LOCKOUT '22: When will we see baseball again?

When will the regular season start?   

47 members have voted

1. 1. When will the regular season start?

• On Time (late March)
    • During April
    • During May
    • During June
    • During July
    • No season in 2022. Go Mud Hens !
    • Fire Ausmus

12 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Divisional rivalries a thing of the past?

Another thing I don't like.  More interleague play and fewer divisional games.  If they don't care about divisional rivalries, then get rid of divisions and just take the top six teams in each league.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

That’ll be a trip to the A’s or Mariners.

So are they keeping the schedule and just folding the missing series in all willy nilly?  Two single day doubleheader trips out west to make up the Seattle series will be joyous.

Edited by casimir

6 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Another thing I don't like.  More interleague play and fewer divisional games.  If they don't care about divisional rivalries, then get rid of divisions and just take the top six teams in each league.  

Lee for commissioner.

12 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

One had to see this coming when interleague play was initially introduced. It was the the beginning of the end of traditional baseball at the major league level. Interleague play created an opening for this 💩. I figured then that MLB would trend toward the NFL and other major sports where the distinctions and traditions between the leagues and divisions eventually disappear. The DH, which I hate in either league, was bound to end up in both leagues once it was permanent in the AL. I realize expansion plays a part in this but not to the point it is now.

Okay, so fewer divisional games, here's how this might work.      

Divisional   12 x 4 = 48
League  6 x10 = 60
Interleague Matching Division (Central) 4x4 = 16
Interleague Other Divisions  3x10 = 30 
Interleague "Buddy" team  8x1 = 8 (Pittsburgh for us)

48 + 60 + 16 + 30 + 8 = 162

We still get to see the Royals, Twins, White Sox and Guardians 6 times at Comerica

Buddy Teams

NY Yankees - NY Mets

Boston - Philadelphia

Tampa Bay - Miami

Baltimore - Washington

Toronto - Atlanta

Chi White Sox - Chi Cubs

Cleveland - Cincinnati

Detroit - Pittsburgh

Kansas City - St. Louis

Minnesota - Milwaukee

LA Angels - LA Dodgers

Oakland - San Francisco

Seattle - San Diego

Texas - Colorado 

Houston - Arizona

Houston, Texas, Seattle get hard to match up, but the rest of the "Buddy" teams make perfect sense.  

I actually like this more.  I get tired of the same boring teams.   This could help everyone get a chance to see superstars from other divisions and other leagues.    Dodgers would play here this year, we'd play there next year

16 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

I don't pay attention to NFL.  What is an "NFL like tie-breaker system"?  Is it like, whoever scored more runs during the season automatically wins?

1st TB in NFL is head to head record which I assume would be the same in MLB

20 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

I don't pay attention to NFL.  What is an "NFL like tie-breaker system"?  Is it like, whoever scored more runs during the season automatically wins?

The "NFL like tie break system" is the exact quote that I saw so I don't know if they mean literally exactly like it or just mean that there will be different tie breakers to determine who gets it instead of playing an extra game.  If it's literal the first NFL tie breaker iis head to head record followed by divisional record(if they are in the same division, if not this doesn't come into play) and conference record.  AFter that I'm not exactly sure, but I believe at some point points differential is there and record against common opponent. 

3 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

hard for someone like Niko Goodrum or Jose Urena to get elected to an executive position when they may not have a 40-man spot.

there is value in having Max and Cole speak to fans and media as well

but 0-8 and 26-4 does show a chasm

yeah - lots of reasons why the players that most need the union to represent them are probably not in a position to participate much in the union. Not only are so many guys constantly fighting for a spot, but they also worry that being active in the union means all other things being equal on a roster decision between them and another player and they will be the one sent out. Probably a justified fear.

3 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I agree but more divisions means more artifical races that keeps fans interested. I hated the 1 game playoff, I hope it's gone.

The Tigers got all their tanking in right in time to get Mize, Tork, Greene and Jobe before the end of the CBA. The lottery would have potentially changed all that. Now, the lottery potentially benefits the Tigers in the immediate future as their tanking days are over.

Edited by Scottwood
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Hongbit said:

1st TB in NFL is head to head record which I assume would be the same in MLB

Wasn’t MLB using tiebreaker rules for seeding or home field advantage under certain circumstances? Sounds familiar.

I think with the new 2-of-3s taking the place of the one-and-dones, they didn’t want to get in a situation where there would be three- or four-way ties and they’d have to have a series of round robin games that might delay the rest of the postseason. There was a possibility of that kind of situation last season,

In any event, it sucks. I’ve been to a couple 163s, there’s nothing like everything is on the line with this game. Win and get into the playoffs; lose and go home. It’s the main reason I came around to liking the one-and-done wild card game.

14 hours ago, KL2 said:

Oh there are a million effects.

Those players could be removed from their union positions. 

The players might have egg on their face when people start to ask could this have all been solved on 2 weeks but these guys were being a pain and held everything uap, alone.

In the future, it's clear these 8 want something different from the rank and file. How do the owner negotiate with that. Knowing this group wants x and that group wants y. 

There might be something to this. All eight of the subcommittee guys are established veterans who have made eight or nine figures throughout their career, so some of the key gains Players make in this deal don’t affect them. The rank and file, though, a lot of those guys are 0-3 who fee they can’t afford to give up the paychecks so much. They’re eager to clear as many of those $58.333.33 bimonthly checks as they can. The subcommittee guys don’t have to worry about that, so they can stand on their principles, whatever those may be.