Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

22 hours ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

I've had some symptoms and went for a PCR test at Rite Aid last Thursday. I'm still waiting for the results. I'm vaccinated and feeling better now, but still isolating from the rest of the family just to be sure. Even if not COVID, don't want anyone else getting sick.

For the record, I got my results yesterday finally. Negative. News flash: other illnesses still exist in the world apparently!

• Like 1

just talked about this an hour ago.... one of my suppliers started bringing people back into the office 2 weeks ago.  Things in Poland are much better than here.   One guy is now out for a few days.

My wife talked with the infectious disease doctor and his big concern is the flu season.  With the flu being almost non existent last year they had nothing to go by in terms of setting up this year's flu shot.  Combine that with increased hesitancy towards vaccines now he fears we'll have a bad flu season combined with covid.  

3 minutes ago, casimir said:

I anticipate a rough flu season because of relaxed COVID protocol compared to last year.

As far as the flu vaccine itself, why not just add it to salad dressing?

because then I'd have to eat a salad.

I usually get my flu shot in late August when I go for my physical. They didn't have them yet. But it is a good idea to probably wait a little bit.  I'm not terribly worried about myself though, I'm working from home and am only around my family and people I work out/run with.  

1 hour ago, oblong said:

I usually get my flu shot in late August when I go for my physical. They didn't have them yet. But it is a good idea to probably wait a little bit.  I'm not terribly worried about myself though, I'm working from home and am only around my family and people I work out/run with.  

My understanding is that flu shots are generally effective for six months, so I wait until October or even November to get mine. Once we get into baseball season, I figure we're basically in the clear.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

My understanding is that flu shots are generally effective for six months, so I wait until October or even November to get mine. Once we get into baseball season, I figure we're basically in the clear.

My understanding is that the loss of activity of the flu shot is not completely understood. It had been assumed that the increase in vaccinated people getting the flu later in the season was that the vaccine 'wore off' so the advice would be don't get the shot too early. But there is a competing theory that the decrease in effectiveness of the vaccine over time may just be due to the constant mutation of wild flu - in which case it doesn't really help you to put off vaccination. Or maybe both are true. At UM they seem to be going more with the latter theory because they seem to be offering shots earlier each year recently - or maybe that is just logistics......

Edited by gehringer_2

In Idaho where I live the entire state is under crisis level. St. Luke’s which has several hospitals in Idaho has 67% of its total beds taken up by Covid patients. ICU is 95% Covid. Almost all these people are unvaccinated people. They literally spit in the faces of doctors and nurses accusing them of crimes against humanity and demanding to be given “alternative treatments.“ And the response of “real Americans“ in Idaho is to spray paint swastikas on St. Luke’s Hospital in Sun Valley to protest vaccinations and masks. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, oblong said:

My doctor told me to wait until mid-October to get my flu shot so it doesn't wear off too soon.

5 hours ago, casimir said:

I anticipate a rough flu season because of relaxed COVID protocol compared to last year.

As far as the flu vaccine itself, why not just add it to salad dressing?

I didn't know what you were talking about, I thought it was a (bad) joke. Now I just read the story about Flynn actually saying this. Those people will believe literally anything. Lmao

2 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

In Idaho where I live the entire state is under crisis level. St. Luke’s which has several hospitals in Idaho has 67% of its total beds taken up by Covid patients. ICU is 95% Covid. Almost all these people are unvaccinated people. They literally spit in the faces of doctors and nurses accusing them of crimes against humanity and demanding to be given “alternative treatments.“ And the response of “real Americans“ in Idaho is to spray paint swastikas on St. Luke’s Hospital in Sun Valley to protest vaccinations and masks. 

How long until those people reclaim the swastika and use it in white power demonstrations, just like their Greatest Generation forebears did?

2021-09-23_14-47-54.jpg.e2a8c8966a93900c30100300257445a5.jpg

2 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

And this is the state 7 Oregon counties have voted to join.

43 minutes ago, apabruce said:

And this is the state 7 Oregon counties have voted to join.

Eastern Washington and eastern Oregon contain virtually the same constituency that populates most of Idaho (outside of Boise and a handful of pockets where tourism draws people more acquainted with diversity).

12 hours ago, oblong said:

just talked about this an hour ago.... one of my suppliers started bringing people back into the office 2 weeks ago.  Things in Poland are much better than here.   One guy is now out for a few days.

My wife talked with the infectious disease doctor and his big concern is the flu season.  With the flu being almost non existent last year they had nothing to go by in terms of setting up this year's flu shot.  Combine that with increased hesitancy towards vaccines now he fears we'll have a bad flu season combined with covid.  

Can't remember what podcast I was listening to, but they had a Doc on who didn't expect anything huge this year as he expects a lot of mask usage still this winter.  He expects one more Covid surge in the North east / Midwest.  As such, he doesn't think the flu will be that bad this year, but expects a really bad flu season next year.  

On 9/21/2021 at 11:11 PM, ewsieg said:

She's the only one in the household that isn't eligible yet for the vaccine, so no concern for the rest of us here, but while she seemed better all day, right before bed she started complaining that her chest hurts and she doesn't feel like she can take deep breaths.  Oh vey.  

Cancelled Walgreens and setup a test with CVS tomorrow, they claim 1-2 day turnaround.  Found this, how infuriating.

https://www.newsweek.com/home-covid-tests-hit-shortage-after-companies-scaled-back-production-1631271

Negative test for my daughter!  About 6 more weeks before we can get her vaccinated, assuming it's not approved sooner.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, oblong said:

You can eat salad dressing without salad.  I present as evidence ranch dressing and the entire state of Wisconsin.