Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

4 hours ago, smr-nj said:

Those of you here who recently have been sick with Covid - was this so recently that the most current vaccine wasn’t yet available (or just didn’t get it yet), or you got the vaccine and unfortunately contracted it and a bad case of it.

Also, we’re any of you repeat sufferers of it?

I am just curious.  I got my latest shot last week, so it’ll probably be about another week til it’s taken hold.  Will also note that, to my knowledge,  I haven’t yet had it… or at the very least, not knowingly (haven’t been sick).

Original doses: March 2021

First booster: October 2021

Second booster: May 2022

Only known positive case: late August 2022

Bivalent Booster: November 2022

Newest shot: September 2023

I have been around people who tested positive around the time I was around them and the vaccines have stood tall.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MIguy said:

My most recent booster was October 11th and I tested positive on October 19th.  Not sure my body even had a chance to build up new antibodies in that time.   

I believe they say it takes at least a couple weeks to build the antibodies 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ha ha....

I got my latest covid booster on Friday, if you care.   I can't remember if that's my 4th or 5th shot.  Definitely remember getting the initial 2, then I got another one at Walgreen's like a year ago.  I think there was another one in there.  Need to dig out my vaccination card.  Remember those???

On 10/20/2023 at 4:16 PM, Edman85 said:

I have been around people who tested positive around the time I was around them and the vaccines have stood tall.

First and only shots 5/19/21 and 6/11/21

Got Covid January 2023 (only time and I'm the only one in my house who got it).

Haven't had a booster. At three different times in the last two years there has been a covid positive person in my home (recently a month ago) and I did not get it either time. 

So yeah.

27 minutes ago, oblong said:

Ha ha....

I got my latest covid booster on Friday, if you care.   I can't remember if that's my 4th or 5th shot.  Definitely remember getting the initial 2, then I got another one at Walgreen's like a year ago.  I think there was another one in there.  Need to dig out my vaccination card.  Remember those???

I still have my card.

3/1/21, 3/22/21, 10/26/21, 5/26/22, 11/3/22, 9/22/23

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hate to bring back the term covidiot, but I will...

The victory lap they are taking in light of the updated CDC guidance is definitely something. No, they weren't right all along. Our immunity has strengthened, and the virus has evolved to become weaker.

16 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I hate to bring back the term covidiot, but I will...

The victory lap they are taking in light of the updated CDC guidance is definitely something. No, they weren't right all along. Our immunity has strengthened, and the virus has evolved to become weaker.

I hate that the CDC did this but Jah was very clear in saying exactly what you said as the reason why they did it

It reminds me of Norm MacDonald's joke about cancer. You don't beat cancer or lose your battle with cancer. At worst it is a tie.

As with COVID, the strong mutations of the virus died with the people it killed, or their symptoms were so severe they quarantined. As it evolved, the minor variants that are out there, that people may be more likely to spread by being out in public, effectively act as vaccines.

18 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

It reminds me of Norm MacDonald's joke about cancer. You don't beat cancer or lose your battle with cancer. At worst it is a tie.

As with COVID, the strong mutations of the virus died with the people it killed, or their symptoms were so severe they quarantined. As it evolved, the minor variants that are out there, that people may be more likely to spread by being out in public, effectively act as vaccines.

It was always one possible outcome but since no-one knew the virus would attenuate by itself, there was no point talking about it. But it's always been true that a vaccine is only one way to reach herd immunity, the other is that everyone just catches the mild version!