Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

My daughter has been home from school since last Friday.  Initially just felt I was being extra cautious as she was complaining about a runny nose Thursday night and coughed a little bit.  No fever, no nausea, but an occasional cough and a lot of sinus draining.  Over the weekend she complained about her throat.  No sign of Strep.  Overall doing better, but still draining a bit.  Pre-covid, i'd chalk it up to the common cold and hope it didn't turn into a sinus infection.  Finally called the doc today though at my wife's urging.  Based on her symptoms/severity, they don't want her to come in, but say to try and get an over the counter covid test and not to send her back to school until confirmed.  Weeks ago I noticed them everywhere.  Can't find them and if you are looking for one, don't trust the 'in stock' reporting on any pharmacy website.  So now, PCR test scheduled for tomorrow, Walgreens is saying 3-5 days for results though.  I'm pretty confident she's going to be out of school for at least a week over the sniffles...annoying.

31 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

My daughter has been home from school since last Friday.  Initially just felt I was being extra cautious as she was complaining about a runny nose Thursday night and coughed a little bit.  No fever, no nausea, but an occasional cough and a lot of sinus draining.  Over the weekend she complained about her throat.  No sign of Strep.  Overall doing better, but still draining a bit.  Pre-covid, i'd chalk it up to the common cold and hope it didn't turn into a sinus infection.  Finally called the doc today though at my wife's urging.  Based on her symptoms/severity, they don't want her to come in, but say to try and get an over the counter covid test and not to send her back to school until confirmed.  Weeks ago I noticed them everywhere.  Can't find them and if you are looking for one, don't trust the 'in stock' reporting on any pharmacy website.  So now, PCR test scheduled for tomorrow, Walgreens is saying 3-5 days for results though.  I'm pretty confident she's going to be out of school for at least a week over the sniffles...annoying.

As a teacher, I'd thank you for keeping her off.

We had a few in last week coughing all over everyone and everything. Really helpful parenting.

25 minutes ago, chasfh said:

It's all your fault because we got the Liberty über alles thing from you guys.

Did we? Funny you say "uber alles' because I would think philosophical absolutism of all kinds is more down the German line. We got Locke and Hobbes from England which is  consent of the governed and social contract - which imply mutual obligation - the concept in such short supply in US discourse today.

Edited by gehringer_2

5 hours ago, ewsieg said:

This is the concern, Kids bringing it home to an unvaxxinated family. And a family member(s) getting very ill from it. I don't mean you or your family, just the ones not taking it seriously. But JHC, I'm glad my son is grown. I can't imagine the stress of him in school, unmasked and around anti-vaxxers. And getting a young kid vaccinated? Scary as he'll, IMO.

2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

This is the concern, Kids bringing it home to an unvaxxinated family. And a family member(s) getting very ill from it. I don't mean you or your family, just the ones not taking it seriously. But JHC, I'm glad my son is grown. I can't imagine the stress of him in school, unmasked and around anti-vaxxers. And getting a young kid vaccinated? Scary as he'll, IMO.

She's the only one in the household that isn't eligible yet for the vaccine, so no concern for the rest of us here, but while she seemed better all day, right before bed she started complaining that her chest hurts and she doesn't feel like she can take deep breaths.  Oh vey.  

Cancelled Walgreens and setup a test with CVS tomorrow, they claim 1-2 day turnaround.  Found this, how infuriating.

https://www.newsweek.com/home-covid-tests-hit-shortage-after-companies-scaled-back-production-1631271

This is not a giveaway to “shithole” countries out of the goodness of our bleeding hearts. This is the most powerful country in the world doing its part to stop a worldwide pandemic from continuing to threaten the planet and kill millions more people, including here. You can’t build a wall to stop a disease.

19 hours ago, ewsieg said:

PCR test scheduled for tomorrow, Walgreens is saying 3-5 days for results though.  I'm pretty confident she's going to be out of school for at least a week over the sniffles...annoying.

I've had some symptoms and went for a PCR test at Rite Aid last Thursday. I'm still waiting for the results. I'm vaccinated and feeling better now, but still isolating from the rest of the family just to be sure. Even if not COVID, don't want anyone else getting sick.

14 hours ago, ewsieg said:

She's the only one in the household that isn't eligible yet for the vaccine, so no concern for the rest of us here, but while she seemed better all day, right before bed she started complaining that her chest hurts and she doesn't feel like she can take deep breaths.  Oh vey.  

Cancelled Walgreens and setup a test with CVS tomorrow, they claim 1-2 day turnaround.  Found this, how infuriating.

https://www.newsweek.com/home-covid-tests-hit-shortage-after-companies-scaled-back-production-1631271

Hope she is ok, and the rest of you as well.

15 hours ago, ewsieg said:

The last I heard, at home tests weren't highly accurate. Not sure how much trust I would put in them. And, depending where you live, hospitals may be very crowded. I received an email last week from Beaumont telling me to expect extremely long waits in their ER. They even told me to go to an Urgent Care for things like stitches and the like. It's a real mess...I hope your daughter feels better soon.