Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

3 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

My body my choice. I think we have heard this before maybe?

except that unhelmeted rider lying with a broken head on the pavement (and his dependents) would scream bloody murder if we told him as a society we were just going to let him lie there and bleed out in his 'choices' instead of paying to fix and rehab him. 

Like Mr. Donne done said - 'No man is an island'

Edited by gehringer_2

33 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

If worn correctly, a cloth mask is mildly effective but let's be real here for just a second: how many people on a plance are wearing them correctly? Optimistically three. Pragmatically none. They're off for meals and drinking. They're constantly being adjusted which will cause the hands (the germ petri dish) to constantly be near the eyes. It's silly and a charade on planes at this point, which, btw, have the best filtration system currently available.

Again, you are always welcome to wear yours. No one is stopping you just like no one is stopping you from driving to your destination instead either.

there have been almost no cases of covid spreading on planes.  the air is filtered out almost constantly.  

the cdc does not make people wear them in bars.  BARS!  but yet makes people wear them in "transit hubs" and on planes.  it's incredibly inconsistent.

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

except that unhelmeted rider lying with a broken head on the pavement (and his dependents) would scream bloody murder if we told him as a society we were just going to let him lie there and bleed out in his 'choices' instead of paying to fix and rehab him. 

as opposed to a guy wearing a helmet lying there and bleeding out?

7 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

What about Auto Insurance? It is totally legal to ride a Motorcycle in my state without a helmet.

1 minute ago, buddha said:

there have been almost no cases of covid spreading on planes

that you know of.....LOL. It is probably true that the lines in the airport are worse than the plane - at least when it's flying. On the ground on each end the ventilation on the plane, which is good, may or may be on until the cabin doors are closed. If you have a gate or loading delay, you may find yourself in a tin can with dead air 

14 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Yup. Tell me who's mind this thought hasn't crossed.

I'd also prefer folks wear socks and not wear pajamas. But then I'm very old school.

We were on a flight to London several years ago. In coach middle row, 5 seats. The guy beside my wife was barefoot the entire flight, scabs on his feet and ankles. No fun.

33 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think we have reached the point where it becomes context dependent. In my county the Vax rate is 87% and there have not been any fatalities in anyone too young to be vaccinated so I'm not bothered walking around in an unmasked general public any more. In an airplane where I am trapped in space with a person of unknown history, not so much. At the U, where a 5 day quarantine still creates a major hardship for students, we still mask in the classroom  because it helps keep as many in class as possible. One of the problems in America is that we act like we are stupid (well, because we are), and have to have simple stupid one size fits all rules. Being asked to apply a little intelligent judgment has become too much for American society. (And of course the flip side is we are too belligerent to take other people's good advice.)

but you still want them required on planes where there have been little to no cases of spread and the air is constantly filtered out.

so where do you draw the line (because lines must inevitably be drawn)?  why do you allow people to not wear a mask in a bar where there is a huge risk for spread of airbirne contagions, but require them to wear one on a plane, where the risk is very low (and people take the off to eat and drink on the plane)?

the people who are throwing out the argument that thosr who object to this do are doing so "because its haaaaard to wear a mask are just making up strawmen.  there is a legitimate reason to ask why we are doing this on planes.  should we keep doing it?  if so, why?  

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

that you know of.....LOL. It is probably true that the lines in the airport are worse than the plane - at least when it's flying. On the ground on each end the ventilation on the plane, which is good, may or may be on until the cabin doors are closed. If you have a gate or loading delay, you may find yourself in a tin can with dead air 

g2, they trace these things constantly and there have been little to no spread on airplanes.  so why keep doing it?  for show?

1 minute ago, CMRivdogs said:

I'd also prefer folks wear socks and not wear pajamas. But then I'm very old school.

We were on a flight to London several years ago. In coach middle row, 5 seats. The guy beside my wife was barefoot the entire flight, scabs on his feet and ankles. No fun.

that's cause for an international incident.

g2, they trace these things constantly and there have been little to no spread on airplanes.  so why keep doing it?  for show?

have they traced it without people wearing masks on planes?

Edited by pfife
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

But the point of wearing a mask is to help others more than myself. I don’t wear a mask these much these days, but I’m okay wearing one in certain instances and if cases surge again. 

if someone asks me to wear a mask, i wear one.  i put it on on the train ride home.  i dont complain about it.  but i'd rather not and i dont think there's a big need for it anymore.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

as opposed to a guy wearing a helmet lying there and bleeding out?

you do get credit for effort. 

On a related note, I have noticed that the boomers seem to have finally decided it's time give up their Harleys. Seeing much smaller numbers out and about anymore.

in the beginning they did, before a mandate.  no spread, iirc.

they have really good air filtration systems on planes, that's the reason i think.

so the maskless measurements are from the era of much less contagious variations?

16 minutes ago, buddha said:

COVID tracing in the US has been bad joke since early in the  pandemic. Everyone was pretty much forced to give up because tracking capabilities were overwhelmed when once it really took off.

The silliest thing in the airplane is that you take it off when they feed you and eating/drinking is probably the worst spread vector so it's a good thing the air on the planes does change out fast.

To your more general question, nothing about the way air-travel is managed is rational, so that's about the last place I'd expect to see reason anyway.

Edited by gehringer_2

13 minutes ago, pfife said:

so the maskless measurements are from the era of much less contagious variations?

Of course there is also a counter arg that BA-2 is SO contagious masking is of less value anyway. We certainly are seeing a mini-surge in student cases despite the retention of the mask mandate in classroom, but even that is hard to tease out because mask mandates have been dropped on the rest of campus. And the population will scatter after this week so any more potential to study the population will go with it.

On board filtration systems were optimized after past airborne pandemics on board pandemics. I'm not worried about covid on flights. If they weren't, you would smell every fart everybody on a 200 person flight had.

Concourses are another issue. Some are different from others, and connections that force you onto shuttles are an issue too. Flying through ORD last year, I remember smelling a restaurant from several hundred yards away. I knew then the ventilation there was no good. JAX, DTW were fine.

Edited by Edman85

20 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

COVID tracing in the US has been bad joke since early in the  pandemic. Everyone was pretty much forced to give up because tracking capabilities were overwhelmed when once it really took off.

The silliest thing in the airplane is that you take it off when they feed you and eating/drinking is probably the worst spread vector so it's a good thing the air on the planes does change out fast.

To your more general question, nothing about the way air-travel is managed is rational, so that's about the last place I'd expect to see reason anyway.

its the same argument in restaurants!  you walk in with a mask and then take it off when you sit down.  there is no logic to it.

45 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

How is this any different than not wearing a seatbelt?