2024 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

23 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Jeremy Bondermam fit the latter description.

17 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Did he? I mean, it wouldn't shock me, but I didn't know that about him. Maybe I just wasn't paying close enough attention.

Bonderman was one of the first, if not the first, to have the thoracic outlet syndrome.  I wonder how much of that might have factored into his decision to retire early.

I wonder how much playing through the pandemic might have adjusted some guys' priorities.  I only bring that up because I looked at Rendon's stats.  His fall off occurred after the 2020 season.  Maybe the fall off is independent of COVID.  Maybe the timing is just coincidence.  Maybe he changed and that change affected his performance.

41 minutes ago, casimir said:

Bonderman was one of the first, if not the first, to have the thoracic outlet syndrome.  I wonder how much of that might have factored into his decision to retire early.

I wonder how much playing through the pandemic might have adjusted some guys' priorities.  I only bring that up because I looked at Rendon's stats.  His fall off occurred after the 2020 season.  Maybe the fall off is independent of COVID.  Maybe the timing is just coincidence.  Maybe he changed and that change affected his performance.

How convenient that Rendon owuld change his priorities after signing a 7/245 contract. Just sayin'.

45 minutes ago, casimir said:

ERod had a heart issue when he played with Boston maybe that changed things for him 

2 hours ago, casimir said:

He was never the same after that surgery. His stuff pretty much became Nate Cornejo’s when he attempted to return. I believe he took a couple years off before returning in 2013?

14 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

He was never the same after that surgery. His stuff pretty much became Nate Cornejo’s when he attempted to return. I believe he took a couple years off before returning in 2013?

I may be confusing this with another player, but IIRC, it eventually emerged they 'nicked' a nerve doing Bonderman's surgery. It can take a couple of years for nerves to regrow back all the way down your arm, assuming they even will, which they don't necessarily. (I once injured a nerve in my forearm - took about 6 mo for it to repair itself back down to the tip of my thumb but I was lucky and feeling did come back.)  In the meantime Bonderman got tired of the rehab merry-go-round when he preferred to be fishing.

Edited by gehringer_2

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I may be confusing this with another player, but IIRC, they 'nicked' a nerve doing Bonderman's surgery. It can take a couple of years for nerves to grow back all the way down your arm, assuming they even will, which they don't necessarily. In the meantime Bonderman got tired of the rehab merry-go-round when he preferred to be fishing.

I kind of lost track of him when the Tigers bacame good he seemed to get pushed to wayside in my own mind

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

How convenient that Rendon owuld change his priorities after signing a 7/245 contract. Just sayin'.

In fairness, his first season was in line with why he got that contract.

53 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I may be confusing this with another player, but IIRC, it eventually emerged they 'nicked' a nerve doing Bonderman's surgery. It can take a couple of years for nerves to regrow back all the way down your arm, assuming they even will, which they don't necessarily. (I once injured a nerve in my forearm - took about 6 mo for it to repair itself back down to the tip of my thumb but I was lucky and feeling did come back.)  In the meantime Bonderman got tired of the rehab merry-go-round when he preferred to be fishing.

Yes, I think you are right about that nerve issue happening to Bonderman.  I do remember the fishing being a draw, but he also had a young family, too.

Would it be possible to acquire a cather 19 games into the 2024 season? Jake Rogers and Carson Kelly are automatic outs these days. I liked the hiring of Scott Harris, but my patience with his decision making is being tested.

17 minutes ago, UCFKNIGHT said:

Would it be possible to acquire a cather 19 games into the 2024 season? Jake Rogers and Carson Kelly are automatic outs these days. I liked the hiring of Scott Harris, but my patience with his decision making is being tested.

I can’t believe your patience is wearing thin.

3 minutes ago, UCFKNIGHT said:

I do understand the patience part, it is Harris second year. What I do not understand is that there seems to be a trend. He tends to favor versatile middle INF types who can work a count. He got ZMcKinstry, AIbanez, NMaton, MVierling and NSolak. He recently picked up BKennedy. We can say that may be all that was available, yet for a FA he signed GUrshela. During his first draft, after an obvious first pick (of 2 or 3 players available in the very first round), he went after KMcGonigle and MAnderson. I have heard him say he wants AJ to be able to put together a 'dynamic' lineup on a daily basis that has the best chance to when given the opposing team and P.

All that is fine, to an extent. Does he understand that winning teams need some set 'everyday' potential star positional type players (I did not say superstasr)?

It all gets down to player development. We need to see progress from several of the lot of Tork, Greene, Kieth, Meadows, Carp, Jung, Malloy or another 'rebuild' will be upon us... Can we find some help from Dingler, Kriedler, Hiura, Baddoo, Bigbee, etc. I get it, then we add to that - yet, will we add again with just supplemental utility types?

One thing I do agree is that he does not give SPs long term deals. Unfortunately the game has changed here big time and injuries are constant.

I’m pretty sure Harris understands that a team can’t build a consistent winner off 13 utility players, so I really doubt that is his long-term smartest-guy-in-the-room plan to win rings.

I think we are still in the restructuring phase, and will be for another year or two, in which we are building toward a situation where we will have a team of stars, strong positional players, and versatile bench guys, along with ace, solid rotation, and solid bullpen. The rot was pretty deep when he came aboard, not just in players but in infrastructure, and there has to be equal amounts of investment on both sides to fashion a consistent winner. 

Based on players he inherited, out of which he has to determine who we can save and who we can dump, we seem to be closer on the pitching side than the positional side. If the hitting part is going to get fixed, it’s going to take another year or two, not another series or two. We simply don’t have all the horses we need to win with, and they will need to be acquired via draft, trade, or free agency. I think it’s becoming clearer, though, that this group of thirteen will not be the group we are going to ride or die with. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I’m pretty sure Harris understands that a team can’t build a consistent winner off 13 utility players, so I really doubt that is his long-term smartest-guy-in-the-room plan to win rings.

I think we are still in the restructuring phase, and will be for another year or two, in which we are building toward a situation where we will have a team of stars, strong positional players, and versatile bench guys, along with ace, solid rotation, and solid bullpen. The rot was pretty deep when he came aboard, not just in players but in infrastructure, and there has to be equal amounts of investment on both sides to fashion a consistent winner. 

Based on players he inherited, out of which he has to determine who we can save and who we can dump, we seem to be closer on the pitching side than the positional side. If the hitting part is going to get fixed, it’s going to take another year or two, not another series or two. We simply don’t have all the horses we need to win with, and they will need to be acquired via draft, trade, or free agency. I think it’s becoming clearer, though, that this group of thirteen will not be the group we are going to ride or die with. 

This is the best summary of the current situation of the Tigers I have seen or heard anywhere.

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

Already this season has been a roller coaster of highs to low. Being a fan only makes that worse. Sitting here today on the down slope it does seem we do have quite a long way to go unfortunately. I suppose that's why Harris is moving more deliberately thank I like. It's just we have sucked so bad for so long and to see the Orioles not only pass us but reach the top is frustrating. Greene looks good and Keith maybe but at the major league level thats it for position players. I guess Verling might take another step but even so that is three players that can help with the bat and make plays in the field. The rest are one trick ponies.

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

City Connects being leaked here?

I bet these are it due to the Tiger logo under the brim being pushed in advertising this spring. I hate the DETROIT, I wish they would have kept the old english D or put the tiger logo instead of the D...

Edited by Tigeraholic1

21 hours ago, UCFKNIGHT said:

too soon; check back in 18 months

• Like 1