Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

2 hours ago, pfife said:

I've actually seen from multiple sources that there were some tests out there, literally yesterday, that were a bad batch and giving false positives.   A journalist yesterday tweeted that it happened to him, and then NPR reported about a known bad batch this morning.  Might be worth getting retested.

Thanks for the heads up. I may call the testing agency. The stories I am seeing are all for at-home tests, I took mine at an urgent care. Still might be worth it before getting too deep into ten days of nuthin'.

1 hour ago, Archie said:

Sure, If you don't want it don't get it....

Those refusing the vaccination should be denied:

The opportunity for military service.

Organ transplants.

Work in any state or federal agency, any school, any hospital, any first responder job.

Entry into any restaurant.

Medical insurance.

2 hours ago, pfife said:

Free Beacon is biased.   No sale.

Who cares if the source is biased.  She's outside and fully vaccinated.  Of course the only reason why she's wearing a mask in that situation is because she's sick and tired of the 'gotcha' crowd.  More proof of the GOP moving away from policy and more into a 'anything to own the libs' platform.  

21 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Who cares if the source is biased.  She's outside and fully vaccinated.  Of course the only reason why she's wearing a mask in that situation is because she's sick and tired of the 'gotcha' crowd.  More proof of the GOP moving away from policy and more into a 'anything to own the libs' platform.  

Ok I didn't read it though because I believe informed consumerism is vital to the survival of capitalism 

Edited by pfife

55 minutes ago, Archie said:

Who cares if it is or isn't.  The video doesn't lie.  

Informed consumerism is vital for capitalism.   Are you not pro capitalism enough to be an informed consumer?

Oh and right wing videos lie often.   Reap slash sew stich homes,

10 hours ago, Archie said:

Who cares if it is or isn't.  The video doesn't lie.  

Exactly, nor does it show any real 'gotcha' moment.  I think her politics suck and I think she's a fraud that doesn't care about her constituents, so trust me, I would love to see something that validates what I already know from her and possibly could hurt her chance to continue to get elected.  But this is a fake 'gotcha'.  The mask issue is widely overblown by the right.  The left is simply trying to set an example. 

My son has his learners permit, when i'm driving with him in the car I'm much more conscious about what i'm doing.  I tend to be an aggressive driver, lately I'm more relaxed.  I try and force myself to keep both hands on the wheel and not push the 5-10 over based on what road i'm on.  These are all things my wife tells me I should do while driving in the past, but instead of pointing it out in front of my son as a 'gotcha', she's an adult, realizes i'm trying to set an example.  (...and then before we go to bed, out of earshot of our kids, she comments how I'm driving better, lol)

I still maintain that right winger videos lie.  I base that on the relentless flow of right wing videos that lie.

I also still maintain that it is important, as consumers of products, that we do not treat producers of good products the same as producers of bad products.   Similarly, if you were hungry, would you stop at the burger joint that has repeatedly given you hockey pucks on stale bread?   Esp if Matthew Continetti was serving it up?

You guys are basically arguing "at least you're not hungry anymore after crushing that puck burger"

Edited by pfife

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

Exactly, nor does it show any real 'gotcha' moment.  I think her politics suck and I think she's a fraud that doesn't care about her constituents, so trust me, I would love to see something that validates what I already know from her and possibly could hurt her chance to continue to get elected.  But this is a fake 'gotcha'.  The mask issue is widely overblown by the right.  The left is simply trying to set an example. 

My son has his learners permit, when i'm driving with him in the car I'm much more conscious about what i'm doing.  I tend to be an aggressive driver, lately I'm more relaxed.  I try and force myself to keep both hands on the wheel and not push the 5-10 over based on what road i'm on.  These are all things my wife tells me I should do while driving in the past, but instead of pointing it out in front of my son as a 'gotcha', she's an adult, realizes i'm trying to set an example.  (...and then before we go to bed, out of earshot of our kids, she comments how I'm driving better, lol)

I agree its not a huge deal but says something about why she's wearing the mask.  A lot of her colleagues are preaching masks all the time but there are several examples where they don't wear them in crowd and only put them on for photo ops.

On 10/6/2021 at 3:09 PM, Archie said:

If you want to take the vaccine then take it.  If not then in should not be mandated.  Injecting chemicals in someones body should be their choice.

