2024 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Maeda, now Miller. Seems Foley is likely to be next. Were we talking about trading pitching for bats in another tread? Silly us.

Meada isn't hurt, he's got that respiratory virus. He'll be back in 10 days or so. Lucky us...

19 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

It really wouldn't surprise me if Manning gets dealt soon. Several (more?) teams need pitching. I hope we can find a team with a ML ready shortstop being blocked. Trade Javy and pick up most of his contract, if they must?

Javy is going nowhere as long we have no better option to replace him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, oblong said:

Nobody would take Javy even if the Tigers paid all of his salary. He’s not worth the roster spot. 

exactly he's the worst hitter in MLB and is owed 80+ million dollars still

On 5/11/2024 at 8:19 PM, oblong said:

But who else should they have taken? Maybe we are arguing semantics.  Someone earlier used the word “annoying” by comparing it to Baltimore’s 1:1 fortunes  and I agree with that.  You are at the mercy of the players in that draft.  For me to use the word disappointment would mean someone made a poor decision.  I don’t see that here with Tork.  

I was a little upset they took a 1st baseman with the pick.  There is a reason no other team ever drafts 1st basemen even in the top 10 in the draft.  They grow on trees.  Although I don't really follow the draft or college baseball, I would have been happier with a shortstop or outfielder.  

Anyway, none of that matters now because the Tigers are stuck with him hoping he can come around.  I think a change in the coaching staff...like everyone but the pitching coaches would help the team.

On 5/14/2024 at 5:25 PM, oblong said:

Nobody would take Javy even if the Tigers paid all of his salary. He’s not worth the roster spot. 

Who says we have to trade him?     Just let him go.       

We have a glut of OFs and pitching prospects that are never probably going to break through here (I am not talking about Jackson Jobe or Ty Madden here, they aren't trading them, but they have others).       Some team out there has a glut of shortstops.   Some team has a decent potential shortstop that is blocked from playing in the majors.     Go find him.      All we need is a guy who can be a plus defender and hit over .200.     Not looking for a superstar.         

11 hours ago, gkelly said:

I was a little upset they took a 1st baseman with the pick.  There is a reason no other team ever drafts 1st basemen even in the top 10 in the draft.  They grow on trees.  Although I don't really follow the draft or college baseball, I would have been happier with a shortstop or outfielder.

Tork was considered the consensus #1 at the time, and it was not at all controversial pick.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mock-draft-final-projections-for-2020-mlb-draft

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

No regrets in taking him. No brainer at the time. The regret is his underperforming. We just have to play it out probably through 2025. 

Almost every team would have taken him.   

He lost a year of development during COVID.   Was brought up before he was ready and put into a terrible lineup, where he was expected to carry much of the load.     You put him on a better team, bat him 7th to start out and he's probably further ahead by now.    

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

No regrets in taking him. No brainer at the time. The regret is his underperforming. We just have to play it out probably through 2025. 

Or he gets it together and starts performing.

8 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Almost every team would have taken him.   

He lost a year of development during COVID.   Was brought up before he was ready and put into a terrible lineup, where he was expected to carry much of the load.     You put him on a better team, bat him 7th to start out and he's probably further ahead by now.    

7th is where he hit most often in his rookie season.  Anywhere between 5 through 8, but 7th was the spot most reserved for him.  No question it was too early and he was eventually demoted.

8 minutes ago, casimir said:

7th is where he hit most often in his rookie season.  Anywhere between 5 through 8, but 7th was the spot most reserved for him.  No question it was too early and he was eventually demoted.

But 7th on a good team is a lot different than 7th on the '22 Tigers.       

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

But 7th on a good team is a lot different than 7th on the '22 Tigers.       

Well, that plays into the part that he wasn’t ready for MLB yet if he was hitting 7th on the 2022 Tigers.

14 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Can Miggy come back and play Shortstop? 

Me neither, He had not been good for years and the last two years he was terrible - a DH who couldn't even hit league average.    

The only thing with Miguel is that he could still flash a little brilliance now and then. Just to remind you. But it got to be so seldom. Even as late as '22 he could tease a month hitting 320 and being productive, but he couldn't sustain it and soon enough he'd be back to futile.

41 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The only thing with Miguel is that he could still flash a little brilliance now and then. Just to remind you. But it got to be so seldom. Even as late as '22 he could tease a month hitting 320 and being productive, but he couldn't sustain it and soon enough he'd be back to futile.

Ibanez can do that too.  

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Ibanez can do that too.  

until he faces a RHP?

Seriously though, the difference was that almost to the end Miguel could still hit whenever the knee settled down so there was always that tease/hope that if somebody found something that helped him drive off the left leg again, he'd be able to be more productive. So he would have those stretches where you saw him pick up the front foot again and you knew he was going to hit - for a while - and it got to where it might only be game or two and you'd see him go back to trying to hit flat footed. The overall result may have looked the same in BR as a bad player that had an occasional hot streak, but the feel of it was a lot different for me seeing that the talent was still there but for a  piece of bum orthopedia. It's does happen to a lot of players and I always think itis a sad thing.

Edited by gehringer_2

12 hours ago, chasfh said:

Tork was considered the consensus #1 at the time, and it was not at all controversial pick.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mock-draft-final-projections-for-2020-mlb-draft

I never said it was a controversial pick.  All I said is that picking a 1st baseman #1 overall seemed kind of silly to ME since it is probably the easiest position to find a quality hitter at.