Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

1 minute ago, casimir said:

I can't quite understand how the NBA is mandating vaccines (or maybe testing?) for all on floor personnel, yet allowing players to make their own choices, and no one has publicly called them on the inconsistency.

is it a union thing?

Tyler Bertuzzi is the only Red Wing not vaccinated and he's going to lose money since he won't be able to go to Canada.

26 minutes ago, oblong said:

is it a union thing?

Tyler Bertuzzi is the only Red Wing not vaccinated and he's going to lose money since he won't be able to go to Canada.

I don't know.  NBA referees are unionized but they are mandated to be vaccinated.

The NBA is requiring team personnel interacting with players — coaches, equipment managers, trainers, general managers, etc. — to be fully vaccinated for this upcoming season.

Now NBA will require referees to be vaccinated as well. The NBA reached a deal with the National Basketball Referees Association — the referee union — to require vaccinations, the league announced. From the official press release:

The agreement specifies that all referees must be fully vaccinated unless they have a religious or medical exemption.  The referees have also agreed to take any recommended boosters.  Any referee who does not get vaccinated and is not exempt will be ineligible to work games.

12 hours ago, casimir said:

I can't quite understand how the NBA is mandating vaccines (or maybe testing?) for all on floor personnel, yet allowing players to make their own choices, and no one has publicly called them on the inconsistency.

2 things:

1) Does the mandate effect NBA players? (that Biden has absolutely no role in)  

2) A union response is that there is no inconsistency.  I work for a fortune 500 company with a large union segment.  Prior to the mandate (that Biden has absolutely no role in), our company was working with the union to arrange a vaccination requirement.  Prior to the mandate, the union would use my companies desire to vaccinate them all as a carrot to help gain some other advantage.  That's exactly what has happened with the nba.  Even if the ref's are unionized, they don't have the leverage the players do.  

1/3 of cases in MI are under 18.

A friend's dad just passed.  He was fully vaxed, but you always have to give the disclaimer that he had 'comorbidities'.  They don't know how he got it.  Probably from one of the grandkids.  Weird thing is his wife didn't test positive, she gave him mouth to mouth when she found him passed out.  He was quarantining at home and collapsed.  My wife thinks maybe she was asymptomatic  before and gave it to him but it went through her system before a posotive could be detected.

9 hours ago, ewsieg said:

2 things:

1) Does the mandate effect NBA players? (that Biden has absolutely no role in)  

2) A union response is that there is no inconsistency.  I work for a fortune 500 company with a large union segment.  Prior to the mandate (that Biden has absolutely no role in), our company was working with the union to arrange a vaccination requirement.  Prior to the mandate, the union would use my companies desire to vaccinate them all as a carrot to help gain some other advantage.  That's exactly what has happened with the nba.  Even if the ref's are unionized, they don't have the leverage the players do.  

I'm not sure why you bring Biden's name into this.  I'm looking solely at the NBA as a business entity.  Maybe I'm wrong, but they've put into place the vaccine mandate for nonplayer personnel that will be close to players at official NBA facilities (games for sure, perhaps camps and practices as well).  So they are trying to protect their money making assets (hate to call people assets like they are machinery, but let's be honest, that's what the NBA is doing).  On the other hand, while they are trying to protect the players, they are not telling the players that they need to protect themselves.

2 minutes ago, casimir said:

I'm not sure why you bring Biden's name into this.  I'm looking solely at the NBA as a business entity.  Maybe I'm wrong, but they've put into place the vaccine mandate for nonplayer personnel that will be close to players at official NBA facilities (games for sure, perhaps camps and practices as well).  So they are trying to protect their money making assets (hate to call people assets like they are machinery, but let's be honest, that's what the NBA is doing).  On the other hand, while they are trying to protect the players, they are not telling the players that they need to protect themselves.

I think it's simply that due to their player's association agreement with the players they cannot mandate that?   Not all union agreements are created equal.  

I've got a bit of a mental list of words or phrases that I hear someone say and they instantly diminish the speaker's credibility in my mind.  For example... "Democrat Party".   Recently added was any form of "do/did my own research". 

The list has a new addition:

"the jab"

36 minutes ago, casimir said:

I was just stressing the point that POTUS doesn't have the legal authority to mandate vaccines, thus he has absolutely no role in the vaccine mandate that he happened to announce on the behalf of one of his cabinet secretaries.

