Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

1 hour ago, buddha said:

would you continue all covid restrictions (mask wearing, restricted international travel, quarantining if you get sick or are in the same proximity as a sick person, 3 (or 6?) foot social distancing, etc) until there are no more covid cases in america?

I don't ever plan to stop social distancing. I'm enjoying it. 

1 minute ago, buddha said:

which ones?

The ones I work with.   On the days I go into the office I have to wear a mask all day, and not a cloth one, a surgical one.  They are itchy, they are annoying, they make things a lot warmer than a cloth mask, but hey, that's the rule, I work for a hospital (in the office building, not directly in contact with patients), so I don't think they are just throwing it out there willy nilly.   And we no longer have unvaccinated employees, the 400 or so that refused are no longer employed.  Their choice, tough luck, good luck in future endeavors.    We have over 40,000 employees, I think it was less than 10 doctors that refused to get vaccinated (who weren't disqualified for health reasons).   I'll trust the thousands of doctors who did.    They're the experts. 

I don't like wearing masks, but when I got to a place that has a lot of people, I will wear one.  When I go to a store I'm not required to wear a mask, but I wear one.  I'm not worried about getting sick, but I don't want to get someone else sick because I can still carry the virus, even though I've already had my booster at this point.  I went about a week without wearing a mask in that situation but after talking to a friend who survived cancer, I decided to do it again.    

I've been to a few concerts, but I haven't been to any sporting events.  I haven't missed that much, it's so damned expensive just to show up to a game anymore.  Watching the crowd at the Wings game made me miss it a bit, but not going probably saved me $300, so I am fine.    I don't know about these lockdowns you seem to be referencing,  where are they?   We don't seem to be headed for more of them.   It's just now we have to make some adjustments between that and what life was like before that.   I'm willing.    My life is mostly back to normal and because someone at my second job decided not to get the shot (not a right-winger, just silly hippie mentality), I am actually picking up more work and benefiting financially.  I wish them good luck burning sage or whatever the f*ck they think will fend this shi* off.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, buddha said:

what's the end game in all this?  when do restrictions end?  when there is zero covid?  is there a number that would warrant mask removal in public spaces?  or opening society back up?

has the cdc said anything about that?  

I'd take 5 cases per 100K as a good marker for when it's appropriate to relax.

10 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The ones I work with.   On the days I go into the office I have to wear a mask all day, and not a cloth one, a surgical one.  They are itchy, they are annoying, they make things a lot warmer than a cloth mask, but hey, that's the rule, I work for a hospital (in the office building, not directly in contact with patients), so I don't think they are just throwing it out there willy nilly.   And we no longer have unvaccinated employees, the 400 or so that refused are no longer employed.  Their choice, tough luck, good luck in future endeavors.    We have over 40,000 employees, I think it was less than 10 doctors that refused to get vaccinated (who weren't disqualified for health reasons).   I'll trust the thousands of doctors who did.    They're the experts. 

I don't like wearing masks, but when I got to a place that has a lot of people, I will wear one.  When I go to a store I'm not required to wear a mask, but I wear one.  I'm not worried about getting sick, but I don't want to get someone else sick because I can still carry the virus, even though I've already had my booster at this point.  I went about a week without wearing a mask in that situation but after talking to a friend who survived cancer, I decided to do it again.    

I've been to a few concerts, but I haven't been to any sporting events.  I haven't missed that much, it's so damned expensive just to show up to a game anymore.  Watching the crowd at the Wings game made me miss it a bit, but not going probably saved me $300, so I am fine.    I don't know about these lockdowns you seem to be referencing,  where are they?   We don't seem to be headed for more of them.   It's just now we have to make some adjustments between that and what life was like before that.   I'm willing.    My life is mostly back to normal and because someone at my second job decided not to get the shot (not a right-winger, just silly hippie mentality), I am actually picking up more work and benefiting financially.  I wish them good luck burning sage or whatever the f*ck they think will fend this shi* off.  

you dont remember the lockdown?

i only mentioned a lockdown to make a joke following mb's joke.  lockdowns are no longer necessary.

there is no reason you shouldnt go to a sporting event if you wanted to.  you'll be fine.  being in a very crowded bar with a bunch of people breathing on you?  that might make you nervous.  other than that you'll be ok.

