Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

49 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

No, but most of those other states were already spiking so they didn't have much of an uptick, while we WERE doing well, and then school started.    The timing does point to that.   That is the most conventional reason for mass gatherings.   

FWIW the infection rate among UM students is 1/3 the background rate in Washtenaw county. Granted that's just one piece compared to the total including EL-HI. And mask discipline here is 100%.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

FWIW the infection rate among UM students is 1/3 the background rate in Washtenaw county. Granted that's just one piece compared to the total including EL-HI. And mask discipline here is 100%.

I'm talking more about high schools across the state.   Outside the tri county area it's much more anti-vaccine and anti-mask.  

On 10/12/2021 at 7:31 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

No, but most of those other states were already spiking so they didn't have much of an uptick, while we WERE doing well, and then school started.    The timing does point to that.   That is the most conventional reason for mass gatherings.   

chicago didnt spike or see any increase once schools opened.

45 minutes ago, buddha said:

chicago didnt spike or see any increase once schools opened.

Hey, it was just speculation on my part.  The timing would seem to indicate that people started gathering at a higher rate in the last few weeks.   I am sure that a lot of schools started their year enforcing mask policy and then dropped their guard, got lax.    My girlfriend is a teacher and she's noticed that.   My friend's wife said her school has gotten beaten down by the more obnoxious parents and just worn out trying to enforce just about anything.   The kids gather, they take it home with them and it spreads.  Outside of cities, in more Republican-leaning areas they are still reluctant to mask up and the vaccine rate is lower.     I can't speak to what goes on in Chicago schools or anywhere else, it might be the way they report and release their stats, but there is evidence that schools could be driving this new spike.     A lot of other state start school in early or mid August.  They might have had this happen a month ago.   

https://www.clickondetroit.com/health/good-health/2021/10/14/107-michigan-covid-facts-delta-surging-rapidly-masks-in-school-starting-winter-worse-than-last-year/

Here are some highlights of the article. 
  • There were 393 outbreaks and clusters in K-12 schools over this time period.

School cases and mask policies

• K-12 schools reported the greatest number of new outbreaks and clusters (81) this week.
  • There were an additional 11 new outbreaks in childcare and youth programs, for a total of 92 outbreaks in settings primarily with 0-19-year-olds.
  • These school/child program outbreaks account for 57% of all known new outbreaks in Michigan.
  • State officials said 7% of school districts (36 total) have rescinded their mask policies.
  • 42% (222 out of 533) of K-12 school districts in Michigan have mandatory mask policies.
  • School districts with mandatory mask policies cover 60% (748,181 out of 1,252,808) of K-12 students.
  • 7% of K-12 school districts (36 total) have rescinded mask policies.
  • Districts without mask requirements are experiencing higher case rates.
  • The 5- to 18-year-old school population case rates are higher and rose faster in districts without mask requirements.
  • Districts with complete or partial mask requirements have lower COVID case rates and slower increases in those rates.
  • Districts with mask rules might also have other prevention measures that can contribute to lower transmission levels.

COVID cases in children

• Each day in Michigan, more than 425 children under age 12 become infected with COVID-19.
  • On average, there are 50 more children getting infected per day in Michigan than last week
  • Pediatric case rates are up to 305.6 cases per million. Last week, that number was 269.4 cases per million.
  • The pediatric hospital census* is averaging approximately 34 per day (last week: 30 per day)
  • Case increases in Michigan are largest in school-aged children (5-18 years old).
  • School-aged children saw a rapid rise in COVID cases beginning over the school reopening period, and that trend has remained high following their return to school.

Outbreaks

• Officials identified 161 new outbreaks in the past week.
  • The increase in outbreaks since last week (364 to 393) includes increases in high schools (123 to 133), middle schools (89 to 92), and pre-K/elementary schools (146 to 164).
  • Outbreaks among school administration declined (from five to four outbreaks).
  • The greatest number of new outbreaks after schools was among long-term care/skilled nursing facilities, with 30.
  • There were seven new outbreaks in manufacturing/construction settings.
  • There were six new outbreaks in retail settings.
  • Eight other types of settings had at least one new outbreak in the last week, Michigan officials said.
  • The total number of active outbreaks is up 6% from last week.

Cases by age group

• 31-50-year-olds are beginning to increase to the highest age group after school children.
  • Previous COVID surges had larger proportions of cases found in adults.
  • 10-19-years-olds are experiencing the greatest case burden, at 596 daily cases and 474.8 cases per million per day.
  • After 10-19-year-olds, the highest case rates, in order, are in these age groups: 30-39, 40-49, 20-29, and 0-9.

6 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Hey, it was just speculation on my part.  The timing would seem to indicate that people started gathering at a higher rate in the last few weeks.   I am sure that a lot of schools started their year enforcing mask policy and then dropped their guard, got lax.    My girlfriend is a teacher and she's noticed that.   My friend's wife said her school has gotten beaten down by the more obnoxious parents and just worn out trying to enforce just about anything.   The kids gather, they take it home with them and it spreads.  Outside of cities, in more Republican-leaning areas they are still reluctant to mask up and the vaccine rate is lower.     I can't speak to what goes on in Chicago schools or anywhere else, it might be the way they report and release their stats, but there is evidence that schools could be driving this new spike.     A lot of other state start school in early or mid August.  They might have had this happen a month ago.   

https://www.clickondetroit.com/health/good-health/2021/10/14/107-michigan-covid-facts-delta-surging-rapidly-masks-in-school-starting-winter-worse-than-last-year/

Here are some highlights of the article. 
  • There were 393 outbreaks and clusters in K-12 schools over this time period.

