4/20/24 2:10PM Tigers @ Twins

13 hours ago, casimir said:

Seriously, what has happened?  Is this an opposing correction to the mean?  Are they not really as good as the first 15 games, but also not as bad as the last 5, and things will flatten out in between?

I wasn't really expecting the infield defense to be particularly strong.  We knew Torkelson had problems, Keith was an unknown, Urshela is average, Baez is good.  Having Greene and Meadows in the outfield is definitely a plus.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

If Urshela is out for any period of time...

I'd like to see Keith at 3rd and Wenceel at 2B.

Call it one week or two week's worth.

Just to see what happens.

Wenceel spent most of his time in the minors at 2B, and has better speed/range there...

I know there are some concerns about Keith's shoulder strength... but let's see it. On a short-term basis.

Once Urshela gets back... Hinch can figure everything out. Which may include some Toledo time for Keith so he can get his bat straightened out...

Just sayin'...

I don’t mind the idea of Keith at 3B.  I think I’ve read before that he’s better there than 2B and that Jung is better at 2B than 3B.  The extent to the truth of that and the degree of the differences is something I wouldn’t have a whole of confidence in stating as fact.  But, if that theory has some merit to it, I’d say moving Keith to 3B is fine as long as his shoulder is up to the task.

Perez has been fine so far.  But I don’t think I’d move Keith in lieu of Perez right now.

55 minutes ago, casimir said:

I don’t mind the idea of Keith at 3B.  I think I’ve read before that he’s better there than 2B and that Jung is better at 2B than 3B.  The extent to the truth of that and the degree of the differences is something I wouldn’t have a whole of confidence in stating as fact.  But, if that theory has some merit to it, I’d say moving Keith to 3B is fine as long as his shoulder is up to the task.

Perez has been fine so far.  But I don’t think I’d move Keith in lieu of Perez right now.

He has been fine at second base so far.  I hope they leave him there rather than move him around. 

18 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

I bet Verling is better than Tork at first right now and Carpenter could be just as good after training not straight away. Tork stinks as a first baseman. He is a DH. 

While I agree about Tork at 1st base, I disagree with assuming other players are better. They've never played at 1st base, so until they play there for several games, there's no credibility in saying they're better there than Tork is. They could just as easily be worse.

58 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

The outcome speaks for itself.

So let me ask you this.  If Canha were due up as the hitter, you’d have been asking for either Rogers or Kelly to PH for Canha in that situation?

52 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

He has been fine at second base so far.  I hope they leave him there rather than move him around. 

I think I’d like to see him at one spot as well.  2B full time until he’s ready to move to 3B full time or 2B full time.  He has a history of needing time to warm up once promoted.  Give him the stability on defense to get his bat up to speed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, casimir said:

So let me ask you this.  If Canha were due up as the hitter, you’d have been asking for either Rogers or Kelly to PH for Canha in that situation?

He pinch hit Canha, a RH hitter, for Rogers, another RH hitter. Rogers has more power. 2 outs and men at 2nd and 3rd. Making an out is the worst possible outcome. Canha made an out. My response was "Rogers could have done that." Yeah, what I was saying is that it was a failed attempt. Canha may have a good OPS, but he hasn't proven to be very clutch.

3 minutes ago, casimir said:

I think I’d like to see him at one spot as well.  2B full time until he’s ready to move to 3B full time or 2B full time.  He has a history of needing time to warm up once promoted.  Give him the stability on defense to get his bat up to speed.

Agreed. The kid doesn't appear overmatched. He's raw, give him a chance to get used to this new league.

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I wasn't really expecting the infield defense to be particularly strong.  We knew Torkelson had problems, Keith was an unknown, Urshela is average, Baez is good.  Having Greene and Meadows in the outfield is definitely a plus.   

Meadows is amazing in CF. He has to be special, taking Riley's position. If the kid starts hitting, we have our leadoff hitter. I'm rooting for the kid.

4 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

He pinch hit Canha, a RH hitter, for Rogers, another RH hitter. Rogers has more power. 2 outs and men at 2nd and 3rd. Making an out is the worst possible outcome. Canha made an out. My response was "Rogers could have done that." Yeah, what I was saying is that it was a failed attempt. Canha may have a good OPS, but he hasn't proven to be very clutch.

.286 AVG and .881 OPS with RISP this season.  Not very clutch?  PHing for either catcher that cannot hit right now later in a game with runners on and the game in question.

The result is a baseball result.  Any hitter could strike out in that instance.  Any hitter could get a hit in that instance.  I think we can agree that risk/reward is different in that situation depending upon the hitter, right?  But you would prefer to not try better odds in that circumstance and just send up the worse of two options?

3 minutes ago, casimir said:

.286 AVG and .881 OPS with RISP this season.  Not very clutch?  PHing for either catcher that cannot hit right now later in a game with runners on and the game in question.

The result is a baseball result.  Any hitter could strike out in that instance.  Any hitter could get a hit in that instance.  I think we can agree that risk/reward is different in that situation depending upon the hitter, right?  But you would prefer to not try better odds in that circumstance and just send up the worse of two options?

I'm more using hindsight. Canha struck out. Rogers could have done the same. Not worse. Put the ball in play, put pressure on the defense. Canha has failed in several games where a hit was the direct difference in winning or losing. Sorry I have an opinion, I didn't like getting him in the first place. But as long as he's on the team, Hinch will use him. Go ahead and hit him 2nd, let's see how many rallies he can destroy.

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Colt looks OK with the glove, I see whether he ends up a 2B or 3B as a secondary issue to whether he can get his bat going!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

I'm more using hindsight. Canha struck out. Rogers could have done the same. Not worse. Put the ball in play, put pressure on the defense. Canha has failed in several games where a hit was the direct difference in winning or losing. Sorry I have an opinion, I didn't like getting him in the first place. But as long as he's on the team, Hinch will use him. Go ahead and hit him 2nd, let's see how many rallies he can destroy.

First you complain that he hits into too many double plays.  Now you are mad that he didn't put the ball in play!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

Didn't Wencel have the yips at second base ? A mental block throwing to first ? I think that's why they moved him to centerfield. 

this is the reporting. Ironically, it's only the easy throw that he can't control, it wasn't much of a problem when he was at short.

20 hours ago, casimir said:

Good thing Aaron Judge doesn't play for the Tigers. We already have plenty of hitters who can strike out four times in a game. 😏

20 hours ago, casimir said:

The result is a baseball result.  Any hitter could strike out in that instance.  Any hitter could get a hit in that instance.

We probably get conditioned by watching highlights - where the success rate is 100%, into forgetting that even for the best, hitting is a 65% fail endeavor.

Edited by gehringer_2