Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

2 hours ago, Screwball said:

Who said it stopped?

CDC Covid Tracker

us-state-trends.thumb.png.4eb3eb1c8409003dfaaedc6e9ab028ab.png

The latest data point, November 2nd, there were 2,504 weekly deaths, which works out to about 358 per day, or 130, 000 per year.  To some, I guess that's good enough to call it over.

My wife is an ICU nurse at a large hospital network. 15k employees and they dropped their mask requirements last month. Like GG said, the threat of hospitalization to most of the population is very minimal now. 

Edited by Tigeraholic1

1 hour ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I was just reading what some scientist credit Pandemic 'immunity gap as a major side effect from keeping kids home the last few years. We need to get sick I guess.

I was wondering if that was a culprit. I bet there could be some merit. 

On 11/5/2022 at 2:14 PM, Tigeraholic1 said:

My wife is an ICU nurse at a large hospital network. 15k employees and they dropped their mask requirements last month. Like GG said, the threat of hospitalization to most of the population is very minimal now. 

Well that's nice, except for the 130,000 who got the "dead" version.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/6/2022 at 2:46 PM, Screwball said:

Well that's nice, except for the 130,000 who got the "dead" version.

Yeah - overall it sucks. But in the end you can't fight mother nature forever. We got at least a chunk of society to take enough precautions that the hospital system didn't fully collapse before we got vaccines, paxlovid, and monoclonals. That level of success is more than the species has ever managed before in the face of a new disease. What could be done has mostly been done (excpet for maybe China!). The Universe has just gotten a little less hospitable for our species.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Yeah - overall it sucks. But in the end you can't fight mother nature forever. We got at least a chunk of society to take enough precautions that the hospital system didn't fully collapse before we got vaccines, paxlovid, and monoclonals. That level of success is more than the species has ever managed before in the face of a new disease. What could be done has mostly been done (excpet for maybe China!). The Universe has just gotten a little less hospitable for our species.

I thought about how I wanted to respond to this, but I couldn't come up with anything.  Too many things to cover, but I guess "it sucks" kind of sums it up.

For the record; the response to the pandemic was a giant cluster fuck from day one, and still is. By everyone calling the shots (no pun intended).  Millions of people unnecessarily died because of ineptness, politics, lack of readiness (this was not a Black Swan), and of course money. 

So people will continue to die because we have adapted an acceptable death rate - so all is good.  There are too many people anyway, and way too many old ones, and they aren't productive anyway.

If all these fucking pukes worked as hard at helping us (the people in charge, not the people who have to deal with this insanity on a daily basis - the real foot soldiers) instead of getting everyone to hate each other....

But I digress.

We should be better than this.

6 minutes ago, Screwball said:

So people will continue to die because we have adapted an acceptable death rate - so all is good.  There are too many people anyway, and way too many old ones, and they aren't productive anyway.

and yet even for all that, a big chunk of those who did die did it in the name of 'freedom' either because they wouldn't follow the available public health recommendations or later because they became vaccine naysayers. I don't know what you do with a society when you are at the 'can lead a horse to water but can't make him drink' stage."

Edited by gehringer_2

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

and yet even for all that, a big chunk of those who did die did it in the name of 'freedom' either because they wouldn't follow the available public health recommendations or later because they became vaccine naysayers. I don't know what you do with a society when you are at the 'can lead a horse to water but can't make him drink' stage."

And when 30-45% of those Mr. Ed horses are just loudly shouting out "F.U."

19 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think you could argue is that you're describing another symptom to the politics argument.  There were legitimate concerns against a full lockdown, such as the economy, education, and even other health issues as mentioned above.  I absolutely remember many on the right arguing that by not exposing ourselves to each other and by proxy germs/viruses, that would cause other health care issues down the road.  There was no debate by either side to come to any agreement, which only hardened folks to go all in on their side.  If you wanted kids back in school, you obviously wanted to kill teachers which isn't surprising because the Right already hates teachers/unions.  If you wanted to error on the side of caution and stay locked down longer, of course you do, you want the government to take care of you already, what else should we expect from you. You were labeled based on what the other side expected you to be based on that opinion because that helps reinforce your own believes.

As such, legitimate issues were never negotiated to a point that for most of our citizens, if they didn't agree with the outcome, they at least understood it.

I recommend our solution to COVID over China's solutions to COVID.  Even though those thugs are responsible for the disease in the first place.  The Western/civilized world has responded to the emergency correctly for the most part.  It was the use of caution, guided by science and history.

The Chinese on the other hand are consigning entire populations to lockdowns and quarantine prison camps for a single case.  

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

I think you could argue is that you're describing another symptom to the politics argument.  There were legitimate concerns ...

As such, legitimate issues were never negotiated to a point that for most of our citizens, if they didn't agree with the outcome, they at least understood it.

One theory is that Americans have lost so many of the identity anchors they used to have (social and service clubs, stable jobs, churches, neighborhoods, ethnic subcultures) that political tribalism has begun to fill those gaps in their lives and the corollary to that is that the purpose of political discourse shifts away from dialect debate that reaches for consensus and solution, to where it is mostly directed at tribal membership declaration and maintenance, where the point is no longer to engage with contrary views at all.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

I recommend our solution to COVID over China's solutions to COVID.  Even though those thugs are responsible for the disease in the first place.  The Western/civilized world has responded to the emergency correctly for the most part.  It was the use of caution, guided by science and history.

The Chinese on the other hand are consigning entire populations to lockdowns and quarantine prison camps for a single case.  

Probably goes without saying, but they are obviously locking down people for reasons other than COVID.

What they're finding, though, is that there can be a high cost to doing so as even the most pliant population will reach a point where they feel they have little left to lose by pushing back.

Edited by chasfh

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Purely out of curiosity and not to start a war but I am wondering how many people, with the benefit of hindsight, would have still gotten the vaccine. 

No one that I know has any regrets getting vaccinated. I’m guessing a vast majority that had no issue with it would still get it. Didn’t get the omicron booster because I just got covid, but I’ll get it when the time is right. 

4 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Purely out of curiosity and not to start a war but I am wondering how many people, with the benefit of hindsight, would have still gotten the vaccine. 

“Raises hand”. 🙂

And every booster. 🙂 And when it’s coupled with the flu vaccine next year, I’ll continue to do that. 🙂

And I thank God for our scientific community.🎉🙏🏻

And, when a store is crowded, or I’ll be in it for more than 5 minutes, I grab my mask and put it on.  😷

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VegasTiger said:

What hindsight is that?

The hindsight that at the time it was touted as the be all end all of COVID. Plenty of talking heads and political leaders said this would kill it in its place. We know now that is simply not true. 

I’m in the camp that says I wouldn’t have gotten it had I known now of how limited it is. I would fully advice the elderly (Sue) 😄 to continue getting it but for myself with very little in the way of risk factors, I’d pass and will pass again going forward. 

If I die an ironic death, you are more than welcome to laugh about it. 😎

17 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

The hindsight that at the time it was touted as the be all end all of COVID. Plenty of talking heads and political leaders said this would kill it in its place. We know now that is simply not true. 

I’m in the camp that says I wouldn’t have gotten it had I known now of how limited it is. I would fully advice the elderly (Sue) 😄 to continue getting it but for myself with very little in the way of risk factors, I’d pass and will pass again going forward. 

If I die an ironic death, you are more than welcome to laugh about it. 😎

You do you.  I still wear a seat belt even though I could be toast in a head on collision.