white guy" excuse, which i dont buy for a minute.  but wiscy folks got in his face and he reacted like a juvenile and not like a leader of men.  howard appears to be unable to control his emotions.

i would understand if they fired him, and i understand why they didnt.  but he embarassed the university.  again.  he gets another chance because he is a favorite son, successful, and well liked and respected in basketball circles.

no more chances for howard after this.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2022 at 12:55 PM, buddha said:

howard overreacted and there is a good case that he should be fired, but he's not bobby knight in terms of behavior.  

mgoblog writes up the "he's a black guy who was grabbed by a white guy" excuse, which i dont buy for a minute.  but wiscy folks got in his face and he reacted like a juvenile and not like a leader of men.  howard appears to be unable to control his emotions.

i would understand if they fired him, and i understand why they didnt.  but he embarassed the university.  again.  he gets another chance because he is a favorite son, successful, and well liked and respected in basketball circles.

no more chances for howard after this.

I wonder if they are making him do an anger management course. It could actually help him...

On 3/7/2022 at 7:28 AM, Motor City Sonics said:

Well They have an outside shot at the tournament.  If they get bounced in the first game of the BTT then they are done, but if they get to the Semis they are probably in.     Punchy The Clown is back at the helm.   Or is it Slappy The Clown?  

they're probably in already.  theyre a lock if they beat indiana in rd one of the tourney.