Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

We go to a martial arts gym 2x a week and everyone still wears them there.   Occasionally at stores.  There's no rule for it at my daughter's school but she wears it quite a bit still and it looks like a sizable number of kids at her school do as well.

2 hours ago, pfife said:

We go to a martial arts gym 2x a week and everyone still wears them there.   Occasionally at stores.  There's no rule for it at my daughter's school but she wears it quite a bit still and it looks like a sizable number of kids at her school do as well.

I wondered if schools still required them.

22 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

So how many of you Michiganders are still masked up?

We still wear them at work when in meetings with others. Technically it is not required, but it's very rare to actually see someone not wearing one in a meeting. This practice saved me from getting it, as I had a meeting with my boss on Monday (where she seemed totally fine) then on Tuesday she was a coughing/hacking mess and tested positive that afternoon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

We still wear them at work when in meetings with others. Technically it is not required, but it's very rare to actually see someone not wearing one in a meeting. This practice saved me from getting it, as I had a meeting with my boss on Monday (where she seemed totally fine) then on Tuesday she was a coughing/hacking mess and tested positive that afternoon.

We had a few people at my work test positive in the last few weeks. We send them home for 2-3 days(Until symptoms stop) lysol wipe there desks and thats it. Same thing in schools, no more contact trace.

Random COVID thought I had after being exposed (and dodging the bullet) a couple weeks ago...

Say I am vaccinated and fully boosted and find out a close contact had COVID. Would I be more or less likely to catch it from that person (given that we know already they had COVID) if they were vaccinated/boosted or not?

I would say actually MORE likely in this scenario. Given that whatever strain the contact had is more likely to evade vaccine protection. Again, this is only conditional on the person already having COVID. This does not mean you are more likely to catch it from a random vaccinated person.

4 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Random COVID thought I had after being exposed (and dodging the bullet) a couple weeks ago...

Say I am vaccinated and fully boosted and find out a close contact had COVID. Would I be more or less likely to catch it from that person (given that we know already they had COVID) if they were vaccinated/boosted or not?

I would say actually MORE likely in this scenario. Given that whatever strain the contact had is more likely to evade vaccine protection. Again, this is only conditional on the person already having COVID. This does not mean you are more likely to catch it from a random vaccinated person.

I think we are getting back to more conventional epidemiology. The 'curve' is now pretty flat. Vaccines and Paxlovid have mitigated the threat to where the public is accepting the slow burn of the virus through the whole population. 

As an aside, this implies China is going to have to accept a pivot to a more effective vaccine or the lock downs there are going keep creating chaos for years more.

Edited by gehringer_2

5 hours ago, oblong said:

Decisions now must be made based on hospitalized from covid instead of with covid. That’s the only metric that should matter. 

Yep, we have reached "It's just the flu" stage for most ppl. Two years after the morons said it was.

Now, watch as I get a breakthrough case that knocks me on my ass. I'm living my life like somebody who may get it soon. All social systems go.

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I dont wear a mask anymore unless I have to.   I like that the social distancing where whever possible you leave 6 ft between you and others is still being practiced.  I hope that stays around permamently.  

Yes the vast majority of people are still doing that

On 5/15/2022 at 5:07 AM, Edman85 said:

I would say actually MORE likely in this scenario. Given that whatever strain the contact had is more likely to evade vaccine protection. 

That's an interesting point, although my guess is, people are getting sick with the variant that is around them period.  Add to the fact that vaccines/boosters do still show effectiveness in in the current variants. 

As such, my guess is, if you were in close contact with a vaccinated person or an unvaccinated person, with the same variant in both cases, the unvaccinated person is more likely to have more symptoms which may not be as noticeable to you at the time, but more likely to infect you.  I suspect much of this is the reason why we didn't see vast amounts of spread in schools, kids simply don't get as sick, have less symptoms, and as such, don't spread it amongst themselves as easily as others.