4/30 DH Game 1 3:40 Game 2 TBD Cardinals @ Tigers

11 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

After the first game this win is sort of the way Keith Richards must feel when he has to settle for a trip to the methadone clinic but to me this is a good rush. 

Really, any of us would have been happy with a DH split and that's what happened.

The lackluster offense in Game 1 cost them though.... we can split hairs about how AJ used Miller and Foley all we want, but you cannot stake your pitching staff to 1-0 leads and expect them to win all the time.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Really, any of us would have been happy with a DH split and that's what happened.

The lackluster offense in Game 1 cost them though.... we can split hairs about how AJ used Miller and Foley all we want, but you cannot stake your pitching staff to 1-0 leads and expect them to win all the time.

I haven't watched the video from game 2 but in game one Wendelstedt was calling a LOT of strikes for both pitchers - which helped make their already good performances even better, so lack of scoring on both sides was not surprising.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Don't you know that players win games but managers lose them? It's all over this forum, not sure how you could'of missed it

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I haven't watched the video from game 2 but in game one Wendelstedt was calling a LOT of strikes for both pitchers - which helped make their already good performances even better, so lack of scoring on both sides was not surprising.

It looked fine to me on the radio.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

But I’m not happy because I don’t approach these things rationally or temperately. I’m an emotional fan. We had a lead and lost it in the ninth inning. I’m like a drug addict passed out in the alley and somebody stole my fix and I’m not happy just because they didn’t steal my money too.  

12 hours ago, UCFKNIGHT said:

The Tigers should make Matt Manning their closer. His pitches are good enough to get just about any MLB lineup out the first time through the batting order. From the fourth inning on, Manning fails miserably.

Right-handed Andrew Miller?

The difference between AAA and Major league pitching is substantial. Harris and Hinch want to develop and trial by fire these hitters in the majors. They want to win, but they also need to know if these guys can adjust/adapt, and figure it out. It's not going to be linear development. And the replacements in Toledo either aren't ready or aren't part of any long term plan.

• Thanks 1

Also hitting prospects sometimes fail. Greene is a huge hit, maybe Wenceel is too idk. Out of Tork, Meadows, and Keith, who knows which guy will be able to stack good offense together? 

They need time to figure it out.

23 hours ago, kdog said:

Also hitting prospects sometimes fail. Greene is a huge hit, maybe Wenceel is too idk. Out of Tork, Meadows, and Keith, who knows which guy will be able to stack good offense together? 

They need time to figure it out.

I'm starting to become doubtful that Tork can ever be fixed here. Not because Tigers hitting coaches are incompetent, which too many people hope is the case, but perhaps because, since this is his only organization and the one that drafted him based on his hitting style at the time, and which multiple coaching regimes have since been trying to change, he may be too hard-headed to listen to anyone wearing a Tigers cap telling him he needs to change anything. After all, didn't these guys love what I was already doing enough to give me eight million dollars to keep doing it? So, hey man, what the fck? I wouldn't be surprised to learn that's what's going on in his head.

Maybe what Tork needs is someone in a different cap to tell him what to change for the light bulb to finally come on. And unfortunately, for that to happen, we'll need a solid replacement, which isn't right around the corner at the moment, and we'll almost certainly need to sell him low when it's time.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I'm starting to become doubtful that Tork can ever be fixed here. Not because Tigers hitting coaches are incompetent, which too many people hope is the case, but perhaps because, since this is his only organization and the one that drafted him based on his hitting style at the time, and which multiple coaching regimes have since been trying to change, he may be too hard-headed to listen to anyone wearing a Tigers cap telling him he needs to change anything. After all, didn't these guys love what I was already doing enough to give me eight million dollars to keep doing it? So, hey man, what the fck? I wouldn't be surprised to learn that's what's going on in his head.

Maybe what Tork needs is someone in a different cap to tell him what to change for the light bulb to finally come on. And unfortunately, for that to happen, we'll need a solid replacement, which isn't right around the corner at the moment, and we'll almost certainly need to sell him low when it's time.

At one point last season before he broke out of his funk, Hinch opined that Torkelson had 'too many voices in his ear'. Given the tiger hitting coaching by committee approach can that have improved? I don't know that the fix is that hard - swing at more strikes is a pretty simple place to start. You are probably correct it is mostly between his ears. He can't not understand that he is constantly behind because he is taking too many strikes early. And it's not like his zone judgment is deficient. Just swing the damn bat when the ball is in the zone.

Edited by gehringer_2