LOCKOUT '22: When will we see baseball again?

When will the regular season start?   

47 members have voted

1. 1. When will the regular season start?

• On Time (late March)
    • During April
    • During May
    • During June
    • During July
    • No season in 2022. Go Mud Hens !
    • Fire Ausmus

With four divisions you could have a set up where the 2nd and 3rd place teams play each other for the right to face the #1 team in the division.  Maybe even make all 3 games at the 2nd place team's park to give them an advantage.   Sure, you'll have some year's where the 4th place team in the West has a better record than the 3rd place team in the East, but Dems Da Breaks !

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

With four divisions you could have a set up where the 2nd and 3rd place teams play each other for the right to face the #1 team in the division.  Maybe even make all 3 games at the 2nd place team's park to give them an advantage.   Sure, you'll have some year's where the 4th place team in the West has a better record than the 3rd place team in the East, but Dems Da Breaks !

I would like that better than wild cards.  

42 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Do you watch NBA games?      It's barely noticeable.   I would hope it's a patch on the arm instead of the front of the jersey  

I don't watch NBA, so no reference.  I suspect that in a year or two I won't ever notice it anymore as odd but for a while I'll feel the "purity" of baseball has been shattered.

Not sure if the NBA still does this but when they instituted the play in games during thy covid bubble the higher seed only had to win 1 game where the lower had to win 2.

That could be something they could do to reward the higher seeds since many folks don't think getting a bye is a good thing in baseball. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

Verhagen ranks pretty highly on my all time most hated Tigers, I mean he sucked so that is one reason to hate him but others have sucked worse that I didn't nearly hate as much. I think it was because he seemingly got never ending call ups despite never proving anything which bugged me. 

I didn't like VerHagen because he kept getting so many chances and a lot of people kept saying he had great potential and I always just thought he sucked.  

I wonder where Buck Farmer is going to play this year.  

Edited by Tiger337

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Verhagen ranks pretty highly on my all time most hated Tigers, I mean he sucked so that is one reason to hate him but others have sucked worse that I didn't nearly hate as much. I think it was because he seemingly got never ending call ups despite never proving anything which bugged me. 

My list would start with Juan Gonzalez. He's far and away on top, nobody close. In a distant 2nd place would be Max Scherzer. 

Just now, Sports_Freak said:

My list would start with Juan Gonzalez. He's far and away on top, nobody close. In a distant 2nd place would be Max Scherzer. 

Theres a lot more that I hate worse but Verhagen and Daniel Schlereth are the two that stand out that I irrationally hate for no real good reason other than sucking.

1 hour ago, IdahoBert said:

I’m glad the DH will be universal. For me, celebrating a pitcher’s AB is the equivalent of applauding Jim Crow, lynchings, and book burnings. 

I agree. I would much rather see a professional hitter in the box than some pitcher that has a slim chance of even hitting the ball. Also, with the huge wages involved, I don’t want to see my pitcher trying to swing the bat or run the bases. It's a bit like watching paint dry.

So let me get this straight; instead of playing teams within our own division something like 72 games a year we will play 48 games a year? That’s like a dream come true. 

Also, can owners make major changes to the structure of the leagues and basic rules at will? Like abolishing separate leagues altogether? Or is that years away when there’s another CBA negotiation?

I guess I could look this up but I don’t want to do my own research.

19 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Theres a lot more that I hate worse but Verhagen and Daniel Schlereth are the two that stand out that I irrationally hate for no real good reason other than sucking.

I have seen several tweets today from fans who say they always liked VerHagen. I still don't get it.  

34 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I agree. I would much rather see a professional hitter in the box than some pitcher that has a slim chance of even hitting the ball. Also, with the huge wages involved, I don’t want to see my pitcher trying to swing the bat or run the bases. It's a bit like watching paint dry.

I didn't care which way this went as long as it was the same. It is a big disadvantage to AL teams having the pitcher hit.  It seemed unfair to them late in the season if they were fighting for a playoff spot and playing in a NL park. The Tigers had this happen in ATL I think the last time they were in contention.

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I didn't like VerHagen because he kept getting so many chances and a lot of people kept saying he had great potential and I always just thought he sucked.  

I wonder where Buck Farmer is going to play this year.  

VerHagen was a legitimate tease, there was always a lot of talent in the arm, he just couldn't pitch! 🤷‍♀️

I bet MLB moves the whole week that was missed onto the end of the season.  I think they’ll find shoehorning that week into the current season with only adding 3 days becomes too problematic.

The logical days where Detroit is out west don’t coincide with days off for Seattle/Oakland.  They can try shuffling series and all of that, but it’s probably too much of a puzzle to deal with.

6 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Best shape of his life...

Rod Carew looks like he could bat .300 as a National League DH at 76.

I remember the story with some young athlete getting to meet him and it was a major thrill, an inspiration for this kid to become a pro athlete and he wound up playing for a short time in the NFL, but that young man died and Carew wound up getting his heart and kidneys.  Amazing story. 

On 3/10/2022 at 5:19 PM, chasfh said:

Bernie Sanders is an oligarch?

I was being sarcastic, but really, Sanders gets to toss that term around about baseball owners but we can't apply it to him, huh?

Sanders is arguably the figurehead leader of a powerful and ascendant political movement whose principle aim is to vastly expand the power of government beyond it's already massive scope, and he is one of a small/elite class of 50 US Senators -- in his case, he will have that Senate seat as long as he wants it.  He is also chair of the Budget Committee now, with significant influence over direct US government outlays equal to 1/4th to 1/3rd of the largest economy in the world.  That is enormous power wielded by a member of an uber-elite class.  

No amount of ill-fitting clothing, funky mittens, or bad hair can change that 😃

A struggle between Sanders and MLB owners would be a struggle between uber-wealthy and uber-powerful people (yes, yes, he's a lot less wealthy, but a lot more powerful)....you want to cast it as class warfare, an extension of the class warfare that you have consistently imposed regarding the division of billions between the MLB owners and the players.

I get it, you dislike and distrust people who have amassed wealth and power, unless apparently they accomplish this feat as life-long liberal politicians, or athletes, then it's awesome.

I pretty much don't give a damn about any of them one way or another, though it should surprise nobody if I say that I don't like Sanders' political agenda (putting aside the MLB anti-trust issue completely for a moment), because I think ihs agenda is bad for the country and for the larger world.

For what it's worth, I don't have a strong opinion about the anti-trust issue, but I don't trust that Sanders represents my interests or those of the public in this case or pretty much any case.