Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

13 hours ago, oblong said:

I think I’m having sex tonight with Scarlett Johansson. I say that with low confidence though. Which of course with the WSJ says it’s most likely. Woo hoo. 

Actually it was Dept of Energy and reported by WSJ, or at least where the guy I posted saw it.  I saw in a NYT article that 4 intelligence agencies already had this conclusion with low confidence and the FBI has it with medium confidence.  Fauci is now 'open' to it, which anyone that read his initial emails knows he immediately thought it was likely a lab leak.

Crazy to think lab leak proponents were on equal footing with election deniers not too long ago.

8 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Actually it was Dept of Energy and reported by WSJ, or at least where the guy I posted saw it.  I saw in a NYT article that 4 intelligence agencies already had this conclusion with low confidence and the FBI has it with medium confidence.  Fauci is now 'open' to it, which anyone that read his initial emails knows he immediately thought it was likely a lab leak.

Crazy to think lab leak proponents were on equal footing with election deniers not too long ago.

I was never part of that debate, but I never understood why it mattered how the virus originated in terms of managing the virus.  Regardless of where it originated, you stll have to deal with it as best you can.  Instead, we spent a couple years politicizing it.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

I was never part of that debate, but I never understood why it mattered how the virus originated in terms of managing the virus.  Regardless of where it originated, you stll have to deal with it as best you can.  Instead, we spent a couple years politicizing it.  

I still don't understand why it matters if it's a lab leak, but the conspiracy theorists can use it to say the Dems in collaboration with Communist China created this virus to take down Trump. The same virus they say is hoax and yet knew Trump wouldn't be capable of handling it. 

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

I was never part of that debate, but I never understood why it mattered how the virus originated in terms of managing the virus.  

Probably because the rigidity of those who were vehemently fighting the idea of it originating in a lab being in positions of power setting up another layer of lies that many people swallowed hook, line and sinker.

Masks work! 

Don't buy paint or vegetable seeds!

Herd immunity is a joke!

Ivermectin is horse paste!

The vaccination will stop Covid in it's tracks!

It didn't start in a lab!

We did not authorize or pay for gain of function research!

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I still don't understand why it matters if it's a lab leak, but the conspiracy theorists can use it to say the Dems in collaboration with Communist China created this virus to take down Trump. The same virus they say is hoax and yet knew Trump wouldn't be capable of handling it. 

3 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Probably because the rigidity of those who were vehemently fighting the idea of it originating in a lab being in positions of power setting up another layer of lies that many people swallowed hook, line and sinker.

Masks work! 

Don't buy paint or vegetable seeds!

Herd immunity is a joke!

Ivermectin is horse paste!

The vaccination will stop Covid in it's tracks!

It didn't start in a lab!

We did not authorize or pay for gain of function research!

Right on queue....

6 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I try not to take people like that seriously.

The reason it mattered is because people wanted an excuse to espouse their anti china bigotry and needed a reason to beat some of them up here in the US.  But carry on the good work.

Miguel Cabrera will hit 60 home runs this year, most likely.  But I say that with low confidence.  Commence with your betting at your own risk.

2 minutes ago, oblong said:

The reason it mattered is because people wanted an excuse to espouse their anti china bigotry and needed a reason to beat some of them up here in the US.  But carry on the good work.

Miguel Cabrera will hit 60 home runs this year, most likely.  But I say that with low confidence.  Commence with your betting at your own risk.

The communist Tigers in conjuction with Hunter Biden moved in the fences at Comerica to make it happen

20 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Yeah, I don't understand it either..... it's particularly weird (and seems like cognitive dissonance) when people profess to believing that COVID is no big deal then turn around and get worked up over the origins of the virus.

3 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Hook, line and sinker. Congrats!

I mean, everything you posted was wrong. It has been proven that transmission had been lower in areas with high mask usage, unvaccinated people are significantly more likely to die or get seriously ill from COVID, Ivermectin is an anti-parasite that hasn't been proven to make a difference against COVID and Tractor Supply had to put up warnings because so many people were buying the horse paste, and I'm guessing the paint and vegetable seeds had to do with the guidelines in Michigan about going to Home Depot in the beginning to slow the transmission.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I believe every effort to contain and stop COVID were on point. It is/was serious and not a joke in any way.

