Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

What do the Vikings do.  After the packers game is the trade deadline.  You’d think a team that wanted cousins would get him now.  Vikings go 1-3 in this stretch and are 2-7 when Jefferson is eligible to return, what’s the point?  Even if they go 2-2 and are 3-6. Are they gonna extend cousins again and ride with him?  

31 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

What do the Vikings do.  After the packers game is the trade deadline.  You’d think a team that wanted cousins would get him now.  Vikings go 1-3 in this stretch and are 2-7 when Jefferson is eligible to return, what’s the point?  Even if they go 2-2 and are 3-6. Are they gonna extend cousins again and ride with him?  

I can’t imagine the market is exactly excited at the prospects of acquiring a 35yo rental quarterback with a propensity to fall flat on national television.

Short of an injury happening to a contender I don’t see a lot of teams that really make sense. The Jets maybe, but they have nothing to offer and can’t pay him. The Titans if they find themselves hanging around and want to make one last push? The Patriots if they want to give up on Mac Jones early and see if Cousins is worth being their guy in 2024? Maybe Mac even goes the other way in that one. None of those teams would offer more than a 3rd or 4th round pick though, if that.

Given the absence of demand they’ll probably hold out hope to make the playoffs for as long as they can.

50 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

You trade Cousins especially with Jefferson out for a while, it's a no brainer for any organization with a brain which I question that Vikings management has. Older QB that is a UFA on a team that isn't a contender for the foreseeable future. They might just keep Cousins to make JJ happy and pay him top dollar and boy do I hope they do.

Were Minnesota smart, they would trade Cousins and Danielle Hunter and tank for Caleb Williams. I hope they aren't smart because I'd hate for us to have to spend the next 12 years worrying about Caleb Williams, assuming he ends up a solid NFL starting QB. I think the Vikings pass though on their opportunity to ditch Cousins and start over and instead opt to keep him. Which is great for us here in Detroit.

49 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I can’t imagine the market is exactly excited at the prospects of acquiring a 35yo rental quarterback with a propensity to fall flat on national television.

Short of an injury happening to a contender I don’t see a lot of teams that really make sense. The Jets maybe, but they have nothing to offer and can’t pay him. The Titans if they find themselves hanging around and want to make one last push? The Patriots if they want to give up on Mac Jones early and see if Cousins is worth being their guy in 2024? Maybe Mac even goes the other way in that one. None of those teams would offer more than a 3rd or 4th round pick though, if that.

Given the absence of demand they’ll probably hold out hope to make the playoffs for as long as they can.

I think the Falcons make the most sense, honestly.  Ridder ain’t ready (likely will never be). The falcons have a good team otherwise and some decent weapons. Especially with that division.  Trade for cousins now and they could be the favorites in that division for the next 3-4 years.  Maybe the falcons really like their 3rd round QB. 

24 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

I think the Falcons make the most sense, honestly.  Ridder ain’t ready (likely will never be). The falcons have a good team otherwise and some decent weapons. Especially with that division.  Trade for cousins now and they could be the favorites in that division for the next 3-4 years.  Maybe the falcons really like their 3rd round QB. 

It's possible. That would be a weird transition for that offense to make midseason though, Ridder and Cousins are nearly polar opposites as far as their strengths go.

On 10/8/2023 at 10:01 PM, RandyMarsh said:

PFF posted the side by side on their twitter account and it was almost exactly the same, totally not a coincidence. With that said not sure if Shanahan copied Johnson or if maybe they both watched some college football game or something last week that ran that play and both decided to implement it into the playbook.

It doesn't seem like the 49ers would've ran that play in a game without practicing first which would've been the case if they stole it after watching the Lions today which makes me think that they both took it from the same team/person and coincidentally happened to both use it today. 

According to this article the play came from David Blough who ran it at Purdue. 

Take that Blough haters! 

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2023/10/11/detroit-lions-film-review-diverse-offense-keeps-panthers-guessing/

What mystifies me about the Browns move too is that they had a good thing going with Baker Mayfield. He wasn’t perfect but he was a competitor who brought them within a couple points of an AFC Championship Game appearance.

There was just no need to be the crazy team acquiring Watson on an insane deal.

NFL owners are probably happy to see him fail, hard to imagine a fully guaranteed contract like that being signed in the near future.