Michigan Men's Basketball: AKA the Michigan revenue sport that doesn't have an uber jaded fanbase waiting in the dark for failure.

romad1

7 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

shouldn't be one.   He should be out. Enough of this nonsense.  

People should NEVER involve their kids in their business.  For Jim Harbaugh it appears Jay is a very good coach.  For Kirk Ferentz and Juwan Howard, their kids will be the death of their careers (or even his actual death in Juwan's case).

7 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

He should have been out after embarrassing himself in the handshake line against Wisconsin.

Yes, he should have been out that night.    It was ridiculous when Bobby Knight did that stuff 30-40 years ago and he got away with way too much, it certain doesn't play these days.   Supposed to set an example.   

5 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Yes, he should have been out that night.    It was ridiculous when Bobby Knight did that stuff 30-40 years ago and he got away with way too much, it certain doesn't play these days.   Supposed to set an example.   

both have anger mgmt issues but bobby knight was a bully.  he picked on people who had less authority than them and made them feel stupid so he could feel better about himself.

juwan has problems when he feels he or his team or his kids are being attacked/disrespected.

both involve controlling their emotions, but one (knight) is much worse than the other, imo.

that said, juwan was on his last legs after the wisconsin incident.  if there is another incident then he'll need to be disciplined or perhaps let go.  he cant be the head man of a college team and act like that.

30 minutes ago, buddha said:

both have anger mgmt issues but bobby knight was a bully.  he picked on people who had less authority than them and made them feel stupid so he could feel better about himself.

juwan has problems when he feels he or his team or his kids are being attacked/disrespected.

both involve controlling their emotions, but one (knight) is much worse than the other, imo.

that said, juwan was on his last legs after the wisconsin incident.  if there is another incident then he'll need to be disciplined or perhaps let go.  he cant be the head man of a college team and act like that.

It feels to me like Warde Manuel seems to love Juwan more than he loves Harbaugh.  I don't have any confidence he'll let him go.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

Would Beilein ever consider coming back? I would have thought Juwan would at least be a good recruiter, but it’s been a while since I’ve seen this team so bereft of talent. What a free-fall. 

He's 70. He probably would consider it if asked, but he I don't think he should be asked, unless maybe as an advisory role. Find a young up-and-comer who can recruit, cheat, and not get caught cheating.

30 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

He's 70. He probably would consider it if asked, but he I don't think he should be asked, unless maybe as an advisory role. Find a young up-and-comer who can recruit, cheat, and not get caught cheating.

nate oats.

4 hours ago, djhutch said:

I'd be okay with them going after Brian Dutcher - or somebody like McDermott from Creighton

dutcher has fab five ties.  no way they ask him.  plus he is 64 years old.

nate oats should be their first call.  he is local and has reportedly always wanted the michigan job.  and he's a good coach.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I'd add Mick Cronin (UCLA), Eric Musselman (Arkansas), and Sean Miller (Xavier) as poachable candidates with a large enough check. 

mick cronin isnt exactly setting the world on fire at ucla.  and why would he leave ucla for michigan?  that's a step down in bball land.  sean miller was in the center of the pay for play controversy and michigan wont touch that (unless thy name is harbaugh).  musselman is 60.  likely too old.

we'll see if michigan can get past its holier than thou past and hire someone who isnt pristine and pure like a good michigan man should be /sarcasm.  maybe this whole ncaa harbaugh witch hunt finally woke them up to the idea that the ncaa is a joke so you might as well just go along and get along.

i doubt it.  but a boy can dream.

I don't know.   I wasn't that excited when the hired Juwan and then he had that great first year, with John's players, right?  Sounds like Brady Hoke succeeding  with Rich Rod's recruits and then tanking after that.  

Plus the whole swinging at another coach, which is indefensible.  

If they fire him are people going to complain about it being so soon after the heart attack?   That's what happened to him, right, he had a heart attack? 

2-9 Since he came back and one of those was vs. Eastern Michigan?   For those of you unfamiliar, that's a MAC school in another part of the state called Ipsalanny and they aren't even a good MAC team, and they had to travel all the way to Ann Arbor for that game. 

This is one of the worst seasons in Michigan basketball history.    

33 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I don't know.   I wasn't that excited when the hired Juwan and then he had that great first year, with John's players, right?  Sounds like Brady Hoke succeeding  with Rich Rod's recruits and then tanking after that.  

Plus the whole swinging at another coach, which is indefensible.  

If they fire him are people going to complain about it being so soon after the heart attack?   That's what happened to him, right, he had a heart attack? 

2-9 Since he came back and one of those was vs. Eastern Michigan?   For those of you unfamiliar, that's a MAC school in another part of the state called Ipsalanny and they aren't even a good MAC team, and they had to travel all the way to Ann Arbor for that game. 

This is one of the worst seasons in Michigan basketball history.    

I think if they fire him people will say they should have done it after he threw a punch/slap on national television.

i fairness to juwan, the university prevented them from getting caleb love and terrance shannon, which would have made the team much better.

however, he still has to coach the team and the results have been poor (and getting poorer) every year.

it all started with his kids.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, buddha said:

i fairness to juwan, the university prevented them from getting caleb love and terrance shannon, which would have made the team much better.

however, he still has to coach the team and the results have been poor (and getting poorer) every year.

it all started with his kids.

They shouldn't be hiring someone who's never been a head coach before at a program at the (former) level of Michigan.  

Maybe if you had an assistant at another MAJOR program who was blocked from ascending where they were (like an Izzo assistant) and if it was an assistant, one from the college ranks, not the pros.  

I remember the Fab Five after losing one of their championships and walking back to the locker room lobbing f-bombs at the camera.  Even at 19 that's a bad look and based on the tantrums and throwing of hands,  I don't think he's matured that much since then.     

On 1/28/2024 at 12:59 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

They shouldn't be hiring someone who's never been a head coach before at a program at the (former) level of Michigan

He'd not only not run a program, he had no college coaching (read recruiting) experience of any kind. No less In the era of 'one and done' when you need to rebuild the team virtually every year.