What scares the crap out of me is the next "leak" may be tweaked to be vaccine resistant or stronger etc... That is not coming from conspiracy angle but more of germ warfare fear prospective.

LOL our president said it was a hoax and would disappear like a miracle. Many governors were anti-vax and anti-mask. The US had a significantly higher rate of death than many other developed countries such as Canada. 

Edited by Motown Bombers

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

LOL our president said it was a hoax and would disappear like a miracle. Many governors were anti-vax and anti-mask. The US had a significantly higher rate of death than many other developed countries such as Canada. 

Not sure what the LOL is about. So something leaked once could never be leaked again? What you are saying a disease in a government lab could never get loose again? 

12 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I had a sarcastic response written up, but probably not the best way to approach it.

In short, while absolutely correct that dealing with the problems is one of the main responsibilities, wouldn't trying to prevent it be another?  And I'm not even necessarily against gain of function research as I have trust in the idea that those doing it, are trying to prevent some of the same issues we saw with Covid.  That said, some decent regulation like maybe step one, we don't assist that work being done in China.  

It is very important to have a government that can safely and quickly provide the best resources to have us better prepared for train derailments, school shootings, and pandemics, but I definitely feel it's just as important to see if we can do something about preventing them in the first place, which means understanding why they happen.

13 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I believe every effort to contain and stop COVID were on point. It is/was serious and not a joke in any way.

What scares the crap out of me is the next "leak" may be tweaked to be vaccine resistant or stronger etc... That is not coming from conspiracy angle but more of germ warfare fear prospective.

You are correct that any potential leaks must be considered in ongoing germ warfare and I think think the most likely have been regardless of whether or not there was a leak this time.  Most of the people who were talking about the leak were not talking about it in that vein though.  They were using it to be promote the idea that Democrats and China were working together to destroy Trump or to justify their hatred of Asians. It was all nonsense. I didn't see anyone saying we needed to work together as a country to prevent future leaks (whether one happened in this case or not).  

2 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

I had a sarcastic response written up, but probably not the best way to approach it.

In short, while absolutely correct that dealing with the problems is one of the main responsibilities, wouldn't trying to prevent it be another?  And I'm not even necessarily against gain of function research as I have trust in the idea that those doing it, are trying to prevent some of the same issues we saw with Covid.  That said, some decent regulation like maybe step one, we don't assist that work being done in China.  

It is very important to have a government that can safely and quickly provide the best resources to have us better prepared for train derailments, school shootings, and pandemics, but I definitely feel it's just as important to see if we can do something about preventing them in the first place, which means understanding why they happen.

I agree with that part and I addresed it elsewhere.  

13 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

You are correct that any potential leaks must be considered in ongoing germ warfare and I think think the most likely have been regardless of whether or not there was a leak this time.  Most of the people who were talking about the leak were not talking about it in that vein though.  They were using it to be promote the idea that Democrats and China were working together to destroy Trump or to justify their hatred of Asians. It was all nonsense. I didn't see anyone saying we needed to work together as a country to prevent future leaks (whether one happened in this case or not).  

I do remember when I was a kid in the 80's my Dad talking about AIDS originating in Africa and having a major racial tone to the discussion with his buddies.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

I contend you're either trying to continue the mockery as you refuse to believe you may have been wrong this entire time or you simply don't understand what believing something with low confidence means.  They could have come out and said they don't know, they could have said low/medium/high confidence that it was natural.  They claim they have intelligence which pushed them towards declaring it was likely a lab leak.  Rather there is some other counter evidence they don't believe strongly enough but warrants not claiming medium/high or simply don't have enough evidence, again, they are leaning towards lab leak.

Not long ago merely suggesting this put you on the same level as people that believed in Jewish space lasers.

To note folks, you can still believe the Orange man is very bad AND that this virus came out of a lab that just happens to investigate/research the exact thing we're dealing with.

• Like 1