Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

12 hours ago, Deleterious said:

I started getting a flu shot a few years ago.  It was 100% based on science.

Girlfriend said, "Hey, you need to start getting a flu shot."  Years of research and experiments have made me come to the conclusion that doing what she says equals a happier life for me.

This is not much different than the happy wife, happy life principle.  Essentially the only differences in the scenarios are a ring and some vows.

I just remembered I started getting the flu shot regularly when my company would have flu shot clinics.   You could sign up online for a specific time slot, down to the 10 min intervals.  Go downstairs, get jabbed, then carry on.  Very very hassle free.

Even during covid they would set up a clinic.  So between that and my PCP I was covered.  But in my 20s and 30s it was hit or miss.

Outside of a sinus infection that I finally broke down and went to the doctor for antibiotics, I can't recall any incident of feeling sick, other than a cold that was annoying for about week here or there.

A few weeks ago there was something going around and I was congested.  No pains, no sore throat, felt fine, just had to constantly blow my nose.  As long as I moved around I was clear.  Maybe I should have taken a covid test but given no other symptoms I passed.  I don't go anywhere and none of my family members were showing the same symptoms.  That was the only time during this pandemic I had anything where probably I should have tested.  (I think the tests we have our expired anyway).

I started getting flu shots pretty regularly sometime during the 1990s and fell out of it during the 2010s when I missed it one year and got away with it. I was fine for a couple more years but then I got the actual flu a week before a winter plane trip, five or so years ago, and it hit me pretty hard. I thought I felt fine and was over it by the trip, but while the plane was landing I got screwdrivers in the ears. My ears were blocked for the rest of the day and they were ringing for months afterwards. I’m mostly over that, but I still wonder whether the occasionally plugged-up hearing I get can be attributable to that experience.

2 hours ago, oblong said:

I just remembered I started getting the flu shot regularly when my company would have flu shot clinics.   You could sign up online for a specific time slot, down to the 10 min intervals.  Go downstairs, get jabbed, then carry on.  Very very hassle free.

same. the only time I had a flu shot before fall 2016 was when the big H1N1 thing was going on 10-12 years ago or whatever. but then in 2016, I had a new employer that did the on-site clinic.

I haven't had an office since covid hit, so it's been up to me the past couple years. still haven't done it for this season. I will, though—even though I'm never really around people, I still feel like I should give my immune system something to do.

There is a risk in getting it too early.  I got mine in late Aug/early Sept, not sure when.  My friend suggests November.  She thinks whatever help I am getting from it could wear off in February.

Then again given how they derive the vaccine nothing is guaranteed.  But every bit helps.  Would rather be sick than "wanting to die" sick and would rather be "wanting to die" sick than "you are going into the hospital" sick.   If getting the shot prevents that give it to me.  I think that's a big piece of info the "I got the shot but got the flu" anyway crowd misses.  It could have been worse.  The flu can be deadly.

6 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Gentleman said:

then in 2016, I had a new employer that did the on-site clinic.

Sort of similar. I'd always think about getting a flu shot but just never got down to a place and time so it didn't happen. Then they started doing a shot clinic each fall literally 50 feet down the hall from my lab. Now it's a habit even if the clinic down the hall is put somewhere else in a given year..

https://apple.news/A14kQg7KGSja-Ocn03CYNXw

DeSantis calls for grand jury to investigate Covid-19 vaccines

Gov. Ron DeSantis’ announcement was the latest in an ongoing war between his administration and the Biden administration — and the broader medical community — over the pandemic.

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Gov. Ron DeSantis on Tuesday asked the Florida Supreme Court to empanel a grand jury to investigate “wrongdoing” linked to the Covid-19 vaccines, including spreading false and misleading claims about the efficacy of the doses .

————-/-/////——————///////———

Hmm. A “ public health investigation committee”…… but the level of the medical studies that they’re cherry picking is so flawed.  

DeSantis. You look like a fool. A Shameful crackpot.  

7 hours ago, smr-nj said:

https://apple.news/A14kQg7KGSja-Ocn03CYNXw

DeSantis calls for grand jury to investigate Covid-19 vaccines

Gov. Ron DeSantis’ announcement was the latest in an ongoing war between his administration and the Biden administration — and the broader medical community — over the pandemic.

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Gov. Ron DeSantis on Tuesday asked the Florida Supreme Court to empanel a grand jury to investigate “wrongdoing” linked to the Covid-19 vaccines, including spreading false and misleading claims about the efficacy of the doses .

————-/-/////——————///////———

Hmm. A “ public health investigation committee”…… but the level of the medical studies that they’re cherry picking is so flawed.  

DeSantis. You look like a fool. A Shameful crackpot.  

This was a distraction attempt by him. The home insurance market is crumbling, and he brought the legislature together in a special session to rewrite the laws and make sure if the crumble continues it is the homeowners who suffer, not the companies that bribed him.

Almost all of his big shows of idiocy are done while he and his cronies in legislature are doing something particularly evil to screw over the people.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

This was a distraction attempt by him. The home insurance market is crumbling, and he brought the legislature together in a special session to rewrite the laws and make sure if the crumble continues it is the homeowners who suffer, not the companies that bribed him.

Almost all of his big shows of idiocy are done while he and his cronies in legislature are doing something particularly evil to screw over the people.

The party that has told us for four-plus decades that government is evil is using government to perpetrate evil, and we just shrug and accept it because what are ya gonna do? Government is evil.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

Cosign

As good as this advice is, this unfortunately that would require a level of behavioral zeitgeist that would never, that could never, happen. Individuals doing individual things on an individual basis never unwittingly band together suddenly to change their behavior from one direction to another en masse. There has to be some impetus from the outside, one that is compelling and practically unavoidable. So what could that be in a case such as this?

38 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think the dunking I've been seeing more of occurs using a screenshot of the tweet, versus clicking retweet or quoting the tweet which counts toward views and engagement for the OP.

Same here, I don't even have a Twitter account.  So without people posting screenshots here of people getting dunked on, I would have never seen the savage, devastating, one-punch knockout shot that Greta Thunberg landed.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

Same here, I don't even have a Twitter account.  So without people posting screenshots here of people getting dunked on, I would have never seen the savage, devastating, one-punch knockout shot that Greta Thunberg landed.

Yep. Me too

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I have two Twitter accounts, one for following baseball, one for following news. I post almost nothing to either one, although I do reply occasionally.

yup, I have an account that follows baseball and Ukraine. Have never made a twit. We are Elon's nemesis users.

Edited by gehringer_2