2024 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

44 minutes ago, theroundsquare said:

is it just me or is the font and/or lettering size or placement for player names on the jersey backs looking different this year?

Yes.  MLB changed uniforms.  The Tiger’s player name font is definitely smaller and lower on the shoulders than in previous seasons.  But it’s not just the Tigers, it’s all MLB teams.

Just now, Tigermojo said:

Harris must be happy with his offseason acquisitions. They are all contributing. Maeda gets a shot at redemption tomorrow.

Canha is as advertised so far which is nice. More power than I expected but It's been 7 games so can't get too excited.

Start of the season (before first pitch) 20-20 would have been good enough for me in the first 40.    They'd only need to go 14-19 for that.  

So my expectation has changed. 

23-17 is my hope now.       They'd need to go 17-16 for that now.    With their schedule, they can do that.   

I don't care that we're only beating bad teams.  That's what you need to do.  Beat up on the bad, stay within .500 against the good.   Do that, and we're playing games in October.   

Early season observations are

- I don't care about each player's batting average.  Doesn't matter.  Find ways to get runs in when you need them and they are doing that very well.    The hitting will come around when it warms up a bit. 

- The pitching has been epic and we're lucky that Chris Fetter stayed.   He'll be a manager in MLB next year. 

- "Hey Matt, that was fantastic how you no-hit the Mets in an emergency start,  now go back to Toledo".   I get it, who else could you send down?    But Kenta is going to become the target of fans if he's terrible while Manning angrily tears up AAA.  

- Canha, Urshela might not be the big shiny pretty toys, but they were very good acquisitions for this team.  Urshela is an opportunistic hitter that will never wow you with stats, but will get it done.    Canha does what he does. 

Colt and Tork have had some hard luck hitting lazer beams that merely show up as outs in the stats. 

- Every win now is one less needed in September.    How badly do you think the Red Wings want those losses to the terrible Arizona Coyotes back? 

Has your record at the 40 game mark expectation changed, or did you see them going something like 7-4 in these first 11 games. 

I still hate Chris Sale. 

• Like 3

Yeah it’s tough to figure out. Squeaking by bad teams could be interpreted one way but also maybe a big reason those teams are bad because they played Detroit.  But it’s 7 games behind us and the cushion helps. 

Just figure I'd share this since it showed up on my YT feed. I've heard this show is set up at times and some of the items "up for sale" on the show never really were but were just used for content on the show so take it for what it's worth but here's the Tigers being featured on Pawn Stars. They are trying to sell some Miggy memorabilia including the jersey he was wearing for his 502nd HR.(Thank God they weren't trying to sell the 500HR one)

I'm not a collector or anything so maybe the prices aren't that out of line but for me I felt the jerseys and bat seemed pretty pricey for not having any significant moment attached to it. Also Miggy is a big deal here but he's not somebody like Griffey or Jeter who are collectible to all baseball fans. 

One more side note, in the video the guy talks about how Kaline's statue has a spike in the glove so it could possibly "catch" a HR. I never knew that, that would be so cool if it ever actually happens.

That was a fun episode.  Filmed last fall at an event space on  E grand blvd. I went to a wedding there.  They ended up at the Ford Wyoming Drive Inn.  

yeah I thought the stuff for Miggy was overpriced. That’s all for show. I don’t think Rick left with anything to sell at their shop. 

So far, this team has been fun to watch. My biggest take away so far has been that the pitching has been superb. As for the start, we have a light schedule in March and April. It must be noted that it's early.

Why does Uncle Terry in that terrible Tigers fan sitting in his garage babbling about his Tigers hat have a Chicago accent?  If he had another 20 seconds, he’d probably start processing his love for Ditka.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, casimir said:

Why does Uncle Terry in that terrible Tigers fan sitting in his garage babbling about his Tigers hat have a Chicago accent?  If he had another 20 seconds, he’d probably start processing his love for Ditka.

Funny you say that because ever since I moved to Chicago, I am frequently struck by how flat and clipped and nasal Michigan accents are. I sure didn’t notice it while I was living there. I thought we were the Walter Cronkite network standard accent.

20 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

It could be worse. You could fans of the A's W-Sox, Marlins, Nationals, Angels, Giants, Mets.....

It was worse ... we were fans of the Tigers for the last seven years.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think of Eduardo Rodriguez and Anthony Rendon as being peas in a pod.

Oh, I think we're mature enough to handle "pains in the ass".  No need to sugar coat it with "peas in a pod".  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, casimir said:

Oh, I think we're mature enough to handle "pains in the ass".  No need to sugar coat it with "peas in a pod".  

Well, yeah, there's that ... 😏

But I meant more like, I believe they are of a kind: guys who don't really want to play, but would like to leave baseball with all the money in hand and just go live the rest of their lives.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Well, yeah, there's that ... 😏

But I meant more like, I believe they are of a kind: guys who don't really want to play, but would like to leave baseball with all the money in hand and just go live the rest of their lives.

Jeremy Bondermam fit the latter description.

Edited by gehringer_2