1 minute ago, buddha said:

you dont remember the lockdown?

i only mentioned a lockdown to make a joke following mb's joke.  lockdowns are no longer necessary.

there is no reason you shouldnt go to a sporting event if you wanted to.  you'll be fine.  being in a very crowded bar with a bunch of people breathing on you?  that might make you nervous.  other than that you'll be ok.

I didnt like being in a crowded bar before this happened, so things are peachy for me. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I didnt like being in a crowded bar before this happened, so things are peachy for me. 

It's amazing that in my 20s I was fine with it and I can't stand cigarette smoke and would come home, side door, take all the cloths off, throw them right down the stairs into a bin in the basement and go right to the shower, wash my hair, and then go to bed so my pillow wouldn't smell.  That's like a whole different lifetime, man.   

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

It's amazing that in my 20s I was fine with it and I can't stand cigarette smoke and would come home, side door, take all the cloths off, throw them right down the stairs into a bin in the basement and go right to the shower, wash my hair, and then go to bed so my pillow wouldn't smell.  That's like a whole different lifetime, man.   

Between that and smoke field studios, cars, etc…throw in asbestos exposure from older homes..it’s a wonder we all don’t come down with ILD

Edited by CMRivdogs

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

Between that and smoke field studios, cars, etc…throw in asbestos exposure from older homes..it’s a wonder we all don’t come down with ILD

Every radio station I've worked at smoking was banned in the studios.  Rock & Alternative rock stations with a lot of smokers too.  Pretty rare in the 80s/90s.   It's a nightmare on cart machine and reel to real tape deck heads.     Only one instance of someone who ignored the rule and they got suspended.       My parents were both smokers (and both later quit) and I couldn't stand it as a kid, there was no way I was ever going to do it.  My dad died from asbestos-related cancer.  Probably got exposed 40 years before the symptoms showed, that's just crazy.      

Edited by Motor City Sonics

When it comes to masks I’m getting to the point where I will go with the flow. At the hockey game we had ours but didn’t wear them. We went to Henry Ford Museum this morning and had them but it was nearly empty and nobody but staff had them on. As we started to leave we noticed more people with them on in the long hallway so I put mine on. Dropped wife at target and after a few minutes I went in and out mine on.   Went to a wedding tonight in a giant tent. Not one mask.  

big test will be next month going to a concert at the magestic. They are requiring proof of vaccination. I’ll just go with the flow.  

15 hours ago, oblong said:

When it comes to masks I’m getting to the point where I will go with the flow. At the hockey game we had ours but didn’t wear them. We went to Henry Ford Museum this morning and had them but it was nearly empty and nobody but staff had them on. As we started to leave we noticed more people with them on in the long hallway so I put mine on. Dropped wife at target and after a few minutes I went in and out mine on.   Went to a wedding tonight in a giant tent. Not one mask.  

big test will be next month going to a concert at the magestic. They are requiring proof of vaccination. I’ll just go with the flow.  

Be mentally prepared to be required to wear a mask even with the requirement everyone be vaccinated. I went to a play last month where that was the case.

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

vaccination rate on campus is 97%, we are all still masked indoors.

I can see requiring masks when there are some people in the building known to not having been vaccinated, but I can’t understand requiring the wearing of masks when literally everyone in the building is vaccinated. It makes no logical sense to me. Either the building stewards are indemnifying themselves for legal and insurance purposes, or they don’t believe what people are offering up as proof of vaccination, at which point, why bother even asking because it’s theater at that point.

Edited by chasfh

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Be mentally prepared to be required to wear a mask even with the requirement everyone be vaccinated. I went to a play last month where that was the case.

I have absolutely no problem wearing one if asked or required. None.  At the hockey game we were pretty much walking around or sitting in our seats, nobody really around us. I had a beer so I wasn’t going to put it on and take it off all the time.  My point was I guess it’s more of a peer pressure thing. If nobody else is going to wear them then I won’t. 

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

I can see requiring masks when there are some people in the building known to not having been vaccinated, but I can’t understand requiring the wearing of masks when literally everyone in the building is vaccinated. It makes no logical sense to me. Either the building stewards are indemnifying themselves for legal and insurance purposes, or they don’t believe what people are offering up as proof of vaccination, at which point, why bother even asking because it’s theater at that point.

It's a higher standard. It's not just about unlikeliness of major illness, it's because students who turn positive still have to quarantine and that puts them out of the classroom and that is enough to create unacceptable dislocation.