Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

NPR: A political gap in excess deaths widened after COVID-19 vaccines arrived, study says

Excerpts from the article . . .

Republican voters in Florida and Ohio died at a higher rate than their counterparts, according to a new study.

Researchers from Yale University who studied the pandemic's effects on those two states say that from the pandemic's start in March 2020 through December 2021, "excess mortality was significantly higher for Republican voters than Democratic voters after COVID-19 vaccines were available to all adults, but not before."

Researchers saw a divide suddenly emerge
As they calculated excess death rate data for Florida and Ohio, the researchers found only small differences between Republican and Democratic voters in the first year of the pandemic, with both groups suffering similarly sharp rises in excess deaths that winter.

Things changed as the summer of 2021 approached. When coronavirus vaccine access widened, so did the excess death gap. In the researchers' adjusted analysis of the period after April 1, 2021, they calculated Democratic voters' excess death rate at 18.1, and Republicans' at 25.8 — a 7.7 percentage-point difference equating to a 43% gap.

After the gap was established in the summer of 2021, it widened further in the fall, according to the study's authors.

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

What are the chances the red hats will point to this as evidence that the mainstream media is complicit in killing Republicans by encouraging vaccine use, knowing full well Republicans would reject it precisely because the mainstream media encouraged it? I think we've seen that movie already, yes?

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

What are the chances the red hats will point to this as evidence that the mainstream media is complicit in killing Republicans by encouraging vaccine use, knowing full well Republicans would reject it precisely because the mainstream media encouraged it? I think we've seen that movie already, yes?

They did take the vaccine, but the vaccine was designed by Fauci and Gates to harm Republicans.   

This goes well with Tater's post

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/22/us/politics/ron-desantis-covid.html

Once a vaccine advocate, the Florida governor lost his enthusiasm for the shot before the Delta wave sent Covid hospitalizations and deaths soaring. It’s a grim chapter he now leaves out of his rosy retelling of his pandemic response.

While Florida was an early leader in the share of over-65 residents who were vaccinated, it had fallen to the middle of the pack by the end of July 2021. When it came to younger residents, Florida lagged behind the national average in every age group.

That left the state particularly vulnerable when the Delta variant hit that month. Floridians died at a higher rate, adjusted for age, than residents of almost any other state during the Delta wave, according to the Times analysis. With less than 7 percent of the nation’s population, Florida accounted for 14 percent of deaths between the start of July and the end of October.

Never let them forget what they said...?

Man, I have a LOOOOONG list of contemptible statements by Fascist ****ing Republicans, by any of the Scumbag Trump's (not just one), by Benedict Arnold MAGA, by White Trash Bigots, by 50 years of in-your-face lies by Republicans...

This thread would be dominated by a huge series of posts/ reprehensible quotes from right wing scumbags...

It would turn into a 1,200 page novel...

And that's just the first one out of a series of tomes.

13 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

Why would any of us give a **** what Piers Morgan or Gene Simmons say?

because they listen to Scott Baio and Hercules and James Woods and Kirk Cameron and Ricky Schroeder so it stands to reason in their mind that D list celebrities matter in terms of public policy.

3 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Never let them forget what they said...?

Man, I have a LOOOOONG list of contemptible statements by Fascist ****ing Republicans, by any of the Scumbag Trump's (not just one), by Benedict Arnold MAGA, by White Trash Bigots, by 50 years of in-your-face lies by Republicans...

This thread would be dominated by a huge series of posts/ reprehensible quotes from right wing scumbags...

It would turn into a 1,200 page novel...

And that's just the first one out of a series of tomes.

I used to watch some guy's videos (Dusty Smith) called "Meet The Victims" where he'd show all their "COVID is fake"  "Vaccines are bad" posts and then talk about how those same people had died.   I think he was up to about 15 videos before he stopped

• 5 weeks later...

I don’t think I’ve ever known more people have it at once than I do right now. Me and my partner, her parents, and my dad (whom I haven’t seen or been in physical contact with in a few weeks) all have it right now. Just like a bad cold for me that has slowly weakened, but it’s hit the older folks a little harder. 

5 hours ago, oblong said:

I’m at the point where I am just treating it like a cold.  I know several who have had it recently but all said it was very minor and 5 years ago the “symptoms” wouldn’t have even registered on their radar. 

What are the emergency room experiences now?  Overcrowding, respirators?  What do nurses think?  

10 hours ago, oblong said:

I’m at the point where I am just treating it like a cold.  I know several who have had it recently but all said it was very minor and 5 years ago the “symptoms” wouldn’t have even registered on their radar. 

I know of a friend of a friend, unvaxxed, who was hospitalized last month with it. The friend caught it from the unvaxxed person and was fine in a couple of days.

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

I know of a friend of a friend, unvaxxed, who was hospitalized last month with it. The friend caught it from the unvaxxed person and was fine in a couple of days.

I hope it changed their mind about being vaxxed.

Considering what we are seeing now I think a wave is going through and a lot of us are getting it without knowing.    Data is pretty clear and I am not worrying about the unvaxxed anymore.  They know the drill.  If I get to the point where I'm coughing and sneezing then I just stay home.