Lions at Seahawks

sagnam

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Really good to see the fight in the team today. I was thinking earlier that it would be frustrating if a blowout or two per season became a part of the Campbell regime. This climb back (even if ultimately futile) was not to be seen against the Bengals or Eagles.

Yes. Campbell seems to get the most out of his players. Obviously, he has very little talent to work with but they were fighting and never gave up. Unlike the teams under our last coach.

If the Lions make a few great moves in the next couple of years, we may be good. It looks like we have a Golden Tate clone in St. Brown. Get a wide out, some defense and maybe we'll have something.

7 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Yes. Campbell seems to get the most out of his players. Obviously, he has very little talent to work with but they were fighting and never gave up. Unlike the teams under our last coach.

If the Lions make a few great moves in the next couple of years, we may be good. It looks like we have a Golden Tate clone in St. Brown. Get a wide out, some defense and maybe we'll have something.

Given the way players have been dropping this season I'm starting to wonder if someone needs to take a look at the strength and conditioning staff.  Maybe a review to make sure they're taking advantage of the best current science if that hasn't been done.

Edited by gehringer_2

8 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Is Tim Boyle a competent backup? 

I feel like that's a hard question to answer, because a lot of backup QB duties are never seen by the lay public. The backup is often an integral part of the starter's game week. They diagnose defenses, assist in play-calling, and are an extra mind on the sideline for the starting QB.

They're expected to be at least semi-competent if they are forced into action, but if any team's starting QB goes down, you can't be expected to win very many games. That's just the nature of the sport. I would argue the unseen aspects (and a low salary cap hit) are a bit more important in selecting a backup QB than how they perform in the unlucky (and hopefully unlikely) event they are forced to.

30 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I don’t know the answer but I can see what both GB and the Lions saw in him.  

He looks comfortable in the pocket and doesn’t have happy feet.  He’s got a good arm when he sets his feet.  The problems start when he faces any kind of pressure and some of the poor decisions you see from a backup.    The game hasn’t slowed down for him yet.  

14 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Given the way players have been dropping this season I'm starting to wonder if someone needs to take a look at the strength and conditioning staff.  Maybe a review to make sure they're taking advantage of the best current science if that hasn't been done.

covid/crappy team byproduct

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

If the question is: Can he win a game or two if necessary to keep us in the playoff picture or even win a playoff game...

There's no way to answer that until this team has better talent. If we have a defense that can keep playoff-level teams to less than 20 points, and Boyle can score 21+ points against a playoff caliber defense, even if it doesn't look pretty, then yes. But, we're not at that point yet, where we can actually answer that question....

Everyone else above covered the other issues surrounding the backup QB...

St. Brown looked great in the preseason so I was starting to drink the kool aid on him but then he disappeared for the first half of the season and I got worried that maybe he wasn't that player we saw in the preseason. But the last month or so he has been that player and then some.

He may not be a top 5 wr like he has been playing but I do think he is legit. Not only for what he shown but also his pedigree, he was a 5 star recruit and top wr coming out of HS so it's not like he is just some unknown coming out of nowhere. 

Edited by RandyMarsh