Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

According to one study. Not doubting it, but beware the publication bias endemic to studies that may stray from the common knowledge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My healthy, athletic daughter got covid during the initial waves (March 2020). Long covid has majorly degraded her health. Her experience with doctors (which hopefully is/has changed) was to dismiss the symptoms she had being covid related. I hope at some point there will be more studies, and effective treatments and she can regain much of what she lost. 

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, Dan Gilmore said:

My healthy, athletic daughter got covid during the initial waves (March 2020). Long covid has majorly degraded her health. Her experience with doctors (which hopefully is/has changed) was to dismiss the symptoms she had being covid related. I hope at some point there will be more studies, and effective treatments and she can regain much of what she lost. 

That sucks man hope you guys get some answers.

To a much lesser side effect. I lost my sense of smell my first bout with covid. It has never fully recovered, some days I pick up on things better than others.

1 hour ago, VegasTiger said:

Flu and Covid booster today. Nothing so far.

oh, man, I did that Friday and got my ass kicked starting about 6-8 hours afterwards and finally feeling normalish about 24 hours after that.

I usually don't have a reaction to flu shots, but maybe the extra immune load was too much. or maybe the Moderna vax just beat the **** out of me all on its own.

4 hours ago, Crazy Cat Gentleman said:

oh, man, I did that Friday and got my ass kicked starting about 6-8 hours afterwards and finally feeling normalish about 24 hours after that.

I usually don't have a reaction to flu shots, but maybe the extra immune load was too much. or maybe the Moderna vax just beat the **** out of me all on its own.

Yeah, your face has a weary look, I can see that you are a little under the weather.  Hang in there, you will be radiating optimism again in a few days.

Tested positive for it awhile back, months ago.  but I think it was a flawed test

I have it now.  Do I ever

Sunday evening - walked Lucy the wonder dog.  When I came in I was sweating.  It was a warm evening, but it seemed a little odd.  Felt Fine

Monday morning.  Felt sluggish.  Scratchy throat.   Took the test.  Negative.   Went to work (I get colds every year this time of year).   Throughout the day I kept feeling worse, so I avoided everyone and went home.       

Tuesday morning - Holy hell I felt horrible.  Incredible headache, neckache, sweats/shivers, cough.  My mom lives close, had her drop off a couple of tests.  Both positive.   Laid in bed and just moaned like Billy Crystal in When Harry Met Sally.  Never had a temp over 98.3 (97.3 - 97.5 is my baseline).    Just laid in the recliner feeling sick.   

Wednesday morning - Woke up MUCH better than Tuesday (Tylenol helps).  Went to Urgent Care and they confirmed it.  Gave me a script for Paxlovid.    Couldn't get it delivered and wasn't about to go into a store, even with a mask and surgical gloves (I have boxes that were expired when I worked at the hospital, but are fine for household chores and dog doody pickup - they were going to throw them away).   I was able to continue doing my afternoon show from home (the miracles of modern technology).   A listener emailed me "You sound horrible,  why are you working?".    (Out of fear that if they get by without me for even two days I'll be fired or something, it's a mental thing).    Rested up,  scheduled station music through the weekend, watched some telly.  

Thursday  Mom picked up the script for me. Took it and it has the most bitter constant aftertaste of anything I've ever taken, so I decided to stop because I didn't need to pile that misery on top of the rest and I constantly had to be sucking on candy to defeat that taste.     Felt better but started getting all the phlegm.  Phlegm is an ugly word, isn't it?   Perfect.  Lots and lots and lots of ugly-ass phlegm.   

Then today.   I can not remember fatigue like this in my entire life.  I am freaking drained.    Been laying about like a lump of dirty clothes all day.   

Other than the absolute true misery of Tuesday morning, this hasn't felt much worse than a bad cold.  A very mild fever (if you can call 98.3 a fever) and the rest is a bad cold that won't go away with incredible fatigue.     Of course it's lasting longer than a cold and I am banished from work until Wednesday at the earliest, but will continue working from home.  If you want to hear what a sick person sounds like on the air 107.1 in Ann Arbor through about 6:50pm.    I'll be playin Jason Isbell, The Police, Theo Katzman, David Bowie, Amy Winehouse, Devon Gilfillian, Echo & The Bunnymen and the Talking Heads.  (annarbors107one.com).  Small staff - no backups and the whole 'they can't get by without me, can they?' thing

.  Then no more working for a few days and more laying around.   I sure hope this fatigue improves by tomorrow.    I sat in the recliner to watch only Murders In The Building.  I was on Season 1 Episode 4 and the next thing it was Season 2 Episode2

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Tested positive for it awhile back, months ago.  but I think it was a flawed test

Sunday evening - walked Lucy the wonder dog.  When I came in I was sweating.  It was a warm evening, but it seemed a little odd.  Felt Fine

Monday morning.  Felt sluggish.  Scratchy throat.   Took the test.  Negative.   Went to work (I get colds every year this time of year).   Throughout the day I kept feeling worse, so I avoided everyone and went home.       

Tuesday morning - Holy hell I felt horrible.  Incredible headache, neckache, sweats/shivers, cough.  My mom lives close, had her drop off a couple of tests.  Both positive.   Laid in bed and just moaned like Billy Crystal in When Harry Met Sally.  Never had a temp over 98.3 (97.3 - 97.5 is my baseline).    Just laid in the recliner feeling sick.   

