CFP semi-final: #1 Michigan against a school named after a type of Chili or #2 Michigan vs. a team who couldn't even win the SEC

romad1

1 minute ago, buddha said:

i'll dump on that ex-buckeye all i want!  😉

LOL. For a Buckeye,  KH has been OK in my book over the years. He did get way out in front of his skis on the Les Miles thing. He did an interview later where he admitted that as an analyst he needed to stay out of the news end. I think someone he thought he could trust used him there. Needs to start watching his weight though - looking a little portly in his last commercial!

Something that I really didnt put any stock in at the time but could potentially mean something is the location of the game.  I think getting to play in an outdoor venue vs. Indoor like we would've been in the other game could benefit us if there is rain, whether it be during the game or before the game. 

The rain could potentially slow down the field and in turn any advantage GA has speed wise. If it happens during the game we have experience playing in bad weather with wet footballs where as I don't think GA does.

I know this is unlikely and even if it it does happen it may only give UM a small advantage but every little advantage could help pull off the upset.

Listening to Valenti and Rico and I swear they either just hear what they want to hear or just make crap up so they can rant about something.

I say this cause they were just ranting about ESPN and the national media jocking Michigan by saying they should be number 1 and are the clearly best team in the country. Wtf?

Ive been watching most of the shows the past couple days and Ive yet to see any national guy say that except for maybe an alumn like Desmond Howard or Rich Eisen and even them I personally haven't heard say that. 

17 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Sweet SI cover, prefer it to have Hutchinson on it though. 

It's not a terrible analogy, but there are significant differences. JJ is clearly talented, but we've never seen him make one of the impossible Elway-esque throws that Henson and only a few guys that have ever played in the NFL could make. So the draw to Henson was much stronger - physically he really was a freak as a thrower. Of course it wasn't till he played that exposed that he wasn't all that good a QB. For all we know JJ may actually be a good QB. Harbaugh has made sure to never play him enough for that discussion to get serious.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Listening to Valenti and Rico and I swear they either just hear what they want to hear or just make crap up so they can rant about something.

I say this cause they were just ranting about ESPN and the national media jocking Michigan by saying they should be number 1 and are the clearly best team in the country. Wtf?

Ive been watching most of the shows the past couple days and Ive yet to see any national guy say that except for maybe an alumn like Desmond Howard or Rich Eisen and even them I personally haven't heard say that. 

Pay them no never mind 

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

It's not a terrible analogy, but there are significant differences. JJ is clearly talented, but we've never seen him make one of the impossible Elway-esque throws that Henson and only a few guys that have ever played in the NFL could make. So the draw to Henson was much stronger - physically he really was a freak as a thrower. Of course it wasn't till he played that exposed that he wasn't all that good a QB. For all we know JJ may actually be a good QB. Harbaugh has made sure to never play him enough for that discussion to get serious.

Do you not see the kid in the games?  He's hella athletic but not quite yet a field general.  He's a lot better than Joe Milton, Dylan Mccafrey and Shea Patterson but thus far Cade is a better custodian of the plan and knows the playbook.  They have used JJ's talents very well thus far. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Before: 2015-2020, After: November 27-Dec 4, 2021 video for it needed immediately

there is a 2% video I didn't love.  The audio at the beginning is all noisy (the haters calling for Harbaugh's head) and it doesn't really work.  The focus on OSU game pretty much the middle part. 

Edited by romad1

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

Do you not see the kid in the games?  He's hella athletic but not quite yet a field general.  He's a lot better than Joe Milton, Dylan Mccafrey and Shea Patterson but thus far Cade is a better custodian of the plan and knows the playbook.  They have used JJ's talents very well thus far. 

Not sure what you are asking. McCarthy is big and fast, like any 5 star would  be. But he doesn't have anything like the 'skill' hype around him Henson had (yet) and Harbaugh has kept his light pretty well shaded beyond his ability to run RPO. He has one big throw completion out of a total career of only 27. 

OTOH, Henson had played enough to demonstrate the arm talent that had everyone drooling.  If he had been able to think the game as well as he could make the throws, he might be vying with Brady for GOAT. In that sense the analogy is sort of unfair to McCarthy. He may read come to read defenses and manage an offense just fine - we don't know yet, he hasn't been given the chance. And the comparison of McNamara to Brady is also off in that Brady never dealt with doubts that he had the physical attributes to be a top pro style QB. In fact he is the prototypical physical specimen, he simply hadn't learned how to be one until he got to NE.

