Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

Well, it took 2+ years, but it finally got me. I was required to travel for work this week, started feeling ill and excused myself from my meetings. Stopped on the way back to the hotel for an at-home test....now I'm stuck in my hotel room in Alabama at least until Monday.

Pretty classic symptoms....headache, fever, chills, general soreness, cough, stuffed up....certainly don't feel great.

7 minutes ago, microline133 said:

Well, it took 2+ years, but it finally got me. I was required to travel for work this week, started feeling ill and excused myself from my meetings. Stopped on the way back to the hotel for an at-home test....now I'm stuck in my hotel room in Alabama at least until Monday.

Pretty classic symptoms....headache, fever, chills, general soreness, cough, stuffed up....certainly don't feel great.

I finally got it this week too.  Same symptoms as you described, but the effects didn't last as long as a typical cold or flu.  After resting for four days, I felt good enough to run today.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

Got informed yesterday somebody I was around earlier in the day had tested positive when he got home, so... we'll see if the outdoor ventilation and vaccines do their job I guess.

I was working out indoors next to someone for 60 minutes a few weeks ago who tested positive the next day and was fine.  Her, me, and my wife were all wtihin a few feet of each other the whole time.  Hopefully you'll be ok.

4 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Got informed yesterday somebody I was around earlier in the day had tested positive when he got home, so... we'll see if the outdoor ventilation and vaccines do their job I guess.

I went to a block party two weekends ago that was of course outside. Went for a few hours. By mid week my next-door neighbor the neighbor across the street and a third had all been feeling sick and tested positive for Covid. I’m pretty sure they were a couple more people we just haven’t heard about. I can’t believe I have not tested positive. I’ve been feeling fine. But today I go for my Covid test for my pre-surgery which happens on this Friday. I will totally freak out if they take the Covid test today and tell me I have it. That would mean postponing the surgery. This virus is just too much, too too much.

On 4/29/2022 at 3:02 PM, microline133 said:

I had some chills and soreness, stuffed-up nose for sure, but very little coughing, no headaches, no fever, and smell and taste still intact. My COVID test came up negative, but hey, who believes anything anymore, amirite

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I had some chills and soreness, stuffed-up nose for sure, but very little coughing, no headaches, no fever, and smell and taste still intact. My COVID test came up negative, but hey, who believes anything anymore, amirite

Inf A is apparently also rampant currently. I'm told there is now a single rapid test you can do for both.

12 hours ago, oblong said:

Wife’s hospital has had more flu than COVID patients for a good while. Pediatrician friend says she’s seeing a lot of flu. Sons GF has it. Wife’s work partner’s two kids had it. 

I suspect a lot of people's immune systems are down.

12 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I suspect a lot of people's immune systems are down.

I haven't read anything specific, but in general flu can morph rapidly enough that the vax they get to market by October may be losing effectiveness by Spring, assuming they even had a good match, which is also not a sure thing year to year. But we know that warm weather does impede flu, so hopefully this won't be around much longer.

There was no real flu season from 2020-2021 because of quarantines, masking, and social distancing, so there was nothing to build off when coming up with the vaccine for 2021-2022.  It's always a guess based on what we see evolve from the warmer climates as they transition to cooler climates and the flu makes its way north during the summer/fall but even more so this time.  Also an increase in vax skepticism so many didn't get their shot for reasons.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, oblong said:

There was no real flu season from 2020-2021 because of quarantines, masking, and social distancing, so there was nothing to build off when coming up with the vaccine for 2021-2022.  It's always a guess based on what we see evolve from the warmer climates as they transition to cooler climates and the flu makes its way north during the summer/fall but even more so this time.  Also an increase in vax skepticism so many didn't get their shot for reasons.

This is accurate.

5 hours ago, oblong said:

And the flu vaccine is usually around 40% effective. That's one of the things I found amazing about the coronavirus vaccine...effectiveness in the 90% range. Amazing....sign me up!!

22 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

I am eligible for the 4th shot on June 5.  I did get my second shingles vaccine last week!

Shingrix vaccine? The 2nd shot of that kicked my ass. First time I ever had a reaction to any medicine/vaccine. I'm told it's better than getting actual shingles though....

11 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Shingrix vaccine? The 2nd shot of that kicked my ass. First time I ever had a reaction to any medicine/vaccine. I'm told it's better than getting actual shingles though....

I thought the second shingles shot without reading anything about it, and the pharmacist who administered it did not say a thing about possible reactions. So I took a long bike ride starting maybe a half hour later. Thought I was going to collapse along the way. I did not even draw a connection to the shingles shot until weeks later.

Just now, chasfh said:

I thought the second shingles shot without reading anything about it, and the pharmacist who administered it did not say a thing about possible reactions. So I took a long bike ride starting maybe a half hour later. Thought I was going to collapse along the way. I did not even draw a connection to the shingles shot until weeks later.

I quit reading about side effects to meds. After the 2nd shingles vaccine, it seems I now get every reaction they warn about. I thought it was in my head but no, I have problems with many meds now. Getting my first covid booster and the flu vaccine at the same time was a mistake. Yes, better than getting covid or a bad flu case but I have no idea which vaccine caused such a horrible reaction that lasted 3 days. And no, it didn't stop me from getting a 2nd covid booster. I'll get another if it's recommended. 

3 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

No problems here, I felt like I had been punched in the shoulder for a couple of days but that was all.