2024 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

New baseball pet peeve: calling what they do in the dugout after a home run a "celly". I had never seen that word until this past weekend and now I've seen it half-dozen times since.

Dude, you’re just jelly. 

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

New baseball pet peeve: calling what they do in the dugout after a home run a "celly". I had never seen that word until this past weekend and now I've seen it half-dozen times since.

Along the same lines as a 'Natty' that I heard 1000 times during Michigan's great football run.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

Tell me you don’t watch hockey without telling me you don’t watch hockey.  

45 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Tell me you don’t watch hockey without telling me you don’t watch hockey.  

I would be proud to tell you so, but thanks for saving me the time! 😁

• Thanks 1

Maybe my objection to the specific word “celly” is that it’s so close to “Belli” (sounds like “belly”), which is a nickname for Cody Bellinger that sounds weirdly sexual when applied to him, and doubly so when applied to him by Boog Sciambi. 

11 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Maybe my objection to the specific word “celly” is that it’s so close to “Belli” (sounds like “belly”), which is a nickname for Cody Bellinger that sounds weirdly sexual when applied to him, and doubly so when applied to him by Boog Sciambi. 

I feel the same about the new cool kid line “standing on business”.  Although not weirdly sexual towards Cody Bellinger, it makes me want to cringe every time I hear it 

So with todays rain delay  I was surfing games on my MLB subscription and came across the Texas - Rays game where Wayne Langford is already starting and starring for the Rangers. Moments later Issac Parades cranked a 3 run homer and I couldn't help but wonder how good we would be TODAY is we hade kept Parades and drafted Langford. Then I felt sad which is no way to feel with so much going well for the Tigers. So I am asking the board for some consolation. Forget about Parades it's been beat to death but did we/Harris over think by not taking Clark ?

Hoping to hear some good news that Clark/McGonigle ( taken with $$ saved passing on Langford) will prove to be better than Langford ( who seems to be Kirk Gibson energy) . Cheer me up please !

51 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

So with todays rain delay  I was surfing games on my MLB subscription and came across the Texas - Rays game where Wayne Langford is already starting and starring for the Rangers. Moments later Issac Parades cranked a 3 run homer and I couldn't help but wonder how good we would be TODAY is we hade kept Parades and drafted Langford. Then I felt sad which is no way to feel with so much going well for the Tigers. So I am asking the board for some consolation. Forget about Parades it's been beat to death but did we/Harris over think by not taking Clark ?

Hoping to hear some good news that Clark/McGonigle ( taken with $$ saved passing on Langford) will prove to be better than Langford ( who seems to be Kirk Gibson energy) . Cheer me up please !

Marcelo Mayer

Careers are long. Don't get hung up on the first moments

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

One of the aspects that I like about the deal is that the Tigers acquired a legitimate CF and a possible SS, both with some above average potential skill sets.  I like building up the middle that way.  In particular, I like the prospect of someone like Clark in CF with the bat that comes along with it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, casimir said:

One of the aspects that I like about the deal is that the Tigers acquired a legitimate CF and a possible SS, both with some above average potential skill sets.  I like building up the middle that way.  In particular, I like the prospect of someone like Clark in CF with the bat that comes along with it.

The other thing is we don't know what Langford's number was for the Tigers. He very well could have had one that requested he be the highest paid in the draft for the Tigers or significantly over slot which Tigers didn't want to do as I am guessing Harris wanted to start filling the minors with his type of players. So much goes into this that we don't have visibility to. That being said I hope fans give Clark a better treatment than they gave Jobe. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, LongLiveMaroth said:

The other thing is we don't know what Langford's number was for the Tigers. He very well could have had one that requested he be the highest paid in the draft for the Tigers or significantly over slot which Tigers didn't want to do as I am guessing Harris wanted to start filling the minors with his type of players. So much goes into this that we don't have visibility to. That being said I hope fans give Clark a better treatment than they gave Jobe. 

Very well stated.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

The other side of the coin to that is Wyatt Langford.

And he's going to be DH'ing a lot, or stuck in LF.

It's great that he has such a nice bat.... But as long as Clark has a high OPS, and is a 2-way player (great defense, great bat) than I prefer 2-way players like Clark over the plethora of DH's that we seem to always be overabundant in. 

• Like 1

On 3/31/2024 at 5:15 PM, chasfh said:

Sure thing. The website shows a bunch of the stats that come from MLB putting all those cameras in all 30 ballparks a few years ago to capture every movement in every direction by players and baseballs, for the purpose of teams incorporating the data into their own analyses. So things like first jumps, sprint speeds, pitch horizontal and vertical movements, exit velocities, launch angles, distances, all that—they all come from those cameras, and MLB puts the results on baseballsavant.com.

Enjoy!

Even Cliff Floyd likes it.

Thanks for all the great replies to my post. I feel much better ! Also on the bright side we might only need a couple strong hitters to really cement our team. As a huge proponent of defense I should embrace the pick more like I did on draft day. I guess I’m over anxious for a winner. 

• Like 3