2024 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

43 minutes ago, chasfh said:

What can the uniform say about Sacramento? What can anybody say about Sacramento?

Apparently its known as the "Almond Capital of the World, "River City", "City of Trees", "Big Tomato", "Camelia City",....  Pick just one and own it.

7 hours ago, chasfh said:

Really? You need to read more. 😉

Harris has been very careful about what he says publicly about t he current sate of the Tigers roster and the potentially available position players in the system he has going forward.

The more I watch this season and view video from minor league games, the more I am convinced the fan base has way over estimated how strong the current batch of position players the Tigers have under control, and especially on the active roster

4 hours ago, casimir said:

Apparently its known as the "Almond Capital of the World, "River City", "City of Trees", "Big Tomato", "Camelia City",....  Pick just one and own it.

Sac Town with a big Sack on the Jersey

4 hours ago, HeyAbbott said:

Harris has been very careful about what he says publicly about t he current sate of the Tigers roster and the potentially available position players in the system he has going forward.

The more I watch this season and view video from minor league games, the more I am convinced the fan base has way over estimated how strong the current batch of position players the Tigers have under control, and especially on the active roster

Which is why they’re blaming the coaching for it all. 

1 hour ago, Toddwert said:

Sac Town with a big Sack on the Jersey

I am coming around to the idea that if the A’s stick around Sacramento for three years, they will stay there for good and Vegas will get an expansion team, which is probably the best outcome considering the circumstances. 

10 hours ago, chasfh said:

I am coming around to the idea that if the A’s stick around Sacramento for three years, they will stay there for good and Vegas will get an expansion team, which is probably the best outcome considering the circumstances. 

My somewhat sarcastic thought:  I wonder if Vegas has odds on this?

My sarcasm free thought:  I would not be surprised if the Vegas thing falls through and this is Sacramento's play into another major professional sports league.  At the very least, this is a trial run for the metro area for the next round of MLB expansion.

So, OK, question open for anyone.  Where are the A's in 5 years.  Oakland?  Sacramento?  Las Vegas?  Other?

2021: 7-13

2022: 7-13

2023: 7-13

2024: 11-9

Ok, so they didn't bury themselves out of the gate. Decent start. Starting pitching, Skubal great, Mize & Olson ok, everyone else hit and miss. Relief pitching amazing! Defense generally excellent with some miscues but will certainly take it. Offense.... well, timely enough for a few wins but generally stagnant. Seeing signs of Riley and Tork coming around, but seems like the kids from Florida & So Cal really don't like cold weather 🥶😂. Here's hoping Summer gets here quickly 😁 

I listened tonight on a walk. Very good. It’s going to be fun.  I learned some things about them.  It’s funny, I remember Dan kicking around the reporting arena then suddenly getting some innings and I didn’t think anything of it. “Oh just a guy they are bringing in”. Not unlike Matt Shepard.  

Fun fact: Casey Mize, our 1/1 pick from six (!) years ago and from whom we have been waiting for something anything ever since, is going to be 27 years old next month. He is also going to arbitration next season.

I'm hoping the off day for the Tigers on Thursday, while home, will help them in some way.  They've had a screwy schedule so far with rainouts and double headers... if they hit well this weekend I will say that's why.  If they don't then forget what I said.

On 4/22/2024 at 11:05 PM, Tenacious D said:

Isn’t it ironic that after many seasons of tanking and accumulating numerous high 1st round picks, our best pitcher and hitter (so far) is Skubal (round 9) and Carpenter (19th round). Don’t Cha think?

Kinda like how of all the  players that Al traded away arguably the 3 best players came from Justin Wilson and Daniel Norris in Candy, Paredes and Olson.

On 4/23/2024 at 12:50 PM, chasfh said:

Fun fact: Casey Mize, our 1/1 pick from six (!) years ago and from whom we have been waiting for something anything ever since, is going to be 27 years old next month. He is also going to arbitration next season.

He was arb eligible this year, and might not go next year if we pick his option up.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

He was arb eligible this year, and might not go next year if we pick his option up.

Right , I forgot that. Even worse: he went to arbitration without doing boo for us.

A.J. Hinch is a great interview in the right hands. This was a very relistenable first episode.

Dan and Jason are different kinds of cops. Dan is the all-business-all-the-time cop. Jason is the joke-around-and-ask-offbeat-questions cop. It’s a good mix unless Jason goes way off the reservation with something. Here’s a good example of that: I loved the part where Jason asked Hinch what kinds of life situations A.J. would call a personal pinch-hitter in to help him with. Just a really oddball and borderline dumb question, and you can tell A.J. was a bit annoyed by it, and he replies, half-jokingly, “Sometimes I love you, Jason, and then sometimes I love you a little less.”

17 minutes ago, chasfh said:

A.J. Hinch is a great interview in the right hands. This was a very relistenable first episode.

Dan and Jason are different kinds of cops. Dan is the all-business-all-the-time cop. Jason is the joke-around-and-ask-offbeat-questions cop. It’s a good mix unless Jason goes way off the reservation with something. Here’s a good example of that: I loved the part where Jason asked Hinch what kinds of life situations A.J. would call a personal pinch-hitter in to help him with. Just a really oddball and borderline dumb question, and you can tell A.J. was a bit annoyed by it, and he replies, half-jokingly, “Sometimes I love you, Jason, and then sometimes I love you a little less.”

When Jason asked that question I immediately thought of Barbara Walter's and her "Tree" question. In retrospect it was an interesting question and a good answer by AJ