5/19/24 4:10PM Tigers @ Diamonbacks

4 minutes ago, kdog said:

Will he be a good hitter?

No. Absolutely not. He's a power hitter that occasionally runs into one. He'll be lucky to hit .250 with 25 home runs or so. Hoping to elevate his game into Rob Deer territory. 

2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Manning kept us in the game. I'm not being critical. And Arizona doesn't look like the same team that made it to the World Series last season. They look more like the WSox...lol

Manning allowed 13 baserunners vs 15 outs.  He didn’t keep them in the game.  Arizona failed to run away with the game.

I’m not sure the TV angles were conclusive on whether or not Barnhart got a tag on Carpenter.

I don’t necessarily have any qualms about sending Carpenter there.  The thing that surprised me from watching it on TV, I wouldn’t have guessed he’d have been quick enough to get around the bases in time to make it a close play.  Granted, the ball caromed high off of the wall and there was a bit of a fumble on the ball in the outfield.

Then the Baez leap and throw in the next half inning.  Heck of an attempt by he on the catch and throw and by Rogers at the plate.  The throw was skipped and Rogers couldn’t catch it cleanly.  But I don’t know if the play was there for them without playing it absolutely perfectly.

Thems the breaks, I guess.

4 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

No. Absolutely not. He's a power hitter that occasionally runs into one. He'll be lucky to hit .250 with 25 home runs or so. Hoping to elevate his game into Rob Deer territory. 

Lol see what I mean? Your criticism is hyper focused on a handful of players. Excuses or patience for some, heels dug in disdain for a select few.  Very strange. 

7 hours ago, AZTigersfan said:

Lol see what I mean? Your criticism is hyper focused on a handful of players. Excuses or patience for some, heels dug in disdain for a select few.  Very strange. 

I don't care if Arizona loves Tork, he's been very inconsistent so far in his career. Sorry if it hurts but it's just a fact.

8 hours ago, casimir said:

Manning allowed 13 baserunners vs 15 outs.  He didn’t keep them in the game.  Arizona failed to run away with the game.

I agree he only kept us in the game because Arizona is struggling. But the bottom line is he put us in a position to win. He made pitches when he needed to. He definitely didn't have his best stuff but what's expected from a #6 starter? Oh well...

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

I agree he only kept us in the game because Arizona is struggling. But the bottom line is he put us in a position to win. He made pitches when he needed to. He definitely didn't have his best stuff but what's expected from a #6 starter? Oh well...

So he stunk but he didn't stunk?

15 minutes ago, casimir said:

I don't care what his WHIP was for this game. He gave us 5 innings and left with the score tied. Yeah, it wasn't his best outing but I repeat, he kept us in the game.

18 minutes ago, casimir said:

Have no idea what Hinch was talking about with Manning after the game. Sort of rambled around without ever getting to,  'his command wasn't great' which was what ruined his day.

2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

I don't care if Arizona loves Tork, he's been very inconsistent so far in his career. Sorry if it hurts but it's just a fact.

So his 2.25 year career has been inconsistent? That’s your soap box? That could hold true for nearly all young players, couldn’t it? 

Arizona may love Tork but what is your reason to, and I won’t say hate, but be hyper focused on and often excessively negative towards him? It has the appearance of becoming personal with you.

I don’t know man, I get the whole criticizing players when they’re not performing but you’ve dug in your Tork = bust narrative and keep force feeding your opinion while misguidedly trying to pass it off as a fact. SMH

8 minutes ago, AZTigersfan said:

So his 2.25 year career has been inconsistent? That’s your soap box? That could hold true for nearly all young players, couldn’t it? 

Arizona may love Tork but what is your reason to, and I won’t say hate, but be hyper focused on and often excessively negative towards him? It has the appearance of becoming personal with you.

I don’t know man, I get the whole criticizing players when they’re not performing but you’ve dug in your Tork = bust narrative and keep force feeding your opinion while misguidedly trying to pass it off as a fact. SMH

I hope he kicks it into another gear and starts hitting enough to help the team more. But he is a very one dimensional player...below average defense, not very fast and not a contact hitter. Hitting home runs is his game. A young Rob Deer. That's not an insult, it's a goal. But he's only had 1/2 of a season of consistent hitting, last season he hit 20 of him home runs after the All Star break. I look for more consistency. But...most home run hitter are pretty streaky.

11 hours ago, casimir said:

I’m not sure the TV angles were conclusive on whether or not Barnhart got a tag on Carpenter.

