2024 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

54 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Just a really oddball and borderline dumb question, and you can tell A.J. was a bit annoyed by it, and he replies, half-jokingly, “Sometimes I love you, Jason, and then sometimes I love you a little less.”

I don't see anywhere that the two of them had a previous overlap, but they Hinch and Benetti give the impression of already having rapport based on history - or maybe that's just Benetti's gift.

Edited by gehringer_2

5 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I don't see anywhere that the two of them had a previous overlap, but they Hinch and Benetti give the impression of already having rapport based on history - or maybe that's just Benetti's gift.

The do have good rapport and I was not at all suggesting Hinch doesn't like Benetti—but you can be annoyed with people you like. 😁

23 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

How about they have simultaneous tv/radio broadcasts with Dickerson and Benetti?  No ex-jocks.  

I do like ex-player good perspectives.  Unfortunately I think the commentary it comes with an amount of cheerleading and/or cliches.  And I think we understand the degree of either will differ depending upon who is offering the commentary.

19 hours ago, casimir said:

I do like ex-player good perspectives.  Unfortunately I think the commentary it comes with an amount of cheerleading and/or cliches.  And I think we understand the degree of either will differ depending upon who is offering the commentary.

Benetti is a bit of a cheerleader, too. You can tell when he says things along the lines of “come on, guys, we need some insurance runs here”, whereas Dan would say, “Tigers could use some insurance runs here.” Big difference, at least to my ears. You can also hear difference in reactions after home runs and the like. Dan is all business and always a journalist. Jason will allow himself to be a fan. 

Nothing like Monroe, though—being one of the clubhouse guys in the booth at all times is practically his entire schtick. But I do think later vintage broadcasters, even play by play guys, purposefully incorporate blatant homerism into their broadcasts, perhaps at the behest of their employers, and responsive to focus groups. Maybe it’s that the kids like more than just one kind of homer.

34 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Benetti is a bit of a cheerleader, too. You can tell when he says things along the lines of “come on, guys, we need some insurance runs here”, whereas Dan would say, “Tigers could use some insurance runs here.” Big difference, at least to my ears. You can also hear difference in reactions after home runs and the like. Dan is all business and always a journalist. Jason will allow himself to be a fan. 

Tigers need some instant runs.  

I miss Harry Caray. He was a homer and he was a fan and above all else, he was entertaining. Corporate MLB wouldn’t have a place for Harry today. Harry had more interesting real life stories than the jocks could bring and never  stood in a batters box. 
There is nothing personal, but as long as Monroe or Scales is on radio, I’m likely not tuning in for an extended period of time. I enjoyed Petry when he worked with Dan. I’m OK with Dirks. I like Gania and Hasty both. Frankly, I believe the color guy in these games is not necessary. They don’t really add to the content. For example, Dan tells you the ball is hit on a line drive down the left field line and X the left fielder digs it out if the corner and batter Y is in with a stand up double. I don’t need this play regurgitated by some color guy trying to enhance the description with pointless overkill. I don’t care!!! It is annoying. 

Signed,

Boomer

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

I miss Harry Caray. He was a homer and he was a fan and above all else, he was entertaining. Corporate MLB wouldn’t have a place for Harry today. Harry had more interesting real life stories than the jocks could bring and never  stood in a batters box. 
There is nothing personal, but as long as Monroe or Scales is on radio, I’m likely not tuning in for an extended period of time. I enjoyed Petry when he worked with Dan. I’m OK with Dirks. I like Gania and Hasty both. Frankly, I believe the color guy in these games is not necessary. They don’t really add to the content. For example, Dan tells you the ball is hit on a line drive down the left field line and X the left fielder digs it out if the corner and batter Y is in with a stand up double. I don’t need this play regurgitated by some color guy trying to enhance the description with pointless overkill. I don’t care!!! It is annoying. 

Signed,

Boomer

In order for an analyst to work for me, they have to add some knowledge about the game that I don't already have.  Since I have never playerd the game at an advanced level, that is certainly possible, but they rarely do that.  They also have to have a good rapport with the play by play man and know when to shut up.  Not many check off all those boxes.   

The Tigers have played only seven of their 28 games against teams who are currently higher in the power rankings than their #13 (per MLB this morning), and they were 3-4 against those guys (Royals #9; Rangers #12). So it will be a nice little baptism of fire when they go on the road against the Guardians (#4) and Yankees (#5) starting this Friday. It will give us a better sense of how improved this team really is.

I do not get the hype over these... maybe because I'm old but I really don't give a ****.  What is the big deal?  Soccer's always been "the sport of the future" for all of my 50 years of living.  

THe Tigers had a tweet with some players walking into a room seeing them and they reacted as if they saw Sidney Sweeney starting at them nude with a bowl of strawberries.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, oblong said:

I do not get the hype over these... maybe because I'm old but I really don't give a ****.  What is the big deal?  Soccer's always been "the sport of the future" for all of my 50 years of living.  

THe Tigers had a tweet with some players walking into a room seeing them and they reacted as if they saw Sidney Sweeney starting at them nude with a bowl of strawberries.

I 100% agree with you to me they look like soccer jerseys