As for that vaccine mandate (rather enforced by the government or demanded by a business entity), i'm not sure if players would be included as they may have a loophole (i.e., independent contractors of a team) whereas the team (coaches/admin/building staff) might be able to enforce mandates on direct employees.   Conversely the nba (officials) are possibly subject that way as well.  But the crux of it is as you state, the money making assets get more control in determining how they are affected than others.

4 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

doesn't have the legal authority to mandate vaccines, thus he has absolutely no role in the vaccine mandate that he happened to announce on the behalf of one of his cabinet secretaries.

What? Cabinet sec's that don't do what they are told or do what they are told not to get fired. That's the whole reason we worried about Trump. If we really had 15 fully independent governmental departments we wouldn't need to bother electing a President. The Const vests all executive authority in the elected guy.

Edited by gehringer_2

48 minutes ago, oblong said:

I think it's simply that due to their player's association agreement with the players they cannot mandate that?   Not all union agreements are created equal.  

Yes, that's possible.

I don't remember how the whole bubble thing worked a couple of seasons ago.  There had to have been some sort of union-management agreement, but I guess the dynamics have changed quite a bit since then that that process and agreement might not even be applicable now.

46 minutes ago, pfife said:

I've got a bit of a mental list of words or phrases that I hear someone say and they instantly diminish the speaker's credibility in my mind.  For example... "Democrat Party".   Recently added was any form of "do/did my own research". 

The list has a new addition:

"the jab"

I think that's what they call it in the UK... like 'mobile' (pronounced moh-bile) for your cell phone. And "car park".... and "queue".... no wonder we left.

4 hours ago, oblong said:

I think that's what they call it in the UK... like 'mobile' (pronounced moh-bile) for your cell phone. And "car park".... and "queue".... no wonder we left.

ok, I'll say when I hear an American person say it.   lol

no wonder they were so easy to defeat with words like them words

Edited by pfife

4 hours ago, ewsieg said:

I was just stressing the point that POTUS doesn't have the legal authority to mandate vaccines, thus he has absolutely no role in the vaccine mandate that he happened to announce on the behalf of one of his cabinet secretaries.

As for that vaccine mandate (rather enforced by the government or demanded by a business entity), i'm not sure if players would be included as they may have a loophole (i.e., independent contractors of a team) whereas the team (coaches/admin/building staff) might be able to enforce mandates on direct employees.   Conversely the nba (officials) are possibly subject that way as well.  But the crux of it is as you state, the money making assets get more control in determining how they are affected than others.

I'm going to go ahead and assume that there's some sarcasm/trolling interweaved, but maybe it's just me, I have a hard time following your actual argument when that is weaved through.  

5 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

What? Cabinet sec's that don't do what they are told or do what they are told not to get fired. That's the whole reason we worried about Trump. If we really had 15 fully independent governmental departments we wouldn't need to bother electing a President. The Const vests all executive authority in the elected guy.

I've been told you're wrong, see below.

1 hour ago, pfife said:

I'm going to go ahead and assume that there's some sarcasm/trolling interweaved, but maybe it's just me, I have a hard time following your actual argument when that is weaved through.  

No trolling, but yes, heavy on the sarcasm. 

To be technically correct, Biden has no authority to put a vaccine mandate in place.  (POTUS probably had that ability before until an evil GOP legislature took it away just to screw over a democrat at some point in the future) He worked within his administration to identify a legal way to do this and the person with the authority, then took the steps needed to move forward with implementing it.

Ironically, this is exactly what Whitmer could do if she wanted to put a mask mandate in place in Michigan.  Yet for some reason, instead of asking if or why she's not talking about it, the correct response to that question is that the GOP took away all her power and anyone that says otherwise is a liar.  Stop blaming Whitmer, start blaming the GOP.  End of story.

I don't understand the difference.  Mind you I'm not the brightest, so there is that.

Hey, a nurse in our area was selling stolen vaccine cards to those who were not vaccinated.  $200 a pop - and the kicker is that she used lot numbers from Moderna doses they had on hand at the VA hospital where she worked. 

So the scenario could have played out where people claiming to be vaxxed got sick, researchers saw the same lot number and then assumed those doses were bad, potentially scaring thousands of people into thinking they got a bad dose.  

She's 37, she lives in Southgate.  She said she was doing it to pay for her child's orthodontist.    Well, I am not going to be satisfied with probation time for her.  She needs to go to jail and congrats, you're only 37 and you will likely never ever work as a nurse again.   Well done, creep.  

• Thanks 1