LOCKOUT '22: When will we see baseball again?

When will the regular season start?   

47 members have voted

1. 1. When will the regular season start?

• On Time (late March)
    • During April
    • During May
    • During June
    • During July
    • No season in 2022. Go Mud Hens !
    • Fire Ausmus

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

Yeah and he would eat innings. But I just wouldn't give up too much for him.

They would have to give up a lot to get him.  He has a liftime 3.72 ERA (123 ERA+) and 9.8 K per game lifetime.  That is close to an ace, at least a good #2.  I will say though that I had him on my fantasy team last year and watched him frequently last year and I was not impressed.  His control was not great and hever looked comfortable and even in his good games he seemed to struggle to get through innings.  It made me wonder where his good numbers came from.    

6 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Can MLB not go one week without irritating me?  I will not watch innings which start with a  runner on second base.  It is not baseball.  

I've heard rumors that in lieu of the shift, RHBs would have all balls hit to RF counted as outs and all LHBS would have all balls hit tot LF counted as outs.

Additionally, if there weren't enough players available for a particular game (maybe they didn't finish up their chores in time to play or maybe they were away on family vacation or something), instead of throwing the baseball to the bases to record outs, the defense could use the "pitcher's mound out" rule.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

I've heard rumors that in lieu of the shift, RHBs would have all balls hit to RF counted as outs and all LHBS would have all balls hit tot LF counted as outs.

Additionally, if there weren't enough players available for a particular game (maybe they didn't finish up their chores in time to play or maybe they were away on family vacation or something), instead of throwing the baseball to the bases to record outs, the defense could use the "pitcher's mound out" rule.

I’d like to see coach pitch in the event that the pitchers are too wild.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, oblong said:

It’s dumb for two reasons.  One is just the integrity thing of having a gimmick. Second I think it’s shown to not really do anything to end the game quicker. 

FWIW, it did shorten the average number of extra innings played.

21 minutes ago, chasfh said:

If they start it in the 11th inning and never in the playoffs, I can be talked into it. 

I'm ok with that because that's when you get into issues with pitcher usage.  I'm pretty sure both teams would rather just go home and keep things on schedule.  But i work with production schedules and whenever there's an blip I just favor doing what we can to get over that and get back online.  Otherwise you are dealing with it indefinitely.  Take the L and pound those budweisers.

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I will never be talked into it.  I'd rather see a tie than a free runner.  

I agree. It just..no...such a bad rule. I mean, I get the reasoning, trying to squeeze 162 games without playing until mid-November but people who don't like the DH have to hate this.

10 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

They would have to give up a lot to get him.  He has a liftime 3.72 ERA (123 ERA+) and 9.8 K per game lifetime.  That is close to an ace, at least a good #2.  I will say though that I had him on my fantasy team last year and watched him frequently last year and I was not impressed.  His control was not great and hever looked comfortable and even in his good games he seemed to struggle to get through innings.  It made me wonder where his good numbers came from.    

Give up major prospect(s) for 2 years of him? A very hard pass. Maybe a couple AA players? Ugh...I hate trading possible quality players. I say pass...

Play the first 2 innings under regular rule

Play innings 12, 13  with one fewer player in the field

After that

- Knife throwing contest (each team picks a player to stand against the wall with a balloon in their mouth, the other team tries to pop the balloon throwing a knife at it from 40 feet. 

If it's still tied after every player misses the balloon

- Coin toss. 

16 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Reds continue to tear apart their team, just traded Winker and Suarez to the Mariners. 

If I were the Tigers Id be calling them about Luis Castillo, if he could be had for a reasonable price Id be all over him. Still has 2 years of control left.

If C Trent is to be believed here, they might give Castillo away for peanuts.

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

What I find odd is that they did try to go for it, for what, 1 year?  maybe 2?      Gotta try harder than that.     I hope this doesn't happen to us.  

Why go for it if you can make just as much money not going for it? I guess.

4 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Matt Olson does not look or sound like an MLB slugger, nor does he look 28 years old.  He could blend in as an undergraduate on any college campus.   

Contrast thus with Claude Rossman of the 1908 Tigers, who was 26 going on 27 when this picture was taken:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ca/Claude_Rossman_%281908_Detroit_Free_Press_portrait%29.jpg

• Like 2