I don’t necessarily have any qualms about sending Carpenter there.  The thing that surprised me from watching it on TV, I wouldn’t have guessed he’d have been quick enough to get around the bases in time to make it a close play.  Granted, the ball caromed high off of the wall and there was a bit of a fumble on the ball in the outfield.

Then the Baez leap and throw in the next half inning.  Heck of an attempt by he on the catch and throw and by Rogers at the plate.  The throw was skipped and Rogers couldn’t catch it cleanly.  But I don’t know if the play was there for them without playing it absolutely perfectly.

Thems the breaks, I guess.

Joey Cora was hyped.

16 hours ago, AZTigersfan said:

9 hits and 3 walks through just over 3 innings. Manning not fooling anyone, yet Hinch leaves him in. Smh

May have been wanting to save the pen a bit for the upcoming crucial Royals series, and I am not being facetious.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

May have been wanting to save the pen a bit for the upcoming crucial Royals series, and I am not being facetious.

They won the first two and the team was hitting well so you get all you can out of your 6th starter in the third game.... you also get to learn something about him too.  Seasons like this are not about winning this game but finding out who can help you win games in 2025 and 2026.  I didn't have a problem with how Manning was used yesterday.  He wasn't great but he wasn't awful either.  They could have tied the game and gone into extras so then you need your pen.

You are trying to save the bullpen and you are also trying to stress test Manning. He's getting close to the end of the evaluation stage of his career.

If he's just a back end starter, that's fine. We need to see if he can do that consistently and stay healthy for a few months.

To me the best case outcome for Manning is to have a poor man's Porcello like career aside from his fluke Cy Young season.

Basically a back of the rotation starter who can give you strong outings here and there but will always be heavily BABIP dependent on that. 

The hope of him ever being a top of the rotation starter or number 2 went away awhile ago for me. 

57 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

To me the best case outcome for Manning is to have a poor man's Porcello like career aside from his fluke Cy Young season.

Basically a back of the rotation starter who can give you strong outings here and there but will always be heavily BABIP dependent on that. 

The hope of him ever being a top of the rotation starter or number 2 went away awhile ago for me. 

Manning's stuff can be pretty good, but he can't seem to pitch at his best level with any consistency. Some guys see their consistency improve with more innings and with all his injuries, the lost yr etc., Manning is still under 700 IP for his total pro career and he was not a college guy, so I wouldn't necessarily be in a hurry to sell low, but he's a good fit for doing what he's doing and building his innings for this season.

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

Manning's stuff can be pretty good, but he can't seem to pitch at his best level with any consistency. Some guys see their consistency improve with more innings and with all his injuries, the lost yr etc., Manning is still under 700 IP for his total pro career and he was not a college guy, so I wouldn't necessarily be in a hurry to sell low, but he's a good fit for doing what he's doing and building his innings for this season.

It must be rough all the back and forth from MLB to the minors and then back again. He's depth at this point, a #6 SP. We'll see what happens at the trade deadline, if he could pitch better, it may increase his value. I would hate to trade any SP but this Tiger team needs more offense, somewhere in the lineup.

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Jackson Jobe could, possibly, make both Manning and Maeda moot point.

We're talking maybe end of this season or starting next season...

What then? Try Manning in relief? Maeda becomes a multi-inning middle guy next year?

Maeda only becomes a part of this if (A) Harris talks Flaherty into signing a 2-3 year extension before the trade deadline. and (B) Jobe rises into MLB on this timeline.

That's actually my preference:

1) Sign Flaherty for 2-3 more years.

2) Jobe kicks everyone's ass and hits MLB by the end of this season.

3) Turn Manning & Maeda into relievers.

These things tend to sort themselves out.

I'm not opposed to signing Flaherty but what kind of deal would he command and Pitchers around the age of 30 make me nervous long term.  With pitching depth is that a wise way to spend FA money that way?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, oblong said:

These things tend to sort themselves out.

I'm not opposed to signing Flaherty but what kind of deal would he command and Pitchers around the age of 30 make me nervous long term.  With pitching depth is that a wise way to spend FA money that way?

I think they need to see how things play out for Flaherty.  I think his resume is such that he’s not going to be offered a silly contract, and if he does get offered one, walk away.

Edited by casimir
  • Like 1

On 5/20/2024 at 6:59 PM, casimir said:

I think they need to see how things play out for Flaherty.  I think his resume is such that he’s not going to be offered a silly contract, and if he does get offered one, walk away.

What’s silly? Would you give him two more years to stick around? Three?