Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

5 hours ago, Archie said:

In our area mask usage is very rare. I would say 5 to 10% or less in the stores I have been too recently.  We are required to wear them at work and most are chin guards.

Mask usage is more like 20-25% here, but that is down from when we had the massive spike in cases this summer when it jumped back up to something like 65-70% again.

To an extent, the combination of vaccination and dumbasses who will not avail themselves is the endgame here.... pretty soon we will all have exposure either naturally or through vaccination. Which in the long run moves us from it being a pandemic to endemic. 

I'd imagine the rules on masking, to the extent that certain regions even have rules/regs on masking, will evolve as this transition occurs.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

To an extent, the combination of vaccination and dumbasses who will not avail themselves is the endgame here.... pretty soon we will all have exposure either naturally or through vaccination. Which in the long run moves us from it being a pandemic to endemic. 

pretty much. There have been over 1 million confirmed cases in the state to date, which means probably 2 million including asymptomatic infections, and 5.5 million vaccinated. So say the remaining target population is about 2 million. Vaccinations are running about 500K/month and infections are running at 100K/month. So the 'naked' target population is currently falling by >25% per month.

Edited by gehringer_2

41 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

pretty much. There have been over 1 million confirmed cases in the state to date, which means probably 2 million including asymptomatic infections, and 5.5 million vaccinated. So say the remaining target population is about 2 million. Vaccinations are running about 500K/month and infections are running at 100K/month. So the 'naked' target population is currently falling by >25% per month.

The thing with that math though is there is overlap among those infected and vaccinated.  How much overlap?  Who knows.   

23 minutes ago, oblong said:

The thing with that math though is there is overlap among those infected and vaccinated.  How much overlap?  Who knows.   

of course that is true, - it's a rough approximation, but the basic geometry that the target pop is now shrinking pretty rapidly in a way that wasn't true for the previous surges doesn't change.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

of course that is true, - it's a rough approximation, but the basic geometry that the target pop is now shrinking pretty rapidly in a way that wasn't true for the previous surges doesn't change.

Agreed. Which is why the length of this latest surge is puzzling me. We are almost 3 months into slowly rising cases.  Who is left?  Thursday and Friday numbers slightly below last weeks.  A glimmer of hope for me that we are beginning to go down. 

anecdotally my wife says nearly every vaccinated patient she sees is J&J.  

As a sidenote, I went shopping today just to pick up a few things at a local big grocery store. The toilet paper aisle had nothing on the shelves. Not even a single roll. What the hell? Is this crap starting over again? (No pun intended) Are the hoarders back with a passion??

Just so ridiculous 

Colin Powell has died from COVID and was fully vaccinated.      So watch the Q-Tards use this to say "See.......it doesn't work".   They are going to hammer this to death.       In some ways I liked Powell, but he also helped dupe us into a very expensive war on false pretenses that led to a more unstable Middle East.   

He was pressured to do so.

That doesn't absolve him... but I place the burden on those who did the pressuring; and also on his moment of weakness. That moment was beyond costly.

Similarly, Pence was under duress to overthrow our Democracy by Trump. Glad he didn't also have a moment of weakness.

15 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

He was pressured to do so.

That doesn't absolve him... but I place the burden on those who did the pressuring; and also on his moment of weakness. That moment was beyond costly.

Similarly, Pence was under duress to overthrow our Democracy by Trump. Glad he didn't also have a moment of weakness.

He trusted people that lied to him and used his credibility to burnish their own, which they knew was not sufficient to sell their narrative. That's been pretty much the MO of republican leadership ever since - lie to people who trust you.

The vaccine manufacturers have never claimed it to be 100% effective.   If you compared the number of deaths from the vaccine or of the vaccinated to other medications including over the counter standards like aspirin, you'd see that there is no 100% cure for everything.  Thousands of people die from taking aspirin every year.   It's like seat belts, seat belts save lives but not every time, but you are far better off wearing one.    But that's nuance, and we can't have nuance (or as some would spell it newontz).  

23 hours ago, smr-nj said:

As a sidenote, I went shopping today just to pick up a few things at a local big grocery store. The toilet paper aisle had nothing on the shelves. Not even a single roll. What the hell? Is this crap starting over again? (No pun intended) Are the hoarders back with a passion??

Just so ridiculous 

Bidet All Day.    I go through about 20% of the amount of toilet paper I used to.   I mainly use it to pat dry now.