2024 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

53 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Granted it was against arguably the best team in baseball but seeing how lifeless the White Sox looked against the Braves last night makes me feel a little more skeptical of our start. #debbiedowner

take two of three against bad teams and play 500 against good teams and you'll end up with >90 wins.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Granted it was against arguably the best team in baseball but seeing how lifeless the White Sox looked against the Braves last night makes me feel a little more skeptical of our start. #debbiedowner

Yes, I too am thinking we might not go 162-0 ... 😉

I thought at of the beginning of the season we could sweep the White Sox, the Mets, and the A's to start the year, and still finish the year with 84 wins. It is a long season, but it is nice to see after the last multiple dismal starts.

New baseball pet peeve: calling what they do in the dugout after a home run a "celly". I had never seen that word until this past weekend and now I've seen it half-dozen times since.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, chasfh said:

New baseball pet peeve: calling what they do in the dugout after a home run a "celly". I had never seen that word until this past weekend and now I've seen it half-dozen times since.

That word is all the rage in hockey. 

4 minutes ago, Topliner1903 said:

That word is all the rage in hockey. 

Related to this, I'm just about giving up on anything Jason Beck writes. It feels as though practically all of it is specifically PR for the organization. Yes, I understand he works for mlb.com, but there are ways to position things without looking like a complete shill.

29 minutes ago, chasfh said:

OK, boomer.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I interpret it as the Tigers softened up the Jerk Sox for the Braves to have an easy series.

• Thanks 1

I just got MLB Network again and.... I can't get over Carlos Pena being referred to as "Los".

As for "celly"... yeah Buddha's right.   Hockey players like to shorten everything up, names, etc.  I think it comes from being out of breath on the ice so you reduce syllables and exertion it takes to say things.

3 minutes ago, oblong said:

I just got MLB Network again and.... I can't get over Carlos Pena being referred to as "Los".

As for "celly"... yeah Buddha's right.   Hockey players like to shorten everything up, names, etc.  I think it comes from being out of breath on the ice so you reduce syllables and exertion it takes to say things.

Tork said it on MLB Network.

3 minutes ago, oblong said:

also with the NHL comes maybe comes some francophone influence? "celebrer" -> celé -> celly

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

City connect merch available May 6th and on the field May 10th.

May 10th is vs Houston.  Does that factor into it by chance?

SPACE CITY jerseys vs MOTOR CITY jerseys?

Edited by casimir

5 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Hey, I don't play the awful sport. I do avoid it at all cost. 

What is wrong with you?  Have you ever been to a game?  Have you ever watched Slapshot?  Have you ever had a Labatt?

6 minutes ago, casimir said:

What is wrong with you?  Have you ever been to a game?  Have you ever watched Slapshot?  Have you ever had a Labatt?

I will go to a Fort Wayne Komets game if I get free tickets from time to time. Just never been a fan.