Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

9 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don't know about house to house. How did they do it in Australia? However they used the police to do it there, my theory—or hypothesis, I guess—is that if they did the same here, communities of color would certainly be cleaned out of their firearms, and white communities would go largely untouched. Is that a good thing?

Sure, you'd possibly get some reduction in certain crimes, but is uneven application of the law, in which historically-marginalized communities are the most heavily-policed yet again, the only or best way to get there? Seems to me this would be such a very clear and obvious case of othering that it would create an uproar.

I don't know all the things they did but among other things they did fund a temporary bounty where they paid people to bring guns in. But TBH, what community benefits the most if there IS an unequal application of the law enforcing gun reduction. Again - lets not confuse theoretical benefits with practical ones! Afterall, Life is listed before Liberty even in the DOI. If you ask the average Detroiter if it matters to them if people in West Bloomfield have guns at home if their community can get more gun free I think you can guess the answer.

Edited by gehringer_2

49 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Where are all these vast majority of people who don't wear masks? Where I live, there is an indoor mask mandate at most indoor establishments, and mask compliance is near 100%, same as it was a year ago. There are still a high percentage of people who walk the street in masks, which I think is overkill, but hey, that's their choice, and it's a much safer choice than someone being deliberately unvaccinated and deliberately unmasked around others, because they care only about themselves.

Are people in Michigan actively spurning indoor mask mandates to make a point?

Here in Indiana the only place anyone wears a mask is in a hospital or doctors office which require them. I was in Washington D.C. 5 days last week, most places require masks. I stayed in Virginia and I could count on one hand the people I saw with masks.

As you can guess, everyone is still masking in A^2. Part of that is because so many people work at the U and have to during their day anyway, part of it is cultural. Washtenaw also has the lowest infection rate of any large MI county. Washtenaw and Oakland also have the highest vaccination rates of the large counties. So given the high vaccination rate does the masking matter? Good question. People here are not interested in getting the answer the hard way however. 

I would be interested in reporting from folks in Oakland county though, because that would be a good comparison. Vaccination rates and infection rates in Oakland and Washtenaw are pretty close - are people in the denser parts of Oakland: Southfield/Farmington etc.,  masking or not?

Edited by gehringer_2

14 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I don't know all the things they did but among other things they did fund a temporary bounty where they paid people to bring guns in. But TBH, what community benefits the most if there IS an unequal application of the law enforcing gun reduction. Again - lets not confuse theoretical benefits with practical ones! Afterall, Life is listed before Liberty even in the DOI. If you ask the average Detroiter if it matters to them if people in West Bloomfield have guns at home if their community can get more gun free I think you can guess the answer.

You might be underestimating the desire of the average Detroiter to allow the average suburbanites to maintain their arsenals just so the cops can come through his own neighborhood and confiscate the guns.

What was it the man said? "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." A 21st Century amendment of that phrase might read, "Those who would cave on their own freedoms while allowing others to maintain theirs, just to obtain some theoretical safety from some theoretical guy down the street, deserve the unequal society they get in return."

8 minutes ago, chasfh said:

You might be underestimating the desire of the average Detroiter to allow the average suburbanites to maintain their arsenals just so the cops can come through his own neighborhood and confiscate the guns.

What was it the man said? "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." A 21st Century amendment of that phrase might read, "Those who would cave on their own freedoms while allowing others to maintain theirs, just to obtain some theoretical safety from some theoretical guy down the street, deserve the unequal society they get in return."

Could be but I'd flip the logic a little. Those seeing their children cut down on a regular basis by random gunfire are a lot less likely to care so much about the political theory if they can keep their children safer.

Heck, look at how quickly the right wing has been to throw away constitutionalism at the first sign pressure on their white privilege, how much less do we think people burying their children will worry about the niceties? High level political philosophy is fundamentally a luxury for the well off.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Could be but I'd flip the logic a little. Those seeing their children cut down on a regular basis by random gunfire are a lot less likely to care so much about the political theory if they can keep their children safer.

Heck, look at how quickly the right wing has been to throw away constitutionalism at the first sign pressure on their white privilege, how much less do we think people burying their children will worry about the niceties? High level political philosophy is fundamentally a luxury for the well off.

I would agree that people who have been touched by such violence, and have actually buried children as a result, are far more likely to set aside all the niceties of liberty and give it all up for safety.

I would not agree that makes up a majority of people living there, not even a slim majority. The news media may make it sound like Detroit is one big dystopian minority-ruined wasteland in which everyone who trods its ground is inevitably going to be murdered there, and I'm sure any number of posters here would affirm that belief. But I would bet more people who live there would not want to unilaterally disarm against their idea of a jacked white suburbia that has been hostile to them for decades, so granny down the street can feel marginally safer.