The vaccine should absolutely not be mandated.  

Rules limiting what people that are unvaccinated can do in public places should be.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

The vaccine should absolutely not be mandated...

Why not?

The military mandates a plethora of vaccines.

Multiple children's vaccines are mandated (measles, smallpox, polio, etc). At least when I grew up.

I don't really know if I am absolutely for or against a vaccine mandate... I agree on your second point...

I'm just playing devil's advocate here...

It’s worth noting that the Supreme Court upheld right of the states to require vaccines in times of pandemic in Jacobson v Massachusetts in 1905: 

The liberty secured by the Constitution of the United States does not import an absolute right in each person to be at all times, and in all circumstances, wholly freed from restraint, nor is it an element in such liberty that one person, or a minority of persons residing in any community and enjoying the benefits of its local government, should have power to dominate the majority when supported in their action by the authority of the State.

It is within the police power of a State to enact a compulsory vaccination law, and it is for the legislature, and not for the courts, to determine in the first instance whether vaccination is or is not the best mode for the prevention of smallpox and the protection of the public health.

There being obvious reasons for such exception, the fact that children, under certain circumstances, are excepted from the operation of the law does not deny the equal protection of the laws to adults if the statute is applicable equally to all adults in like condition.

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/197/11/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

The vaccine should absolutely not be mandated.  

Rules limiting what people that are unvaccinated can do in public places should be.  

I would have no problem with that.  Most things are privately owned so they should have the right to say who can or can't enter their establishment.

6 hours ago, chasfh said:

It’s worth noting that the Supreme Court upheld right of the states to require vaccines in times of pandemic in Jacobson v Massachusetts in 1905: 

The liberty secured by the Constitution of the United States does not import an absolute right in each person to be at all times, and in all circumstances, wholly freed from restraint, nor is it an element in such liberty that one person, or a minority of persons residing in any community and enjoying the benefits of its local government, should have power to dominate the majority when supported in their action by the authority of the State.

It is within the police power of a State to enact a compulsory vaccination law, and it is for the legislature, and not for the courts, to determine in the first instance whether vaccination is or is not the best mode for the prevention of smallpox and the protection of the public health.

There being obvious reasons for such exception, the fact that children, under certain circumstances, are excepted from the operation of the law does not deny the equal protection of the laws to adults if the statute is applicable equally to all adults in like condition.

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/197/11/

We delude our selves with our language. No one anywhere is "free" except the guy in hovel at the top of the mountain. We've been telling ourselves we live in "free country" for 200 yrs and it's rot. What we have is a system of "ordered liberty", or what the SCOTUS is describing in the quoted decision. The idea of representative government has never been that anyone gets to be free of restraint. The "Freedom" in a "free country" exists for the individual in circumscribed areas - such as those in the Bill of Rights, but more generally does NOT apply to lack of restraint on individuals but to the freedom of the public to make its laws for itself. There is nothing in the theory of the democratic republic that limits the ability of the public will to constrain and coerce individual action through legislative and executive power, beyond those specific limitations established by Constitutions, traditions, and legislation. 

9 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

We delude our selves with our language. No one anywhere is "free" except the guy in hovel at the top of the mountain. We've been telling ourselves we live in "free country" for 200 yrs and it's rot. What we have is a system of "ordered liberty", or what the SCOTUS is describing in the quoted decision. The idea of representative government has never been that anyone gets to be free of restraint. The "Freedom" in a "free country" exists for the individual in circumscribed areas - such as those in the Bill of Rights, but more generally does NOT apply to lack of restraint on individuals but to the freedom of the public to make its laws for itself. There is nothing in the theory of the democratic republic that limits the ability of the public will to constrain and coerce individual action through legislative and executive power, beyond those specific limitations established by Constitutions, traditions, and legislation. 

Now all we gotta do is get Fox News to tell their viewers this, and everything will be all right. 😏

• Haha 1

On 10/6/2021 at 7:38 PM, gehringer_2 said:

Both cases (3.8k/day) and hospitalizations still climbing in MI while other parts of the country are on the way down.

We are following the same pattern as the spring where everyone else went down and we went up.  The growth is much slower this time. Previous cycles lasted two months. We are two months into a slow climb.