5/21/24 7:40PM Tigers @ Royals

11 minutes ago, buddha said:

your scouts and general managers are paid to make those decisions and not go by what's in the press.

so far, mize and tork have been massive failures.  however, its still very early in their careers and plenty of time to turn it around.

but the "lolz everyone said they were top prospects so the fact that they didnt pan out isnt a black mark on the people who drafted them" argument doesnt fly with me.  the people who drafted them are supposed to know more than keith law or baseball america.  its a results based business.  if they fail, the people who drafted them fail.

When Mize went, I remember people saying it was him or Brady Singer. We can't go back using hindsight and finding 3rd and 4th round picks who are better in 2024. It isn't fair to the scouts who can't see 5 years into the future. Were there players you wanted them to take over Mize or Tork?

9 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I'm debating if I even want to keep paying for the Bally app all summer. Getting blown out early or losing late are both reasons to find something more constructive to do. This team really stinks and they didn't seem to make any positive moves this last off-season.

Jack Flaherty and Mark Canha would like a word with you. 😉

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

Jack Flaherty and Mark Canha would like a word with you. 😉

Gotta admit, Flaherty has been a surprise. Canha is what he is, a 36 year old with a decent OBP. He would be an excellent fit on a team that's ready to win. But saying we wanted him so the young guys can study and learn from his approach? And them come out of the gate scoring one freaking run a week? Yeah, pure Tiger lip service. He plays for an affordable price, bottom line. But they will NEVER say that.

4 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

When Mize went, I remember people saying it was him or Brady Singer. We can't go back using hindsight and finding 3rd and 4th round picks who are better in 2024. It isn't fair to the scouts who can't see 5 years into the future. Were there players you wanted them to take over Mize or Tork?

I didn't have anyone in particular but Mize seemed very underwhelming.  Average fastball.

The only reason I didn't feel tork was a good pick because he played 1b.  You can find decent 1st basemen anywhere.  So to me, he would have needed to be top 3 in the league foe that to be a good pick.  

I mea , they could still turn out to be average mlb players which isn't horrible, but they really needed to hit on the tork pick

Just now, tiger2022 said:

I didn't have anyone in particular but Mize seemed very underwhelming.  Average fastball.

The only reason I didn't feel tork was a good pick because he played 1b.  You can find decent 1st basemen anywhere.  So to me, he would have needed to be top 3 in the league foe that to be a good pick.  

I mea , they could still turn out to be average mlb players which isn't horrible, but they really needed to hit on the tork pick

He was considered a 3rd baseman when we took him.

34 minutes ago, buddha said:

your scouts and general managers are paid to make those decisions and not go by what's in the press.

so far, mize and tork have been massive failures.  however, its still very early in their careers and plenty of time to turn it around.

but the "lolz everyone said they were top prospects so the fact that they didnt pan out isnt a black mark on the people who drafted them" argument doesnt fly with me.  the people who drafted them are supposed to know more than keith law or baseball america.  its a results based business.  if they fail, the people who drafted them fail.

What do you think of the Tarik Skubal draft pick?   

39 minutes ago, buddha said:

In defense of Mize, the other choice for a team looking for a pitcher that year was Brady Singer. If the Tigers had taken him they'd be ahead of where they are with Mize, but I think you can still argue Mize has more total career potential -  at least for a little while longer.....

23 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

You can find decent 1st basemen anywhere.

I keep seeing people say this (maybe it’s been you each time idk) but there were only four first-basemen who hit 30 bombs last year, and Tork was one of them. They do not fall off trees. 

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

He was considered a 3rd baseman when we took him.

well, Al Avila 'considered' for 3rd, and his ASU coaches did claim he could/would have played 3rd but that Gage Workman was playing 3rd who was already a SS level fielder - so they didn't and we'll never know if he might have been able to master it while still young enough for the change to be easier. So in 2020 he was a 3b in some people's minds, but not so much ever in reality.

Edited by gehringer_2

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

In defense of Mize, the other choice for a team looking for a pitcher that year was Brady Singer. If the Tigers had taken him they'd be ahead of where they are with Mize, but I think you can still argue Mize has more total career potential -  at least for a little while longer.....

I don't agree with that.  Mize still seems like a rookie and pitches like one.  Mize just doesn't have the stuff to be an above average pitcher.  He doesn't have a swing and miss pitch.  He seems like a younger but poorer version of Kent Maeda.

50 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Of all the games I have watched this year, this one has made me the saddest. 

When I'm as depressed about the team as I am now I'll follow gameday instead of watching live. You actually get more detailed data and the extra level of remove eases the frustration. They all get DVR'd so if there is miracle comeback I haven't missed it.

5 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

I don't agree with that.  Mize still seems like a rookie and pitches like one.  Mize just doesn't have the stuff to be an above average pitcher.  He doesn't have a swing and miss pitch.  He seems like a younger but poorer version of Kent Maeda.

TBF Mize has a 97 mph FB and at least once in a while shows signs of being able to spin it. But that's why I did say only for a while. This summer is put up or shut up time for Mize to prove he has a future. He needs innings to redevelop command, and an occasional misstep is maybe to be expected, but he has to start showing steady progress and turning in more good starts than bad - and in 6 of 9 outings he's given up 2 ER or less  - so while tonight was a fail, it's too soon to panic about him.

49 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

What do you think of the Tarik Skubal draft pick?   

If people would take a look at baseball 1st round picks thru the years, they might start to understand how difficult predicting what a player will do by the time he's ready for MLB. Baseball drafts are a crapshoot, even early picks. Most drafted players never even make the majors. If they fired every GM who drafted a player who didn't make it, GM turnover would be huge.

I always wondered why the Tigers thought they could take a college first baseman and turn him into a major league third baseman. The Wizard of Oz can hand out brains, hearts, and courage, but even he can’t turn a first baseman into a third baseman.