5/10/24 6:40PM Astro's @ Tigers

Posted (edited)

It's time to get right against a team who is flailing.    This is the season.  They fall on their face this weekend and this season is toast.   Evaluation doesn't have to mean keep losing.   If guys can't carry their weight they shouldn't be here.  There are some guys in Toledo who are justifying at least getting a look here.  Frustratingly they all seem to be outfielders.  Where's our next shortstop?   Go find one.   Find one that can just hit .240, for crying out loud.  Can't keep going with the current one if he keeps being a black hole.  His defense is good, but is it THAT good?       

I just want a baseball Summer that matters all the way at least until the last month.    Don't think that's asking for too much.  At least the Wings made things interesting.  

Those uniforms are hideous.    The Tigers regular home uniform is thing a beauty.  It's the best in baseball.  It's classy, it's elegant, it's clean, it's simple and it should rarely be toyed with - especially for freaking Nike.         The only time they should stray is wearing the Stars unis (which are cool) and Les Tigres.   A City Connect uniform without the OIde English D on the cap or front is a crime. 

I understand the Tigers HAD to do this contractually, but those things are ugly.    Don't ever break them out on a hot sunny day.   

Edited by Motor City Sonics
  • Like 1

On Javy: i do think we are close to an inflection point, although we need for Ryan Kreidler to get healthy after finger surgery. We’re probably looking at All-Star break, which is two months, although depending on the nature of the surgery, maybe sooner.

On the City Connects: the jerseys isn’t the worst, although the font for Motor City is pretty hideous. As for the hat, I might have been happier if, instead of Detroit in blah italic font, they found a way to put the skyline view from home plate on the hat, with the Ren Cen near the center, and the building with the whales off to the right side.

9 minutes ago, chasfh said:

On the City Connects: the jerseys isn’t the worst, although the font for Motor City is pretty hideous. As for the hat, I might have been happier if, instead of Detroit in blah italic font, they found a way to put the skyline view from home plate on the hat, with the Ren Cen near the center, and the building with the whales off to the right side.

My 16yo ordered one of the strap-back versions of the Connect hats, he loves the design. Oh, did I mention after shipping and tax it was $52!! Like you said they are not looking to impress our generation.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

My 16yo ordered one of the strap-back versions of the Connect hats, he loves the design. Oh, did I mention after shipping and tax it was $52!! Like you said they are not looking to impress our generation.

My son is 37 years of age and does branding/ designing so he always wants my “old man” take on the City Connects as they roll out. Generally speaking, he finds the good and bad in each one and says as much in a tactful way. We haven’t discussed Detroit’s yet but this weekend they’re coming for a visit so I’ll have an opportunity to share my opinions on the unis. Unless I discover something I haven’t seen yet, I’ll have nothing good to say about it. I’m sure he expects that out front. 
Yes, I’m a Boomer.

Edited by 1776
  • Haha 2

I kind of wonder if the hat would work better with an Old English "MC" as opposed to the slanted "DETROIT"?  I understand these city connects are supposed to be a break from the normal, but I think incorporating tradition would work.

Other than that, these rags suck out loud and there's no helping them.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

On Javy: i do think we are close to an inflection point, although we need for Ryan Kreidler to get healthy after finger surgery.

IDK if it's reasonable to wait for Kreidler if Javy is stuck at a 450 OPS very much longer. They have some options in McKinstry and Urshella - they may be painful but not as excruciating as Baez.

18 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

may be painful but not as excruciating as Baez.

I got a sawbuck saying otherwise.

Fun fact: McKinstry has never had better than 79 OPS+ in any season, and his number is at its worst this year; plus, he has played only 15% of his total defensive innings at shortstop, the equivalent of thirty big league games, at sub-DRS levels. Have we already forgotten how he's butchered third base and second base already this year?

I get that people are frustrated and want Javy Baez out of there RIGHT ****ING NOW!, but I promise you that you will be just as unhappy with McKinstry playing shortstop even most days. Same with Urshela: hitting poorly this year, fewer than 10% of his big league innings at shortstop, also sub-DRS, older than Javy and playing hurt. You would hate seeing him there game after game.

Seems as though fans might have reached the fling-it-against-the-wall-and-see-whether-it-sticks stage. Next up: the fire-Harris-now-because-he-can't-find-shortstops stage.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I got a sawbuck saying otherwise.

Fun fact: McKinstry has never had better than 79 OPS+ in any season, and his number is at its worst this year; plus, he has played only 15% of his total defensive innings at shortstop, the equivalent of thirty big league games, at sub-DRS levels. Have we already forgotten how he's butchered third base and second base already this year?

I get that people are frustrated and want Javy Baez out of there RIGHT ****ING NOW!, but I promise you that you will be just as unhappy with McKinstry playing shortstop even most days. Same with Urshela: hitting poorly this year, fewer than 10% of his big league innings at shortstop, also sub-DRS, older than Javy and playing hurt. You would hate seeing him there game after game.

Seems as though fans might have reached the fling-it-against-the-wall-and-see-whether-it-sticks stage. Next up: the fire-Harris-now-because-he-can't-find-shortstops stage.

you don't have to tell me the options are bad, but there is still *always* a downside limit to what any team will carry bat futility wise. Just based on what will get a manager laughed at the golf outing - I think Javy is about there. Now maybe the org will persuade itself he's having better AB and they give him more rope - for a while, but I still think they do *something* even if Kreidler isn't ready if Javy's trajectory doesn't change in the next....say 50 AB - even if it's a waiver claim, or Valade or whatever.

So - we'll see how it plays out....You may be more right - but I sort of hope not. I'd rather see them deal with it.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, casimir said:

Other than that, these rags suck out loud and there's no helping them.

Tell it, tell it, and tell it some more. Nothing but a cheap money grab. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

IDK if it's reasonable to wait for Kreidler if Javy is stuck at a 450 OPS very much longer. They have some options in McKinstry and Urshella - they may be painful but not as excruciating as Baez.

You just can't count on Kreidler.  He's a walking Injured List.   

1 minute ago, IdahoBert said:

Todd Jones says that the new uniforms have captured the veritable essence of the city of Detroit. 

“Hey Todd, we’ll need you to read this sentence tonight.  Can you say veritable essence?”