Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

On 10/8/2021 at 11:25 AM, gehringer_2 said:

There are now 26 counties in MI with infection rates higher than 50/100K. We aren't very good at this.

This is a very 'ewsieg' comment of you to make.   Do you not realize that Trump and the MI GOP is the reason why MI has a high infection rate.  Every stat in the last 18 months that has shown low infection rate, is because Whitmer's policies.  Any time it increases, it's Trump and the GOP's fault, you should stop posting any data that could question that as Trump is no longer in power.

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

This is a very 'ewsieg' comment of you to make.   Do you not realize that Trump and the MI GOP is the reason why MI has a high infection rate.  Every stat in the last 18 months that has shown low infection rate, is because Whitmer's policies.  Any time it increases, it's Trump and the GOP's fault, you should stop posting any data that could question that as Trump is no longer in power.

LOL - but look at the map of where the terrible case rates in MI are - it maps the GOP voting areas, so the Trump/GOP angle is implicit anyway - it's all cooked in at this point.   🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, Archie said:

Michigan is off kilter with the rest of the country. When the country is in a spike, Michigan is doing good.  Now it's the opposite.

Not really, Great Lake states and the Northeast have gone up roughly the same time since this started.  There definitely is something based on weather (IMO), we just don't understand it yet.  Right now, Michigan does appear to be a going up while others in the above regions were going up too, but appear to have plateaued.  

https://www.ajpmonline.org/article/S0749-3797(21)00506-7/fulltext

Interesting findings.  High enough percentage to make it clear that good governance matters, but IMO, somewhat backs up what I've said in terms of simply putting everything at the feet of Trump.  This was going to suck regardless of who was president.  

I will say, I do tend to be wary a bit at their conclusion.

Public health measures were stricter in the Democrat-led states, and stricter public health measures were associated with a slower growth of COVID-19 cases. The apparent politicization of public health measures suggests that public health decision making by health professionals rather than political incumbents could be beneficial.

I don't necessarily want health officials making public health decisions, just as I don't want Generals making all decisions related to defense, bankers making all decisions related to the Fed...etc.  

Piggybacking a response I just made in the Biden thread about Trump though, if Trump defers the handling of Covid to Fauci.  Let's Fauci be the face of that, and says he's going to continue to focus on the Economy and try to keep that as strong as possible, it's clear we're at least 8% better in terms of Covid numbers and likely have next to nothing in terms of deaths since the beginning of summer.  

I’ll grant COVID was going to suck no matter who was president, but it wasn’t going to suck at the same level as when Trump was president, throwing every obstacle he could at people trying to get it under control, especially in the early days.

I would like well-qualified health officials, like Dr Fauci, making public health decisions. Call me crazy.

The president treated a health crisis as if it were a financial crisis without realizing the financial piece would never resolve itself until the health piece did. His idiocy with conspiracy theories and not using his bully pulpit to reign in the crackpots killed people and made a whole lot more sicker. 

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

MI cases still creeping inexorably upward 3.4K/day over the weekend. Good news was 250K vax's last week. Best week since August. But case rates mid state are just ridiculous - 50/100K to pushing 100/100K in Ogemaw.

Is the 250k new vax or total of all?  I don't know how they figure it but the Pfizer boosters might be included and helping to drive up the number.