School cases and mask policies

• K-12 schools reported the greatest number of new outbreaks and clusters (81) this week.
  • There were an additional 11 new outbreaks in childcare and youth programs, for a total of 92 outbreaks in settings primarily with 0-19-year-olds.
  • These school/child program outbreaks account for 57% of all known new outbreaks in Michigan.
  • State officials said 7% of school districts (36 total) have rescinded their mask policies.
  • 42% (222 out of 533) of K-12 school districts in Michigan have mandatory mask policies.
  • School districts with mandatory mask policies cover 60% (748,181 out of 1,252,808) of K-12 students.
  • 7% of K-12 school districts (36 total) have rescinded mask policies.
  • Districts without mask requirements are experiencing higher case rates.
  • The 5- to 18-year-old school population case rates are higher and rose faster in districts without mask requirements.
  • Districts with complete or partial mask requirements have lower COVID case rates and slower increases in those rates.
  • Districts with mask rules might also have other prevention measures that can contribute to lower transmission levels.

COVID cases in children

• Each day in Michigan, more than 425 children under age 12 become infected with COVID-19.
  • On average, there are 50 more children getting infected per day in Michigan than last week
  • Pediatric case rates are up to 305.6 cases per million. Last week, that number was 269.4 cases per million.
  • The pediatric hospital census* is averaging approximately 34 per day (last week: 30 per day)
  • Case increases in Michigan are largest in school-aged children (5-18 years old).
  • School-aged children saw a rapid rise in COVID cases beginning over the school reopening period, and that trend has remained high following their return to school.

Outbreaks

• Officials identified 161 new outbreaks in the past week.
  • The increase in outbreaks since last week (364 to 393) includes increases in high schools (123 to 133), middle schools (89 to 92), and pre-K/elementary schools (146 to 164).
  • Outbreaks among school administration declined (from five to four outbreaks).
  • The greatest number of new outbreaks after schools was among long-term care/skilled nursing facilities, with 30.
  • There were seven new outbreaks in manufacturing/construction settings.
  • There were six new outbreaks in retail settings.
  • Eight other types of settings had at least one new outbreak in the last week, Michigan officials said.
  • The total number of active outbreaks is up 6% from last week.

Cases by age group

• 31-50-year-olds are beginning to increase to the highest age group after school children.
  • Previous COVID surges had larger proportions of cases found in adults.
  • 10-19-years-olds are experiencing the greatest case burden, at 596 daily cases and 474.8 cases per million per day.
  • After 10-19-year-olds, the highest case rates, in order, are in these age groups: 30-39, 40-49, 20-29, and 0-9.

what should we do, mcs?  close all the schools?  covid has little effect on a vast, vast majority of school age children.  

1 minute ago, buddha said:

what should we do, mcs?  close all the schools?  covid has little effect on a vast, vast majority of school age children.  

I'm not saying that at all.  I'm just saying this latest spike is being driven by school being back in session and kids gathering and many of them not adhering to mask policies or districts simply not having them.    And covid may have little effect on kids, but kids bring it home.  

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I'm not saying that at all.  I'm just saying this latest spike is being driven by school being back in session and kids gathering and many of them not adhering to mask policies or districts simply not having them.    And covid may have little effect on kids, but kids bring it home.  

is there a big increase in cases from kids bringing covid home?

the increase in cases in michigan seems to be following the pattern of covid, which is that michigan for some reason gets hit first.  

like i said, chicago schools are all open and there hasnt been a precipitous rise in cases.  in fact, there hasnt been an increase at all (to the disappointment of our teacher's union).  will that hold through the winter?  i dont know.  its a contagious virus, there is a pretty good likelihood that people in the northern part of the country will get sick come cold/flu season.

a lot of people have been vaccinated which seems to cut the transmission and strength if symptoms down.  that may work to decrease hospitalizations next time (if there is a next time).

21 minutes ago, buddha said:

what's the end game in all this?  when do restrictions end?  when there is zero covid?  is there a number that would warrant mask removal in public spaces?  or opening society back up?

has the cdc said anything about that?  

Well, there may not be an end to this.   If enough people refuse to protect themselves or others around them this will continue.  COVID is here for good.   We are nowhere near herd immunity and so it will continue.     Polio still exists but we vaccinated enough people worldwide to limit the spread.    

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Well, there may not be an end to this.   If enough people refuse to protect themselves or others around them this will continue.  COVID is here for good.   We are nowhere near herd immunity and so it will continue.     Polio still exists but we vaccinated enough people worldwide to limit the spread.    

would you continue all covid restrictions (mask wearing, restricted international travel, quarantining if you get sick or are in the same proximity as a sick person, 3 (or 6?) foot social distancing, etc) until there are no more covid cases in america?

2 hours ago, buddha said:

what's the end game in all this?  when do restrictions end?  when there is zero covid?  is there a number that would warrant mask removal in public spaces?  or opening society back up?

has the cdc said anything about that?  

I think we are in the endgame.  I’m not sure any restrictions in place now are really hurting anything other than international travel.  

1 minute ago, oblong said:

I think we are in the endgame.  I’m not sure any restrictions in place now are really hurting anything other than international travel.  

maybe, but i hope the end game doesnt entail everyone being required to wear a mask indoors.  especially kids.  its overkill, imo.