2024 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

18 minutes ago, theroundsquare said:

appropriate that the tigers will look like they got run over after the sweep this weekend 

image.thumb.png.f1c7a79863d33e8defa6e1de1db70411.png

The tire treads up the torso are eerily similar.

Welp, there goes this season.

38 minutes ago, oblong said:

I do not get the hype over these... maybe because I'm old but I really don't give a ****.  What is the big deal?  Soccer's always been "the sport of the future" for all of my 50 years of living.  

THe Tigers had a tweet with some players walking into a room seeing them and they reacted as if they saw Sidney Sweeney starting at them nude with a bowl of strawberries.

35 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The jerseys are OK... I really do not like the hats though.

Mostly I'm with Rob though, I really don't care much one way or another. I'd rather they just wear what they have always worn (except with the correct "D" on the front)

33 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Awful

They're not targeting you old people. 😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, kdog said:

Has Henning suggested trading Skubal for a bunch of hitting prospects? Instead of actually signing and developing them of course.

We're supposed to be past the trading-for-prospects stage. In fact, think we're getting pretty close to the trading-prospects stage.

Edited by chasfh

9 minutes ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

I like the jerseys, especially compared to the City Connect versions of some other teams. The hat, notsomuch... That said, anyone ordering a City Connect Torkelson jersey for $175 needs to have their head examined. Skubal or Greene are the only two jersey worthy players we have.

I agree this is not the worst city connect jerseys in the game, but it's at least in the bottom half.

8 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

All the City Connect uniforms from every team suck and are unnecessary.  yeah, I'm old.  

Both sentences can be mutually exclusive from one another and true.

The one thing I do like is the olde English D-1 patch, an homage to the M-1 sign on Woodward, but even that is practically offset by the gaudy Meijer patch on the other side.

19 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The cap needs to ALWAYS be the Olde English D.     But if not, then "313" on the hats. 

I could have lived with the "MC" abbreviation as well.... but just writing out an entire word on a baseball hat, I just cannot get around that

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, chasfh said:

We're supposed to be past the trading-for-prospects stage. In fact, think we're getting pretty close to the trading-prospects stage.

We're in the Greene and Skubal era of the build. You have to add to this and not subtract because some guys haven't developed.

Edited by kdog

Posted (edited)

My expectations was that I would hate the entire kit, so the fact that I only really hate the hat and think the actual jersey is solid seems like a win  overall lol

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, kdog said:

We're in the Greene and Skubal era of the build. You have to add to this and not subtract because some guys haven't developed.

I totally agree that we need more good young players alongside Riley and Skubal, but I don't think we should be trading 2024-25 in exchange for 2027-29. I think need players for 2025, at the very least, if not 2024. And even guys like Jack Flaherty, let alone Mark Canha, are not going to unlock big-league-ready Top 100 prospects. Maybe Jack could return a hot 18- or 19-year-old ticket, but why would we do that?

Beyond that, trading Tarik Skubal for prospects would be waving the white flag for this and the next two seasons. I don't think we're going to do that, but if we did, then what are we doing here?

Okay so... YAOM (yet another old man -- pronounced: yeah-ohm) commentary:

If I separate the uniform from the Tigers... I actually like the uniform over all. I think it has a pretty cool look to it... I like to colors. I even think the hat goes decently with the jersey. It's not perfect. In particular there are three things I'm "meh" about:

• I'm not wild about dark jersey on dark pants... I don't think you could do white pants, but maybe some more or bigger detail/stripe? It looks like the pants were a bit of an afterthought.
  • The hat feels much the same way. I think it actually looks good with the jersey, but again the lack of detail (simply dark blue with "Detroit" in white using the same font as on the jersey) makes it feel like an afterthought. Very bland, and generic even paired with the jersey. Horribly boring by itself. Looks like something you'd buy at a Walgreens when you're leaving Detroit after visiting because you forgot to buy a better souvenir.
  • The 313 patch... I get the intention with making the '1' stand out, and that's nice. But the 3's are WAY to light imho.

Again though, over all I do like the look of the complete package over all. I like the colors, the details... I like the VIN plate... I like the Tigers Eyes at the bottom. As a whole it's a solid B from me.

BUT....

Do I like them as a Tiger's uniform? Meh... not really. I wouldn't want to see them used regularly. The classic whites are a fantastic uni with a lot of history. No need to try to improve on perfection. So if you ask me: "Don't mess with greatness. There's no need for this."

BUT....

No's asking me and more jersey variation means more sales for the ball club so it's going to happen whether I like it or not. So if it's going to happen... well, while I think they could have done better, they also could have done much, much worse. Given that it has to happen, I'm mildly supportive of what we actually got.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

I do not get the hype over these... maybe because I'm old but I really don't give a ****.  

One day you will wake up and realize that 50 years of age is not old. Trust me on this one. I know of what I speak. 

11 minutes ago, 1776 said:

One day you will wake up and realize that 50 years of age is not old. Trust me on this one. I know of what I speak. 

60 definitely feels different from 50 and I imagine 70 will be worse.  The funny thing is I don't really think any differently than I did when I was 35.  I see people who are 60 and I think to myself "I don't look old or act old like them" but I probably do!  The thing I do notice is physical - joint pain and inability to recover quickly from strenuous activity.      

42 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I would love to be 50 years old again.