Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

On 5/20/2022 at 7:25 AM, Biff Mayhem said:

You're a good sheep MB. Good, good sheep. Stelter and Lemon tell you it's Horse Dewormer, ignoring that it's also a human drug and you fall right in line. Gee, I wonder why these news outlets want to dismiss the fact that it might be helpful in treating Covid? Anyone have a clue? Anyone? Buehler?

Credible news sources are dismissing it because it has been dismissed in the scientific community.  Remember Hydroxychloroquine?  The miracle cure, according to the Trumpturds.  It was so great, Trump didn't take it when he got it.  Oops.  Then the sheep shifted to Ivermectin.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Got reports yesterday that the in-laws who favor the strict evangelical line that the vaccine was developed too rapidly and is the work of Zog, etc. are hospitalized with COVID.  I think a strong Nelson Muntz reaction is in order.   I don't wish pain and suffering on them but if they do survive, perhaps they will think a bit differently of science. 

Edited by romad1

My company is starting to require people return to the office. There is no vaccine requirement. Now that people will be returning to the office, the company is offering an additional 5 days of COVID related sick time. They never offered this the entire two years we were remote. They are literally acknowledging that their return to office policy is going to cause people to get COVID but they are charging ahead anyways. There is a text that goes out to all employees with basic screening questions that you do not have COVID symptoms or were not in contact with someone who has COVID. I'm not required to go in every day, but on days I have been, I answered yes so I haven't gone in. Obviously, my supervisor has wised up to what I'm doing so this will lead to some tense meetings in the future. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, romad1 said:

Got reports yesterday that the in-laws who favor the strict evangelical line that the vaccine was developed too rapidly and is the work of Zog, etc. are hospitalized with COVID.  I think a strong Nelson Muntz reaction is in order.   I don't wish pain and suffering on them but if they do survive, perhaps they will think a bit differently of science. 

I had never heard of Zog and I just looked it up. God help us all.

On 5/31/2022 at 11:21 AM, Motown Bombers said:

My company is starting to require people return to the office. There is no vaccine requirement. Now that people will be returning to the office, the company is offering an additional 5 days of COVID related sick time. They never offered this the entire two years we were remote. They are literally acknowledging that their return to office policy is going to cause people to get COVID but they are charging ahead anyways. There is a text that goes out to all employees with basic screening questions that you do not have COVID symptoms or were not in contact with someone who has COVID. I'm not required to go in every day, but on days I have been, I answered yes so I haven't gone in. Obviously, my supervisor has wised up to what I'm doing so this will lead to some tense meetings in the future. 

It's all about management job security.  

On 5/31/2022 at 11:21 AM, Motown Bombers said:

I have a neighbor who recently returned to 3 days a week at the office, his wife is at 4 days. They're basically doing the same work they've been doing the past two years with the commute or the ability to schedule things like doctor's appointments and such around working at home.

My wife is permanently working remote and what I'm seeing it can be more stressful at times. Most of the times her day is filled with meetings (her position involves a lot of strategy meetings) with no real down time.  Most of the staff is in the building one day a week and she says she misses that a bit. There a lot of issues that can be straightened out wit just a quick chat in the coffee room, or on the way back to the cubical.

Before COVID her day might consists of meetings anywhere from Wixom to Ann Arbor, Downtown Detroit, Lansing, etc. The drive would give her time to unwind and digest the conversations from the meetings. Of course the 12 hour she makes it a bit tough now except for the trips to Michigan every month or so now.

Bottom line I don't think there is a perfect solution.

(At least she didn't have to go to Mackinac Island this week) 

well, Mr Musk has decided.....

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/b60968b7-a955-3a45-a3cd-c7776186c487/‘pretend-to-work-somewhere.html

“Anyone who wishes to do remote work must be in the office for a minimum (and I mean ‘minimum’) of 40 hours per week or depart Tesla. This is less than we ask of factory workers,” said the email dated May 31 and signed “Elon.”

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I have a neighbor who recently returned to 3 days a week at the office, his wife is at 4 days. They're basically doing the same work they've been doing the past two years with the commute or the ability to schedule things like doctor's appointments and such around working at home.

My wife is permanently working remote and what I'm seeing it can be more stressful at times. Most of the times her day is filled with meetings (her position involves a lot of strategy meetings) with no real down time.  Most of the staff is in the building one day a week and she says she misses that a bit. There a lot of issues that can be straightened out wit just a quick chat in the coffee room, or on the way back to the cubical.

Before COVID her day might consists of meetings anywhere from Wixom to Ann Arbor, Downtown Detroit, Lansing, etc. The drive would give her time to unwind and digest the conversations from the meetings. Of course the 12 hour she makes it a bit tough now except for the trips to Michigan every month or so now.

Bottom line I don't think there is a perfect solution.

(At least she didn't have to go to Mackinac Island this week) 

One easy solution would be to make it optional. During the pandemic, my company started hiring out of state workers. Now they seem to be hedging on full remote and employees like myself who have over 10 years with the company are being forced back into the office while the newer employees get to be full time remote. Our company has an internal instant messaging system. I can instant message anyone in the company and replaces the need for idle chit chat around the office. 

We had one of our first meetings since we were required to return to the office. Only the supervisor was there. The entire team learned how to game the system. The supervisor is also not a fan of forced return to office. She's just carrying water for the higher ups. 

our company is selling buildings.  But also building, something started before the pandemic.  There's going to be a huge glut of corporate office space.   Deloitte is moving out of the Ren Cen, one of the few big tenants left, GM is still remote.  BoA moved out of their big building in Troy and dispersed people to 3 other locations.  

It will not surprise you to learn that, in the Bank of Nova Scotia tower in Toronto, the key tenant is the Bank of Nova Scotia.  They did not renew their lease, on the top 3 floors of the tower, which included some ridiculously opulent office space.  It's happening all over downtown Toronto.