Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

23 hours ago, smr-nj said:

As a sidenote, I went shopping today just to pick up a few things at a local big grocery store. The toilet paper aisle had nothing on the shelves. Not even a single roll. What the hell? Is this crap starting over again? (No pun intended) Are the hoarders back with a passion??

Just so ridiculous 

I'm sorry, you can blame me for that. I've also started seeing more open shelf space in that aisle, so I picked up three extra big packages of Northerns last week. Also, three extra big packages of Viva paper towels. Better in my house than in a ship in the harbor.

7 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

He trusted people that lied to him and used his credibility to burnish their own, which they knew was not sufficient to sell their narrative. That's been pretty much the MO of republican leadership ever since - lie to people who trust you.

That's how I remember it.  It wasn't a moment of weakness...he didn't know it was bullshit.  He didn't find out until later that it the WMD "intel" was a complete fabrication.

3 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

That's how I remember it.  It wasn't a moment of weakness...he didn't know it was bullshit.  He didn't find out until later that it the WMD "intel" was a complete fabrication.

No...

I think he came out and straight out said that he should have judged it harder. I think he called it the biggest mistake of his career. I mean, obviously that.

Definitely he was lied to, misled, and pushed hard to get in line with the rest of the admin... Could even call it strong-armed... But his moment of weakness was that he didn't dig harder into the intel, which definitely had weaknesses, and question things harder that he knew his judgement was asking him to do.

Then he fell into line...

Maybe you wouldn't call it a moment of weakness... but I think he went against his better judgement, even though he was lied to/ misled/ strong-armed which... I think I'm OK with calling that a moment...

4 minutes ago, oblong said:

Powell could have won in ‘96.   Clinton was hurting someone like Powell would have risen above the Gingrich/Dole stench.  

The problem with that is that the Reform Party pulled in 8 mill votes in 1996. Mostly conservative Independents/ blue collar anti-trade voters... similar voters to who Trump pulled in 2016... I'm not certain how much Powell could have done against that. Even compared to Dole/ Gingrich...

15 minutes ago, oblong said:

Powell could have won in ‘96.   Clinton was hurting someone like Powell would have risen above the Gingrich/Dole stench.  

yeah - I also think it was his in a walk if he wanted it. I suppose he might have made some terrible faux pas discussing domestic policy but it just seems unlikely. But he didn't want it, and the truth is that if you don't at least want it, you probably won't be very good at it. Sure there are periods when a 'caretaker' like Eisenhower can be judged relatively successful, but if you don't have an agenda to do something positive that drives you to want the office, you probably won't accomplish much. One think is for certain, the GOP would be a different party if Powell had been its next president instead of "W." Even if GWB personally isn't part of what his party has become, his political fecklessness is what let the people who took it over do so.

27 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Powell declaring that he was pro choice and pro gun control may have made it hard to get the GOP nomination, even in 1996

could be. I was more Repub than Dem in those days and I don't remember people being enthused about Dole at all. He was viewed a bit like Biden was going into 2020. Now maybe that was a Michigan thing, where we had  a liberal GOP history to begin with (ie. Romney/Milliken/Griffin) and Dole's support was stronger elsewhere.

Edited by gehringer_2

9 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Powell declaring that he was pro choice and pro gun control may have made it hard to get the GOP nomination, even in 1996

That was the problem with Powell is that he wasn't a Conservative at all.  Fortunately for everyone, he finally admitted he was democrat.

23 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

He trusted people that lied to him and used his credibility to burnish their own, which they knew was not sufficient to sell their narrative. That's been pretty much the MO of republican leadership ever since - lie to people who trust you.

Well, in republican leadership’s defense, they lie only because they believe everything will work out just fine.

Edited by chasfh

8 minutes ago, Archie said:

@oblongIm not sure what you are trying to say with the cartoon.  The great majority of Americans don't wear masks. Are they bad people?  

People that are gun enthusiasts, carry firearms or hunt are not bad people either. 

there's a significant subset of GOP voters who think having to wear masks is about "living in fear" and "denies our freedom" and is "tyranny", yet they are just fine with kids having to do school shooting lockdown drills, metal detectors, etc. because the right to bear arms is "the price of freedom".  So yeah....  people that are ok with that are bad people. People that dismiss things like Sandy Hook as just an unfortunate result of a good policy can suck the big one.  They are bad people.  

Sandy Hook is the precise moment I shifted from the GOP because I learned they are ok with the slaughter of children as long as it means they get to accumulate all the firearms they want whenever they want.  They just fucking brushed it off.  Don't bother trying to engage in a gun control debate with me. I've heard it all before and nothing you say on the subject matters or changes a thing. 

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, pfife said:

Conservatives:  Spend decades passing "right to work" laws that allow for companies to fire people for whatever reason.

Also Conservatives:   Get fired for not getting vaccinated

Also Conservatives:  Call it tyranny

Wait until they sue for the right to terminate employees who got the vaccine because religious freedom. That’ll be fun.

1 hour ago, Archie said:

@oblongIm not sure what you are trying to say with the cartoon.  The great majority of Americans don't wear masks. Are they bad people?  

No. But I'm guessing that the subset of people who don't wear masks while sneering, concern trolling and talking shit about people who do wear masks (depicted in the cartoon) is made up of a lot of people who will be perceived as unlikable by a lot of people in America today. 

Put another way, if you spent the better part of last year and the beginning of this year whining about your personal freedom only to turn around and disrespect others for exercising their personal freedom, no, I'm not gonna have a lot of respect for that. Nor do I understand why I should. 

Edited by mtutiger