Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

My county moved into COVID high zone yesterday.

I did not wear a mask to the gym (nobody does). My assumption there is that anybody there is making the choice to be there.

I stopped by Target and put one on there. I think I saw one other person wearing one.

I tried masking at the gym... it just doesn't work. I stick to the treadmill and do my weight stuff at home when cases are high. I just need a climate controlled place to do cardio. Fending off type 2 diabetes is more important than trying to avoid a disease I have four shots against that make it pretty mild, I hate to say.

51 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

……. And this is pretty much why this virus will continue to mutate and mutate and mutate. 

Well, it was always going to do that, right? After all, the seasonal flu we get today is a direct descendant of the 1918 “Spanish” flu.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

I think at this point it is just like the flu. Contagious but hospital numbers are still low.  It will never be contained.  

yup, just like every other low virulence circulation virus that entered circulation over the millenia. The people who are uniquely susceptible were in trouble, but the larger population develops immunity from exposure, and in the modern case we have vaccines to accelerate that process by orders of magnitude, plus Paxlovid to help the people whose immunity doesn't respond as well. 

I was talking to an acquaintance with family in China, the government there still not ready to concede that they simply have to learn to live with it.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/06/15/floridas-skips-ordering-covid-19-kids-vaccines-00040071

The fact this hasn't been huge news kind of shows Covid is on the back burner.  I do think if parents want to give this to their kids and it's been approved, the state should support it, but i'm not terribly upset either.  Kids were never at high risk of serious illness or spreading it.  I'm still pro-vaccine, but my wife is still dealing with issues which they insist are a result of the vaccines (flu and covid booster together). If I had kids under 5 I probably wouldn't give it to them.

I do think a lot of <5 year-olds have natural immunity at this point... It sure sounds like a lot of my friends who have kids in day care that caught a breakthrough case... the kid didn't get it at the same time. Or they tested the kid for antibodies and they had it.  Having said that, I'd definitely get them a shot, unless a doctor gave me a damn good reason not to.

Still, fuck DeSantis and his hand-picked antivax surgeon general.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oblong said:

That surgeon general is a hack.  It's malpractice what he's doing and the fact DeSantis has people like that around makes him scarier in some ways than Trump.

He absolutely IS scarier than Trump because he’s learned from Trump’s mis-steps, and he’s a hell of a lot smarter than 45.  He’s also crueler.  

And, there’s people who will be tapped by him for an administration that have the same mindset and are more government savvy than anyone of 45’s minions.

Scary, indeed.

He does have a whiny high pitched voice that comes across as very irritating... that could have an effect on his appeal in a primary matched up with someone like a Nikki Haley.

I saw the video where he yelled at the HS kids for wearing a mask at a press conference.  Just a total bully.   If he did that to  my kid I would have knocked him on his ass and gladly accepted any consequences. 

41 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Take a look at this list.  The more liberal your state is, the longer you'll live.  It's almost a pefect correlation!

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/public-health/life-expectancy-by-state-cdc.html

Education is probably the common factor. Better educated. people live longer and vote democratic, also support education so that their states stay better educated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...