Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

I’ll get the Covid booster probably within the next two or three weeks. (*btw, I’ve not had Covid yet - I think. Haven’t had an antibody test)
I’ll get my flu shot near the end of October.

The other shot my doctor recommended I get is the only one I’m worried about (because I’ve heard people have kind a bad time with the 2 shots needed) is the shingles vaccine.

A friend of mine got a particularly awful case of shingles about a year and a half ago, and that is the only reason I’m probably going to bite the bullet and get that particular vaccine because that was one of the worst things I’ve ever seen someone endure - she was in total agony for quite some time.  Absolutely awful.

39 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

I’ll get the Covid booster probably within the next two or three weeks. (*btw, I’ve not had Covid yet - I think. Haven’t had an antibody test)
I’ll get my flu shot near the end of October.

The other shot my doctor recommended I get is the only one I’m worried about (because I’ve heard people have kind a bad time with the 2 shots needed) is the shingles vaccine.

A friend of mine got a particularly awful case of shingles about a year and a half ago, and that is the only reason I’m probably going to bite the bullet and get that particular vaccine because that was one of the worst things I’ve ever seen someone endure - she was in total agony for quite some time.  Absolutely awful.

My dad got shingles shot and covid booster around the same time a couple years ago and was a zombie at Thanksgiving. I may recommend spacing those two out if you can just based on that.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hongbit said:

I’ve always been a 100% Covid believer.  I followed all the rules and didn’t think twice about getting vaxxed multiple times in the past.    

Right now, I don’t see a reason to run out and get myself an updated booster.  I don’t see any strains out there that seem dangerous.  I am more concerned with a bad flu bug.   

For me, I might have an underlying condition (prediabeetus) that could make me vulnerable. Current strains are weak, but who knows if a stronger one comes? People are still getting hit with long covid and this reduces the chance. Plus the inconvenience factor. If this even reduces my chance of catching covid by 20%, that is 20% less likely that I will have my schedule disrupted one week.

• Thanks 1

The vaccine was never meant as something to wholly prevent you from getting Covid, but if contracted, mitigate the effects for you. In other words, you might get sick, but your chances of landing in the hospital (or, in the early days, DYING) would be reduced.  

I’ll never understand why some people want to call the Covid vaccine development & suggested administration of it a hoax because “you still get Covid.”

Very frustrating.

8 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

People just aren't good at math. They think all fractions above zero are the same. They also don't understand exponentials and the role that plays in viruses spreading. (Or time value of money, but that is a separate issue)

True, but you don't even have to be that good at math.  You really just need an intuitive understanding and too many people don't have that.  

46 minutes ago, MIguy said:

I did the shingles vaccines a couple years ago and didn't have any problems with either dose.  

Seems a lot of variation in how people react to Shringrix, both in terms of how much discomfort you have at the injection site and in how much general reaction you have. I don't remember reacting to the 1st dose at all. The 2nd one I felt pretty lousy the 2nd day. Various friends have had reactions all over the map. But I don't know anyone who's had shingles who didn't describe it as totally horrible.

34 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Seems a lot of variation in how people react to Shringrix, both in terms of how much discomfort you have at the injection site and in how much general reaction you have. I don't remember reacting to the 1st dose at all. The 2nd one I felt pretty lousy the 2nd day. Various friends have had reactions all over the map. But I don't know anyone who's had shingles who didn't describe it as totally horrible.

I just looked at my vaccination record and it jogged my memory that I got my first dose at the same time as my flu shot.  Made the mistake of getting one in each arm and had a hell of a time sleeping that night.  So yes, I did have at least one side effect, a sore arm for a day or two. 

I get my updated COVID vax at the end of next week along with the flu vax. I'm currently dating someone who's at extra risk for complications from COVID, so I'm only too happy to make damn sure I don't get it. I've also gone back to masking up in stores and such, just for whatever (probably small) bit of extra protection.

the single reason I'm looking forward to turning 50 later this year is getting a shingles vaccine. damn do I love vaccines.

• Haha 1

I am definitely spacing out my flu shot and COVID booster at least a week apart.

I went into the shingles vaccine ignorant of the possible effects, and I got no warning from the tech at the pharmacy. First shot was uneventful. Second shot I assumed would be as well. I went for a long bike ride almost right after. About ten miles into it I thought i was gonna collapse. I still don’t know how I managed to make it home without doing so.

11 hours ago, Crazy Cat Gentleman said:

I get my updated COVID vax at the end of next week along with the flu vax. I'm currently dating someone who's at extra risk for complications from COVID, so I'm only too happy to make damn sure I don't get it. I've also gone back to masking up in stores and such, just for whatever (probably small) bit of extra protection.

the single reason I'm looking forward to turning 50 later this year is getting a shingles vaccine. damn do I love vaccines.

I turn 50 in a few weeks and I'm wondering if my doctor will mention it next week.

19 hours ago, Crazy Cat Gentleman said:

You look way younger than 50.

• Haha 1

I got the updated COVID and Flu shots simultaneously Friday. No issues getting it in Florida. I probably shouldn't have drank as much as I did Friday night because Saturday morning was rough.

I forgot to do shoulder press exercises the day before that I normally do, which helps reduce the arm pain because the deltoids are in regeneration mode. I still have some arm pain this time. 60 hours later.

Edited by Edman85
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I got the updated COVID and Flu shots simultaneously Friday. No issues getting it in Florida. I probably shouldn't have drank as much as I did Friday night because Saturday morning was rough.

I forgot to do shoulder press exercises the day before that I normally do, which helps reduce the arm pain because the deltoids are in regeneration mode. I still have some arm pain this time. 60 hours later.

I'm just surprised you weren't immediately arrested for daring to get not one, but two, vaccinations in Florida.

the bonus is that the drug stores, Medicare and Moderna still haven't established a reimbursement schedule, so they told the wife that it may a while before the billing paperwork came through, and when it did it would list the date of her vax as sometime after the the pricing is fixed but the vax card registration date turned in will be correct....

What a country!

Edited by gehringer_2