Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

On 12/30/2023 at 9:20 PM, Edman85 said:

All this minor league OBP gushing reminds me of this.

Which former Tigers prospect is this? Hint: he played several years in the Majors. MLB career OBP was sub .300. image.thumb.png.e07c70d7b71c47674127d2049a130073.png

It’s gotta be someone who was talked up as a top prospect who ultimately exposed at the major leagues but we still gave too many at bats to, like Jacoby Jones or Don Kelly or Harold Castro, someone like that.

Posted (edited)

To circle back to Malloy - for a guy who whose zone discipline is good enough to walk 100 times, he has a fair amount of trouble finding the ball when it's in the zone - 152 Ks to go with the 110 walks. I assume the Tiger stat nerds found comps that made them interested in picking him up, but it's an unusual profile to say the least - I could see him being anything from a useful player to a >35% K washout.

Edited by gehringer_2

4 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Chaz got it.

image.png.d7ed144ee28ae45ca7c297592698b166.png

lol! I was just thinking about this some and coming back to say no way could it be Harold Castro because he couldn’t have had that kind of separation between his on base and batting average. 

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

FG ranked international prospects, soon to be signed.

More of the same for the Tigers. Detroit in line to sign one guy, #45.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2024-international-prospect-rankings-and-scouting-reports/

(Pipeline has him 45th as well. https://www.mlb.com/prospects/2024/international/nestor-miranda-815930)

any concern that he's already a first baseman?

On 1/12/2024 at 5:09 PM, RatkoVarda said:

FG ranked international prospects, soon to be signed.

More of the same for the Tigers. Detroit in line to sign one guy, #45.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2024-international-prospect-rankings-and-scouting-reports/

(Pipeline has him 45th as well. https://www.mlb.com/prospects/2024/international/nestor-miranda-815930)

And it's official 

Gonna remind people in as many spots as I can before they fly off the handle over the Tigers still staying out of the deep end of this pool despite Harris and Metzler taking over. Most of the high end deals signed today were agreed to 2-3 years ago. Even if they wanted to reverse course, that isn't happening.

The new facility and ensuing upgrades in the DR are no small investment, likely exceeding a year or two of Miguel Cabrera's salary when all is said and done, which should help the churn of some of these players, but we are talking 3-4 years before that machine is up and running, and another 5+ until those guys are knocking on the big league door. There really are no fast answers down there, short of a shift in priority in the types of players signing to five-digit bonuses you want.

Edited by Edman85
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Any guesses from our prospect guru’s where Miranda would rank in our system?

Back end of the top 40 or so... I'd even rank him lower because of the general lack of success of players of his profile signed at his age.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Baseball Prospectus with their top 101 list. Nice to see some McGonigle hype.

17 Jackson Jobe DET RHP
22 Colt Keith DET 3B
24 Max Clark DET OF
66 Jace Jung DET 2B
79 Kevin McGonigle DET IF

Marcelo Mayer 32

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1