So beyond having a possibly gifted guy nipping at this heels, like a lot QBs do (like you hope you have recruited well enough to always have) beyond that the parallel gets a little forced.

Edited by gehringer_2

Its funny earlier in the year I thought of the Brady/Henson comparison except Carr was way more selective when he used Henson.

I specifically remember a game at Illinois where Brady pretended he got hurt so Henson immediately came in did a designed run play. Then right after the play Brady came right back in like nothing happened.

Carr figured they would know they were running the ball or doing some trickery if they brought in Henson for no reason but if he was forced to come in for injury maybe the whole playbook would still be open. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

There are definitely some differences between all the players involved though.

For one even though JJ was a 5 star recruit he was nowhere near viewed as highly as Henson who was viewed as a unicorn type prospect. Not just by Michigan fans but the national media a like.

Just for one example I remember Kiper saying that if he didn't choose baseball there was a real chance he could've given Vick a run for the number 1 pick that year and that's saying something cause Vick as well was viewed as this generational prospect.

Then as far as Cade goes, no he isn't going to be Tom Brady but going by where they were at their respective points I think Cade is probably viewed in higher regard. Unlike Brady, Cade was a sought after recruit and borderline 5 star guy, like the article said even schools like Bama offered him a scholarship and they don't do that for scrubs.

Btw just gotta say the highlight of my HS Athletic career my "Al Bundy 4td in the city championship" if you will moment was going 1 for 3 with a double off Henson. That game was the closest I would ever come to playing in a big time game considering Henson drew monster crowds everywhere he went. Anyway the double came when I was late on a fb but I barreled it for a double just inside the 1b line. I should've asked for the ball after. Lol

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 2

Some tales of the tape between the two schools playing in Miami on New Year's Eve:

Older school: 

• Georgia founded 1785, 
  • Michigan founded 1817

Bigger school: 

• Michigan 44,663;
  • Georgia 29,765

Endowment: 

• Michigan $17 billion;
  • Georgia $1.36 billion

Most interesting political grad: 

• Michigan Raoul Wallenberg (Swedish Holocaust hero and victim of the KGB);
  • Georgia Sally Yates (former acting attorney general)

Most interesting business grad

• Georgia Daniel Amos (founder and CEO of AFLAC);
  • Michigan Henry Bloch (founder of H&R Block) -- Michigan has a LOOONG list including the Meijer family, all sorts of mega billionaires...I settled on this guy. 

Most interesting entertainment grad:

• Georgia Wayne Knight (Newman from Seinfeld show);
  • Michigan Ann B. Davis (The Brady Bunch);  

Most interesting sports grad: 

• Michigan Jim Abbot (MLB pitcher who had to remove his glove to be a belly itcher);
  • Georgia Matt Stafford (former NFL QB and currently employed along the West coast reported to be prospering in dry goods); 

Most interesting military grad: 

• Georgia Charles Beckwith (US Army Special Forces, creator of Delta Force;
  • Michigan Samuel Phillips (Air Force General and head of NASA's Lunar Landing Program during Apollo project and head of National Security Agency)

Highest academic ranking in: 

• Georgia: Insurance Tied for #1;
  • Michigan #1 in social work, sociology, marketing

Number of Astronauts: 

• Michigan 12; Number of space missions entirely crewed by Michigan alums 2 (Gemini IV and Apollo 15);
  • Georgia still working out if the Earth is round.

Number of graduates killed in US Civil War: 

• Georgia 100; 
  • Michigan not as many but they fought on the correct side.
Edited by romad1

6 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Your numbers are out of date. 'U' announced enrollment in A^2 hit 50K this term.

https://record.umich.edu/articles/u-m-enrollment-this-fall-tops-50000-for-first-time/

Ooops...I specifically remember the 50k number.  Go with the relative difference.  I'm sure Georgia didn't suddenly find 25,000 more kids interested in college in 2021. 

update: the wikipedia number for 2021 for Georgia is 38,920 so that's a nice bump for them. 

Edited by romad1