This is all hypothetical anyway, since there will be no handgun ban passed in America anyway.

Well, not at least until the Trumped-up fascists take over. 😉

1 hour ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Yes please. Not sure why they can't go hand in hand honestly.

You should ask our state legislators down in Austin.... they're the ones who passed a bill to (ostensibly) boost election security while simultaneously passing a Constitutional Carry bill.

Edited by mtutiger

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I'm good with Picture ID

I could agree with Picture ID only in the narrow circumstance that (1) state-issued ID is free; and (2) the state proactively delivers ID to every eligible voter in the state, as opposed to requiring people have to schlepp anywhere and jump through any number of bureaucratic hoops to have to pick it up themselves. Also, to do it right, a state would not be able implement their voter ID requirement until the Federal Elections Commission had reviewed their situation and ensured that every eligible voter had been delivered their required voting ID.

Of course, the devil is in the execution here. I can see any number of states failing to carry out the obligation adequately, or challenging the proactivity or free aspects of it in court, essentially, having to give it away for free. But my point of view is, if the left have to compromise in order to address a phantom problem, then the right at least has to implement universal free ID delivery.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Archie said:

Where I live in Michigan masked are not used by many people.  Even my doctors and dentist don't require me to wear a mask in the office. My work requires a mask but don't enforce proper usage since most are chin guards.

Michigan's daily case numbers are terrifying.  As of Monday, Michigan, population 10 million, had a 3 day rolling average of 2,832 new cases.  Ontario, population 14 million, has a 7 day rolling average of 407.  Restaurants and health clubs are not fully open yet, and as of last Friday the province has released a QR code that fully vaccinated people can download to their phones, to gain admittance to events.  Masking indoors is the rule everywhere.

15 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Michigan's daily case numbers are terrifying.  As of Monday, Michigan, population 10 million, had a 3 day rolling average of 2,832 new cases.  Ontario, population 14 million, has a 7 day rolling average of 407.  Restaurants and health clubs are not fully open yet, and as of last Friday the province has released a QR code that fully vaccinated people can download to their phones, to gain admittance to events.  Masking indoors is the rule everywhere.

I wish we only had 400 cases a day. On the other hand what about the businesses and their employees that are closed in Ontario? Are they receiving assistance from the Canadian government?  That has to be tough going for those folks.

31 minutes ago, Archie said:

I wish we only had 400 cases a day. On the other hand what about the businesses and their employees that are closed in Ontario? Are they receiving assistance from the Canadian government?  That has to be tough going for those folks.

The UM campus is running 10 cases per 100K per day and it's going down. That is with everyone vaccinated (~95%), everyone masked, and everything open including the cafeterias and in the mist of the surrounding community with an infection rate 2.5 times higher.

Edited by gehringer_2

16 minutes ago, Archie said:

Yes, millions of dollars of assistance, mostly from the federal government, to unemployed people and to support small business.  How will we pay for it?  Figure it out later.  The big issue now is that people don't want to work in food services for the ridiculously low wages that are paid there, so there are businesses that might close because they can't get staff - people who used to work there won't go back.  Minimum wage is $14.35 now, it's pathetic.  It was supposed to change to $15.00 3 years ago, but there was a change of government and the new people reneged.

And we still have meatheads who protest in front of restaurants and hospitals, and are abusive to the people who work there, about their "right" to remain unvaccinated and still participate fully in society.  Not many, I think we could find an uninhabited Arctic island for them all.

• Haha 1

I know that it is PC to say "I of course respect the right of each individual to decide for themselves about their own health care, and whether or not to receive a vaccine".  Well, I don't, not for a minute.  They are idiots who are endangering the general population.  I have read more than one opinion piece debating whether or not the unvaccinated should have to pay for their own hospitalization (it's free here).

• Thanks 2

More than a third of Chicago police officers defy city vaccine mandate

(CNN)About 4,500 Chicago police officers didn't report their vaccination status by October 15 as mandated by the city, officials said Monday.

That means roughly 35 percent of the city's 12,770 officers could be placed on no-pay status in the foreseeable future.
The Chicago Police Department had the lowest response rate of any department in the city, but of the about 64 percent who did report, the majority of officers say they are vaccinated, according to data released by the city. Specifically, 6,894 indicated being vaccinated while 1,333 reported they have not.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/17/us/chicago-police-department-time-off-restriction/index.html