4/23 1:10 Rockies @ Tigers Game #1

Tigeraholic1

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

We win 13-0 and we didn't even have the largest shutout win of the afternoon, the Cubs curb stomped our arch rivals Pirates 21-0.

The Tigers have Pittsburgh as arch rivals, Colorado as geographical rivals, Arizona as traditional rivals,…. It’s just great.

I just watched the highlights...man, Skubal looks good.  He is so long, and I am no scout but that delivery lòoks so repeatable, he doesn't have to muscle up to throw 96 or 97, it just flows, and they had no chance against him.  If your dad had seen him in 1972 he would have said "this kid looks like a 20 game winner", he really does, that is what they used to look like.  He looks like Steve Carlton.  Al Avila stole this guy in broad daylight.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

I just watched the highlights...man, Skubal looks good.  He is so long, and I am no scout but that delivery lòoks so repeatable, he doesn't have to muscle up to throw 96 or 97, it just flows, and they had no chance against him.  If your dad had seen him in 1972 he would have said "this kid looks like a 20 game winner", he really does, that is what they used to look like.  He looks like Steve Carlton.  Al Avila stole this guy in broad daylight.

Skubal can throw his FB right down the middle and most times the batter will still do no damage. Some guys, every mistake goes yard. You can talk about “art of pitching” all you want, and no argument that many great pitchers make their living painting corners- Gomber being a good example last night. But I still love the guys who can say “Here it is, you still can’t hit it”, and Skubal is one who can live mostly on that side of the continuum. 

14 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

27 titles..........and this is how they act after a WIN?    Find the ones responsible (there are cameras everywhere) and ban them for life.   Just awful.  

I would like to see MLB discipline the Yankees organization as well. A game or two in an empty stadium, or loss of the ability to sell alcohol for a week would send a message to not just the knuckleheads who needed to make it all about them, but to every franchise and every fan of baseball that this won't be tolerated.

If it's not intrinsic, you have to create an environment against anyone doing this in the future. Want a beer at your next game? Point out the loser who threw his and don't join in.

7 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Steve Carlton ... good eyeball comp.

8 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

That's who he reminds me of.   Maybe not as good, but similar.   Carlton gave up a lot of home runs too, he might be close to the Top 10 of All-Time

Carlton's close all right. Certainly in the top 25.

If Skubal could be within even the top 1,000 pitchers of all time, that would be way more than anyome could expect from a typical ninth round afterthought pick. That would make him basically Brian Moehler (who basically had to career-collapse his way down to that). That's probably as good as any benchmark minimum to hope Skubal exceeds and be happy for his career if he does.

If Skubal could be top 100 of all time, he'd be challenging for a plaque in Cooperstown.

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

That's who he reminds me of.   Maybe not as good, but similar.   Carlton gave up a lot of home runs too, he might be close to the Top 10 of All-Time

the kick yes -  but Carlton was thin/wiry, not quite Chris sale, but visually Skubal is a brick outhouse by comparison. 🧱