Michigan Men's Basketball: AKA the Michigan revenue sport that doesn't have an uber jaded fanbase waiting in the dark for failure.

romad1

6 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Who's on your short list.

not chris collins.  a guy who has been average at northwestern?  below average a lot of the time.  he was going to get fired not too long ago but northwestern doesnt care enough to let him go.

10 minutes ago, buddha said:

not chris collins.  a guy who has been average at northwestern?  below average a lot of the time.  he was going to get fired not too long ago but northwestern doesnt care enough to let him go.

What do you think of someone like Tony Bennett (UVa) looks like he needs a change of scenery. 

I haven't been keeping up with CBB the last 2-3 years since Michigan has been bad but I know FAU made the Final Four last year and Louisville was interested in May so I presume this is a good hire.

Edited by RandyMarsh

9 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Youngish, successful, zero prior Michigan baggage.

Given the program's luck the last 12 months or so, he'll be robbing a bank and holding a den of cub scouts at knife point as hostages by Friday.

Just now, romad1 said:

Given the program's luck the last 12 months or so, he'll be robbing a bank and holding a den of cub scouts at knife point as hostages by Friday.

btw, see thread title and my post.  How things have changed.

I think this is about a good of a hire as they could’ve expected.  I agree with @buddha that UM hoops is currently lacking the proper support needed to consistently be a top program.   

If the NIL and admissions support were where it needed then Juwan is still the coach and leading his #1 overall seed led by Caleb Love, Terrance Shannon, and Hunter Dickinson into the Sweet 16. 

Edited by Hongbit

13 minutes ago, GoBlue23 said:

Dickinson made comments last year that while at Michigan, his NIL money was "less than 6 figures".  He received something around $850k for his year with Kansas.   I just can't see Michigan ever putting together a team that has a chance to win it all under the current NIL system.  

I think this is probably true, but I also think the current NIL system is not likely to remain in place for very long. The money to pay the players eventually has to start coming from the money they actually generate - i.e the game media revenue. The NIL system is fundamentally a fantasy, players are being paid out of money which is in reality donations instead of the money their sports are actually generating.  That's unsustainable - not to mention stupid.

• 2 weeks later...

So far I'm impressed with what I've read, UMHoops, and elsewhere about May.

The first two assistants he has hired are supposedly very good recruiters and Boynton is an excellent defensive coach.  Supposedly Rooth is in AA and may end up staying with UM.