3/19/24 6:05PM EDT Phillies @ Tigers

We attended tonight’s game. I’ll stay with my only two personal predictions from the start of spring training. Jack Flaherty will receive votes for the AL Cy Young Award if he stays healthy. I believe Tork will regress offensively this year. I hope he proves me wrong. 
On the road in the morning to Ft. Myers.

The fans in Lakeland tonight were either quiet, or supportive of Baez, when he was at the plate. He did hit one on the nose but it was an at’em. Hinch & Company have a difficult decision to make if Baez doesn’t figure something out with the bat. 

11 minutes ago, 1776 said:

The fans in Lakeland tonight were either quiet, or supportive of Baez, when he was at the plate. He did hit one on the nose but it was an at’em. Hinch & Company have a difficult decision to make if Baez doesn’t figure something out with the bat. 

It's not hopeless quite yet - he has barreled up a few recently with little to show. The 1st AB tonight was terrible though -  totally non-competitive.

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

We attended tonight’s game. I’ll stay with my only two personal predictions from the start of spring training. Jack Flaherty will receive votes for the AL Cy Young Award if he stays healthy. I believe Tork will regress offensively this year. I hope he proves me wrong. 
On the road in the morning to Ft. Myers.

I don't think Flaherty will receive Cy Young votes, but I do think he's going to surprise some people.  

6 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

I don't think Flaherty will receive Cy Young votes, but I do think he's going to surprise some people.  

In a league where the Cy Young has been won by Rick Porcello and Robbie Ray, it's certainly possible.

7 hours ago, 1776 said:

How about that dive, catch, and throw right on a dime to 1B?  The TV guys were saying it probably gets challenged in the regular season, and that's probably true.  But he threw it in a spot that Torkelson didn't even have to scoop from.

50 minutes ago, casimir said:

How about that dive, catch, and throw right on a dime to 1B?  The TV guys were saying it probably gets challenged in the regular season, and that's probably true.  But he threw it in a spot that Torkelson didn't even have to scoop from.

Killer defensive play but I believe the runner was safe. I told my wife after that play that was the Javy they want to keep on the field.

3 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Killer defensive play but I believe the runner was safe. I told my wife after that play that was the Javy they want to keep on the field.

While we're talking defense, Rogers had himself a first inning.  Pounced on a dribbler along the 3rd base line, twirled and tossed a seed to Torkelson's chest.  Fluidly framed a 3rd strike for another out.  Gunned down Merrifield at 2nd on a delayed steal after a chesting a bounced pitch off of the corner of the plate.

Hinch was interviewed in the next inning and said that wasn't even the best part of it.  He was more impressed with Rogers' pitch calling early on.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

Is Urshela making the team ?

Yes, but it'll be interesting to see who doesn't.  Matt Vierling, Zach McKinstry, Andy Ibanez, Akil Baddoo, Ryan Kreidler, there's only room for 3 of them, along with Carson Kelly, assuming they take 13 pitchers. 

Skubal, Maeda, Flaherty, Manning, Olson/Mize for the rotation. 

Lange, Foley, Miller, Chafin, Diaz, Faedo, Briske, Wentz. 

One of Olson/Mize will have to be sent to AAA.  Gipson-Long, Holton, and Vest will likely not make the team unless there's an injury. 

Don't see much hope for Baddoo, they've only given him 25 AB and he hasn't hit in those so that doesn't appear like much of an effort to have him ready to go with the regulars. They'll send Kreidler down just because they want him staying sharp at SS and to get full time ABs. If Javy can't get it together they need him ready as he can be.

The service time/super 2 issue is probably enough to cost Olson the nod, unless Casey or Manning comes up with an issue in the remaining days.

53 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Yes, but it'll be interesting to see who doesn't.  Matt Vierling, Zach McKinstry, Andy Ibanez, Akil Baddoo, Ryan Kreidler, there's only room for 3 of them, along with Carson Kelly, assuming they take 13 pitchers. 

Skubal, Maeda, Flaherty, Manning, Olson/Mize for the rotation. 

Lange, Foley, Miller, Chafin, Diaz, Faedo, Briske, Wentz. 

One of Olson/Mize will have to be sent to AAA.  Gipson-Long, Holton, and Vest will likely not make the team unless there's an injury. 

No way Holton doesn't make this team out of ST.

26 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

No way Holton doesn't make this team out of ST.

Diaz and Wentz are out of options, so I think they are locks.  I think Lange, Foley, Miller, and Chafin are locks.  That leaves Faedo, Briske, Holton, Vest and Gipson-Long for 2 spots.  Vest is 28, Holton and Faedo are 27, so how much more do they need to prove?  I forgot how much Holton contributed last year, so he's probably a lock. I guess they could try to send Diaz through waivers?  

4 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

Diaz and Wentz are out of options, so I think they are locks.  I think Lange, Foley, Miller, and Chafin are locks.  That leaves Faedo, Briske, Holton, Vest and Gipson-Long for 2 spots.  Vest is 28, Holton and Faedo are 27, so how much more do they need to prove?  I forgot how much Holton contributed last year, so he's probably a lock. I guess they could try to send Diaz through waivers?  

I think they would be happy with Olson and Faedo as starters #6 and #7 stashed with the Hens. G-Long is out of contention to make the team for now because of the injury.

Edited by gehringer_2