Wednesday morning - Woke up MUCH better than Tuesday (Tylenol helps).  Went to Urgent Care and they confirmed it.  Gave me a script for Paxlovid.    Couldn't get it delivered and wasn't about to go into a store, even with a mask and surgical gloves (I have boxes that were expired when I worked at the hospital, but are fine for household chores and dog doody pickup - they were going to throw them away).   I was able to continue doing my afternoon show from home (the miracles of modern technology).   A listener emailed me "You sound horrible,  why are you working?".    (Out of fear that if they get by without me for even two days I'll be fired or something, it's a mental thing).    Rested up,  scheduled station music through the weekend, watched some telly.  

Thursday  Mom picked up the script for me. Took it and it has the most bitter constant aftertaste of anything I've ever taken, so I decided to stop because I didn't need to pile that misery on top of the rest and I constantly had to be sucking on candy to defeat that taste.     Felt better but started getting all the phlegm.  Phlegm is an ugly word, isn't it?   Perfect.  Lots and lots and lots of ugly-ass phlegm.   

Then today.   I can not remember fatigue like this in my entire life.  I am freaking drained.    Been laying about like a lump of dirty clothes all day.   

Other than the absolute true misery of Tuesday morning, this hasn't felt much worse than a bad cold.  A very mild fever (if you can call 98.3 a fever) and the rest is a bad cold that won't go away with incredible fatigue.     Of course it's lasting longer than a cold and I am banished from work until Wednesday at the earliest, but will continue working from home.  If you want to hear what a sick person sounds like on the air 107.1 in Ann Arbor through about 6:50pm.    I'll be playin Jason Isbell, The Police, Theo Katzman, David Bowie, Amy Winehouse, Devon Gilfillian, Echo & The Bunnymen and the Talking Heads.  (annarbors107one.com).  Small staff - no backups and the whole 'they can't get by without me, can they?' thing

.  Then no more working for a few days and more laying around.   I sure hope this fatigue improves by tomorrow.    I sat in the recliner to watch only Murders In The Building.  I was on Season 1 Episode 4 and the next thing it was Season 2 Episode2

Paxlovid immediately upon testing.  You will have a hangover day but then mend quickly

16 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

BTW, there is a wonderful Hunter-S-Thompson-eque feel to this narrative.

7 minutes ago, romad1 said:

BTW, there is a wonderful Hunter-S-Thompson-eque feel to this narrative.

"...........there's also a negative side"

Woke up feeling about 75% normal today an sinues are mostly clear.  I CAN BREATHE THROUGH MY NOSE AGAIN.   Energy still isn't there yet, but it's Saturday and it doesn't need to be.     The Tylenol has yet to kick in and that always makes me feel a couple notches better.      Still got that little bit of sweat on my back that you get when you're sick.  When that goes away I'll feel like it's over.   

46 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

"...........there's also a negative side"

Woke up feeling about 75% normal today an sinues are mostly clear.  I CAN BREATHE THROUGH MY NOSE AGAIN.   Energy still isn't there yet, but it's Saturday and it doesn't need to be.     The Tylenol has yet to kick in and that always makes me feel a couple notches better.      Still got that little bit of sweat on my back that you get when you're sick.  When that goes away I'll feel like it's over.   

"We were somewhere around Pymouth-Canton on the edge of the suburbs when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like "I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should drive...." And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us and the sky was full of what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car, which was going about a hundred miles an hour with the top down to Ann Arbor.”

Edited by romad1

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

"We were somewhere around Pymouth-Canton on the edge of the suburbs when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like "I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should drive...." And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us and the sky was full of what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car, which was going about a hundred miles an hour with the top down to Ann Arbor.”

You can't stop  here, this is Wolverine Country !

• Like 1

on my Paxlovid day I sat on my deck staring into space.  i looked at a nail stuck between two deck boards for the entire day thinking “i need to remove that”.  Then the next day i actually had the gumption to pick it up.  

Edited by romad1

8 hours ago, romad1 said:

on my Paxlovid day I sat on my deck staring into space.  i looked at a nail stuck between two deck boards for the entire day thinking “i need to remove that”.  Then the next day i actually had the gumption to pick it up.  

There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of a Paxlovid binge. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, MIguy said:

So much for making it through COVID unscathed.  Tested positive tonight and am currently sitting at the VA ER waiting for a Paxlovid prescription.  

do take the Paxlovid soonest.  Ride that bad first day out and you will be ok.  

• Like 1

Those of you here who recently have been sick with Covid - was this so recently that the most current vaccine wasn’t yet available (or just didn’t get it yet), or you got the vaccine and unfortunately contracted it and a bad case of it.

Also, we’re any of you repeat sufferers of it?

I am just curious.  I got my latest shot last week, so it’ll probably be about another week til it’s taken hold.  Will also note that, to my knowledge,  I haven’t yet had it… or at the very least, not knowingly (haven’t been sick).

My wife and I both came down last April (probably about out of your timeline). My wife caught it, we believe, while traveling back from Michigan. It was the Saturday that Spring Break travel started and DTW was a zoo. I caught it from her. We've both been vaccinated (4th time) since. 

I know the arguments about plane travel, but a lot of them don't take into account the airport terminals themselves, especially crowded TSA lines as well as the cattle call atmosphere on the jetway while boarding. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

My wife and I both came down last April (probably about out of your timeline). My wife caught it, we believe, while traveling back from Michigan. It was the Saturday that Spring Break travel started and DTW was a zoo. I caught it from her. We've both been vaccinated (4th time) since. 

I know the arguments about plane travel, but a lot of them don't take into account the airport terminals themselves, especially crowded TSA lines as well as the cattle call atmosphere on the jetway while boarding. 

The worst place and where i think I got it the first time was a CBP bag drag line at Dulles airport.