Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

knock on wood, like I always say when I do this, but MI's 7 day average is at a 2 week low.

I track the daily updates, not the official totals.  The difference is the daily updates is just the # of positives returned that day.  When they get logged offically they are added to the date of first symptoms.  But to detect the trends I think it's fine, I started this back in March 2020 so I stuck with it.  I'm on row 591 on my spreadsheet.

Last time our 7 day average dropped over 3% was at the end of June.   We've essentially been flat for 2 weeks but now it's going down, which  you hope is the start of the other side of the curve. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/19/2021 at 1:39 PM, oblong said:

Idiots.

Covid was the #1 killer of cops.

Not BLM.  Not Colin Kaepernick.  Something can protect them that costs nothing.

But carry on as if your issues have nothing to do with race.

its a fight with the city government.  not sure what race has to do with it.  public sector unions being dumb.

mayor has backed herself into a corner again.  they cant afford to fire all those cops and firefighters.  they'll need to give them the opportunity to test if they have an objection to the vaccine.  

that said, there are only 21 officers on unpaid leave now.  knowing cpd, they could out half the merit promotions on leave and no one would notice.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Doesn’t mean we have to just shrug and accept it.

John Belushi was right you know - nothing is ever over. No problem in human behavior is ever solved permanently, every generation has to refight the battles in some new form to keep the demons at bay. That's the way it always has been and the way it always will be. Maybe a mistake we make with our materialist mindset. You can fix a thing and it's fixed and you go on the the next thing. You never fix a society permanently, it's always a continual process. I don't think Americans think in those terms and that is our mistake. The country wanted to believe we have 'solved' civil rights with the legal reforms of the 50's and 60's or with Obama's elections in the 00's, so we could stop worrying about it. Doesn't work that way, never will.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Doesn’t mean we have to just shrug and accept it.

I agree 100%.  As long as people, institutions or the government continue to advantage or disadvantage people based on race, racism will thrive.  I prefer everyone be treated the same.  When I operated my own business 30 years ago I didn't care if you were man or woman or whatever race.  If you were the best person for the job, could help my business and make me money then you were offered the job.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

John Belushi was right you know - nothing is ever over. No problem in human behavior is ever solved permanently, every generation has to refight the battles in some new form to keep the demons at bay. That's the way it always has been and the way it always will be. Maybe a mistake we make with our materialist mindset. You can fix a thing and it's fixed and you go on the the next thing. You never fix a society permanently, it's always a continual process. I don't think Americans think in those terms and that is our mistake. The country wanted to believe we have 'solved' civil rights with the legal reforms of the 50's and 60's or with Obama's elections in the 00's, so we could stop worrying about it. Doesn't work that way, never will.

I'm sure I mentioned it before, but one thing I was struck by after traveling to Germany on our honeymoon five years ago is how Germans don't necessarily hide from or shy from what happened between 1933 and 1945.... they seem to accept it head on in a way that we, in America, never seem capable of accepting our past mistakes.

Not looking to draw an equivalence or anything (what happened in 1933-1945 remains unprecedented), but rather just remarking on how Americans don't like to feel uncomfortable when addressing past mistakes. And when you do look at some of these things, you occasionally get called things like "anti-American" and "Marxist" and the like for daring to recognize those past mistakes.

18 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I'm sure I mentioned it before, but one thing I was struck by after traveling to Germany on our honeymoon five years ago is how Germans don't necessarily hide from or shy from what happened between 1933 and 1945.... they seem to accept it head on in a way that we, in America, never seem capable of accepting our past mistakes.

Not looking to draw an equivalence or anything (what happened in 1933-1945 remains unprecedented), but rather just remarking on how Americans don't like to feel uncomfortable when addressing past mistakes. And when you do look at some of these things, you occasionally get called things like "anti-American" and "Marxist" and the like for daring to recognize those past mistakes.

My experiences with older people who had lived through 1933-1945 when i was in Germany between 1987 and 1989 were different than my experiences when I visited in 2018.   When I was there in the 80s, I knew a few older ladies in our area who wore black and nothing else but apparently were not widows.  They were wearing black for Adolph.   The anger of the kids who ran with the Red Army Faction toward their parent's generation was pretty real and raw.  The weaker shadow of it that we saw on our shores was nothing like it. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

Got a text from Meijer this morning about scheduling my COVID booster. I’m not 65+ and don’t have any major health issues, so we will see what happens when I go in on Sunday. Scheduled my flu shot along with it. 

I'm going right now to get mine