Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

FWIW my wife works in a hospital. For employees at this point it’s 5 days off. Regardless of test status b/c of lagging positives due to remnants.  If you feel fine then I think you are ok.  A pediatrician friend who is very cautious didn’t even retest to get back to normal.  All based on feel and the 5 days.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

CDC dropping quarantine recommendation for CV19 exposed students. 

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said on Thursday that it will no longer recommend schools or daycares quarantine students or run test-to-stay programs if students are exposed to COVID-19.

The agency also said it is no longer recommending unvaccinated people quarantine after exposure, saying around 95% of the U.S. population has either been vaccinated or had COVID-19 already, or both.

"Prior infection and vaccination confer some protection against severe illness, and so it really makes the most sense to not differentiate with our guidance or our recommendations based on vaccination status at this time," CDC scientist Dr. Greta Massetti said in a media briefing.

The CDC's school guidance also removed recommendations to keep children in cohorts in order to reduce the likelihoood of COVID-19 exposure.

Fairly official recognition that what was once a pandemic is now simply an endemic. 

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-cdc-no-longer-recommends-students-quarantine-covid-19-exposure-2022-08-11/

Edited by gehringer_2

16 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

CDC dropping quarantine recommendation for CV19 exposed students. 

Fairly official recognition that what was once a pandemic is now simply an endemic. 

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-cdc-no-longer-recommends-students-quarantine-covid-19-exposure-2022-08-11/

Good, my daughter missed 8 weeks of school in 2020 because of exposure never getting sick. Last year (21-22 school year) in Indiana schools had no mask mandates and no remote learning and no spikes. Remote learning is crap and does not work. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Gentleman said:

I was waiting for this shoe to drop. Moderna had been developing the mRNA tech since MERS/SARS. There is no real scientific/tech question it's their tech, only whether they did enough to protect it against Pfizer's particular implementation. But Pfizer's legal team is probably bigger than their research team so good luck.

Welp, the bastard finally got me. Had a trip planned this week with four stops, starting with my brother in Cincinnati, parents in Dayton... Final night with my brother, I noticed a scratchy throat. He had been taking some Clairton for allergies, so we decide to do the home test before I go up to my parents today. His was very positive, mine was negative, so I got out of there, checked into a hotel, got the rapid NAAT this morning and started heading south, preparing to turnaround if negative. Sure enough, positive. I wanted to note two rapid Antigens (one last night, one this morning)

Luckily I drove so was able to drive back today to quarantine at home and not get stranded or infect a hotel. Overall, just kinda feel like I had a vaccine yesterday minus the arm pain plus a bit of a head cold. We'll see how it goes.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

Welp, the bastard finally got me. Had a trip planned this week with four stops, starting with my brother in Cincinnati, parents in Dayton... Final night with my brother, I noticed a scratchy throat. He had been taking some Clairton for allergies, so we decide to do the home test before I go up to my parents today. His was very positive, mine was negative, so I got out of there, checked into a hotel, got the rapid NAAT this morning and started heading south, preparing to turnaround if negative. Sure enough, positive. I wanted to note two rapid Antigens (one last night, one this morning)

Luckily I drove so was able to drive back today to quarantine at home and not get stranded or infect a hotel. Overall, just kinda feel like I had a vaccine yesterday minus the arm pain plus a bit of a head cold. We'll see how it goes.

i'm very confident I had it about 4-6 weeks ago, especially as I hung out with my brother (and shared a room) on a family reunion trip last week and didn't get sick as he went from completely fine on a Friday night, to chills/fever as he woke up Saturday.  4-6 weeks ago I had the same symptons as him, 1.5 days of a sore throat, .5 days of chills feeling warm/cold inside those 1.5 days.  By day 2, felt pretty good, day 3, felt fine.  Hope the same for you.

I feel like I had it about six weeks ago, along with the girlfriend. We went up to the UP to see friends, came back home and a day later we were both sick. Really bad colds. Most of the other people up north also ended up getting sick, and everyone took negative rapid tests. Felt mostly better in about four days, and then we both got sick again about 24 hours after feeling better. Took my fourth negative COVID rapid test after I got sick again. So I think we had some bad cold, got over that and possibly caught COVID when we had just gotten over the first thing. Never tested positive, but a small cough lingered for weeks. The girlfriend went to the doctor last week because she still had a cough and it was bronchitis. 

• 2 weeks later...

My timeline...

First noticed scratchy throat Sunday Aug 28. Tested negative with antigen that night and the next morning. Scheduled NAAT at Walgreens because of my exposure and that was positive the Monday of the 29th.

I was pretty sick until Thursday Night. Body aches/sore throat/fatigue. I've had a lingering cough since. My daily antigens weren't negative until Friday the 9th. I've noticed some brain fog, mostly typos or having a hard time coming up with a word.

30 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Both kids tested positive on Saturday. I've taken three tests since (one about two hours ago) and am negative on all three. That said, I think I had the Vid back in May so my natural immunity might be working.

It took a while for my antigens to show positive. I'd treat it like COVID if you have any symptoms at all.

I know a few people who have had quick turnaround cases. This new strain seems to beat immune systems.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

Does something like that make you feel better?  That it was "despicables" that died at a higher rate?  Not sure the point of it all.

He just posted it, didn't even comment let alone gloat.  It needs to be pointed out that getting the vaccine is beneficial, especially if you're older and therefore at a greater risk of this virus.  Note, this is coming from the husband of a women that is still dealing with hypersensitivity to getting the Covid booster and flu shot at the same time last year.  She just got done with another round of testing and she is officially #X (can't remember the exact number and if it was specific to Moderna or Covid booster as a whole, but it was something around number 20) that is dealing with long term issues related to this vaccine.

The odds you or anyone you know would deal with her issue are closer to the odds of winning the lotto, but if you have anyone with any auto-immune issues already, I would suggest spacing out boosters and the flu vaccines.

• Like 1