POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

28 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

https://news.yahoo.com/theyre-clearing-homeless-people-san-202319014.html

In playing the perfect host, San Fran is adapting to their slightly more right leaning guests and cleaning up the city a bit.

“The president will also raise areas of cooperation — including climate change and countering narcotics trafficking — as well as Beijing’s role in the Israel-Hamas conflict and Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.”

Total. Waste. Of. Time. 

SF was a beautiful city and it sucks it’s become what it is. We’ve said several times we’d love to go back but not a chance these days. 

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

It may be, but China is showing a willingness to talk.  If someone is willing to talk to you, I think the default should always be to listen.  Worst case, waste of time.   Lots of best case possibilities though.

As much as China has been a total pain in the ass the past 20 years or so...

This is the take I have to agree with.

China still wants to push the US aside and dominate the world. That's not going to happen, and I think they know that now. So we still need to talk them into being a responsible world partner instead of a belligerent world chaos agent. They may not change... but we've still got to try to convince them to and there's no way to do that aside from sitting down with them and talking it out...

On 11/13/2023 at 7:40 AM, ewsieg said:

It may be, but China is showing a willingness to talk.  If someone is willing to talk to you, I think the default should always be to listen.  Worst case, waste of time.   Lots of best case possibilities though.

That's pretty much what Stan said about Trump talking to Kim.  😃

6 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

He's still kissing his ass.  He said he was smart because he shows his country who the boss is.  

Through executions and self-induced famine wiping out percentages of the population every few years...

What a jackass. (Applies to both, although Kim is obviously the more deadly of the two and the other asshat is mostly hot air.)

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Through executions and self-induced famine wiping out percentages of the population every few years...

What a jackass. (Applies to both, although Kim is obviously the more deadly of the two and the other asshat is mostly hot air.)

I've also read about the prison camps where his opponents and their families are starved and tortured.  I don't know if that's still going on but it sounded absolutely brutal.  

13 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

That's pretty much what Stan said about Trump talking to Kim.  😃

To be fair, I didn't object to that either although I understood the argument against it.  There was a lot of behind the scenes work for China/US to even determine if meeting was worth it.  That's your traditional foreign policy standard process.

Trump's was more on the fly.  IIRC, we got an agreement out of Kim to remove nuclear weapons from all of Korea, although I have no idea if there was any 'bite' to that agreement or just something both could sign for popularity points.  I do remember soldier remains were shipped back to the US, so there was still value in that meeting.

Just now, ewsieg said:

To be fair, I didn't object to that either although I understood the argument against it.  There was a lot of behind the scenes work for China/US to even determine if meeting was worth it.  That's your traditional foreign policy standard process.

Trump's was more on the fly.  IIRC, we got an agreement out of Kim to remove nuclear weapons from all of Korea, although I have no idea if there was any 'bite' to that agreement or just something both could sign for popularity points.  I do remember soldier remains were shipped back to the US, so there was still value in that meeting.

I also didn't think there was anything wrong with it in theory.  It's just that everything Trump does is on the fly and I don't trust any Trump agreement to be anything more than something that benefits himself personally in terms of money or popularity.  I also assume that anything good that comes out of anything involving him was because of something that someone else did.  I think the main result of the meeting was Kim coming out of it feeling more relevant on the world stage which is not a good thing.   

But maybe pfife can tell us what they got out of the summit!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

... Trump's was more on the fly.  IIRC, we got an agreement out of Kim to remove nuclear weapons from all of Korea, although I have no idea if there was any 'bite' to that agreement or just something both could sign for popularity points.  I do remember soldier remains were shipped back to the US, so there was still value in that meeting.

It's always worth it to try.

But removing nukes from Korea...?

North Korea will NEVER agree to that... EVER.

So you would need to provide some documentary evidence on that bolded part... otherwise, hogwash.

But... even though Trump is an imbecile, if he had some remains of soldiers sent back to the US (I vaguely remember that also...); it's a positive. 

I don't want to declare Trump 100% bad, cause no one is 100% anything, good or bad... 

But getting back remains would go on the positive side of the ledger, one of a few that he managed...

NK would be happy to do it, assuming they were paid enough to do so.  Of course they would just start building them again.

I just looked it up, looks like part of it was reaffirming an agreement to denuclearize the peninsula that Kim made with South Korea in 2018. For reference:

nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/full-text-u-s-north-korea-agreement-signed-trump-kim-n882246

21 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

"Jackass" and "asshat" seem to me such wildly insufficient epithets to use in reference to a genocidal dictator.

This story is based on some appalling situations where parents were able to abuse their kids because they were protected by the lack of oversight of homeschooled kids.

I have colleagues who did the homeschooling thing because they lived in places with terrible schools (e.g., Texas, Florida).  Many other potential reasons why people don't want their kids being socialized within the community but...if it also enables this great evil...yeah, lets get some oversight.

it's also easier to brainwash them.  That's not usually the intent by the parents because they themselves have been brainwashed.  Check out the Duggar thing on Amazon Prime.   Lots of people from my HS have homeschooled their kids after they spread out in the country.  The "evil" public schools.